RAM Upgrade

Sushi

Reaction score
I'm gonna be upgrading my RAM towards the end of July. I currently have 256mb of SDRAM, and I am debating between 2 different upgrades for RAM. One would be to buy 768mb (One 512 stick and one 256 stick) of SDRAM, bringing the total to 1024mb of SDRAM. Or I could buy a stick of 512 mb of DDR RAM. The first choice is only about $20 more expensive, which doesn't concern me very much. I just want to know which option would bring a bigger boost in performance.

Make sure your motherboard supports DDR :), mine dosent ;(

I'm 99% sure it does, i'm running a 2ghz processor on it

SDRAM isn't all that great...... but it is dirt cheap, so i would go with the bigger upgrade.

/me flexes his e-penis
my 1024mb corsair PC3200 DDR 400 ram>RDRAM>SDRAM

You can also mix and match different RAM technologies at the same time for interesting results.

what do oyu mean? as far as i know, you can't mix a 256MB stick of DDR RAM with a 512 stick of SDRAM.

you can't mix a stick of PC2100 DDR with a stick of PC 2700 DDR....

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
what do oyu mean? as far as i know, you can't mix a 256MB stick of DDR RAM with a 512 stick of SDRAM.

you can't mix a stick of PC2100 DDR with a stick of PC 2700 DDR....

I belive you can mix a stick of pc2700 and pc2100, but you have to make it run at the same speed. so, you would probally have to drop the pc2700 to pc2100. (I'm not sure at all, so if you know I'm wrong tell me)

GOING OFF ON A LIMB
I am not 100% sure, but i think you can pull off mixing sd and ddr if you get pc2100 (ddr266) to go with pc133 sdram. Dont take my word for it, because im just crazy, but i think you could try it and it wouldn't hurt anything. because of the way ddr works, it takes in a bit AND sends one out every cycle, as apose to sd where is takes one in OR sends one out every cycle. So ddr266 is really only 133 mghz, but it acts as though it was 266 mghz.

I got carried away. Anyways, seeing as how i dont see HL2 using 900 megs of ram i think you would be fine just getting 512 ddr and using it.

But what would be the point of paying more to underclock your RAM?

is rdram really better than ddrram? what's the difference? what about drdram? aaaagggghhhhh!!!!!!

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
But what would be the point of paying more to underclock your RAM?

Well, there is none unless you plan to upgrade later. You could go the other way and try to overclock it, but thats not the best idea.

rdram is only supported by older intel boards (i think) so its not worth buying it.

If your computer has SDRAM right now you cant in know way in hell put DDR RAM in it. If you do say buh-bye to your mobo and whatever else fries in the process.

No you cannot mix and match different speeds of DDR, if you do you risk frying your PC

Back