Rate your mouse

VirusType2

Reaction score
Please list the make/model of your mouse (usually written on a sticker on the bottom)

Then give it a rating.

(please specify the max, for example: 5/5, 5/10)

I'll start. The last several mice I've owned:

Logitech mx518 (1600dpi version): 92/100 (Near perfect. very uncomfortable, various other complaints)

Razer Deathadder (1600dpi version): 93/100 (near perfect - mouse wheel is generally unlikable and has a glitch that causes erratic behavior. I RMA'd it and the 2nd one does it too.)

Microsoft Wireless Arc Mouse: 20/100 (very poor tracking)

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4: 40/100 (premature right click failure) EDIT: 2 of these failed the same way, after about a year - but I got my money back the first time

Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 4: 60/100

Microsoft Comfort Mouse: 60/100 (uncomfortable, nothing special)

I'm trying to find the right mouse - I have been for some time now.

Microsoft Intellimouse Optical

Simple 5 button mouse. Used it for years and years. I hate how mice have such weird form factors these days. Why'd they have to ruin the shape with the explorer?

I've used $5 craptastic mice up until I got my Razer a couple years ago.

$5 craptastic Microsoft mouse - 4/10

Razer Death Adder (1800dpi) - 9.5/10. No problems, ever, I love everything about this mouse. My only tiny complaint is the scroll wheel, which I would rather scroll smoothly rather than in notches. Beyond that this mouse is perfect.
Razer Naga - 8.8/10. My girlfriend uses this mouse. I love it for the most part, it's similar to the Death Adder except for a few things. It's not quite as ergonomic or comfortable to hold, and since there are 12 function buttons on the left side for your thumb it can be a little awkward (especially since, unlike the 2 left-side thumb buttons on the Death Adder, none of these function buttons are default bound to "forward" and "back" in web browsing).

I've used an mx518 quite a lot because I borrowed my roommate's for a while, but I don't remember it well enough to give it a proper rating. Probably 8/10.

Razer Death Adder (1800dpi I think, I bought it when it was released) - 9.8/10. It's almost perfect for my hand, it's light, looks cool. Actually there's really nothing bad since I like the notches while scrolling.

Razer Death Adder 9/10
Basically what Ennui said, but what also annoys me a little is that the mouse buttons are a little too responsive. If you even let your finger rest on it, it will click.

Some bland Microsoft optical mouse - 2/10

2 points for the red laser. Its old, every crevice is full of gunk and I constantly have to clean the wheel off. Really want to upgrade that and my keyboard.

Some bland Microsoft optical mouse - 2/10

2 points for the red laser. Its old, every crevice is full of gunk and I constantly have to clean the wheel off. Really want to upgrade that and my keyboard.

Only in the past few years did I start caring about quality input devices. For most of my life I've just used generic optical mice and whatever cheap keyboard I had lying around.

In the past couple years I've spent $60 on a mouse and $70 on a keyboard and I have to say I don't regret the decision at all. Not only do they function much better, but they look awesome and sexy and so far I've had no issues with hardware failure at all.

(fixed the double post forum hiccup btw, it seems to have resolved itself so I deleted relevant posts)

I usually don't care much for this stuff, but my keyboard is really bland looking and occasionally a key refuses to function. Really want one of those LED keyboards (with the keys that light up at night) because I often sit online after like midnight in darkness. Dunno if its really worth the money, or if I should get a clean looking, functioning, decent keyboard.

Let's see...

Razer Diamondback - 1600 DPI - 89/100
The form factor was AWFUL. You couldn't rest your hand on it AT ALL or else it would start to cramp. It's a longggggggggggg mouse. The side button placement was just dreadful. I realize it was for left and right handed people alike, but how in the hell are either going to reach the right/left side buttons respectively with their damn pinky?! I never used any of them for anything EVER except for when I wanted to try and change the DPI. It had 7 total buttons. Two thumb, two pinky, left/right click, and scroll button.

Which leads me to me next point, it had on the fly DPI. First mouse I ever heard of at the time and owned that did it so amazingly. That is probably one of the best things I've ever seen on any mouse to date. Razer knows how to do the on the fly thing. Other than that, The mouse lasted me from 2005-.... I stopped using it because I wanted a new mouse. It still works to this day PERFECTLY. The scroll wheel and buttons click just like they're new. The paint has worn off on the buttons and the sides have changed colour due to use, but it still works perfectly. Also, I was just reminded of this as I started to type below... This mouse is EXTREMELY precise and accurate. It was perfect. You move your hand slowly.... and it follows. No jittering. Nothing. Pretty good look with the rubbery side and clear body beaming it's red light through it, too.

PROS
  • On-The-Fly was perfect
  • Extremely Accurate
  • So damn durable
  • Conviently placed thumb buttons

CONS
  • Worst, most uncomfortable shape ever requiring the CLAW grasp
  • Pinky buttons were ridiculous for either lefty/righty

Microsoft Habu - 2000 DPI - 37/100
This mouse... I wanted to love this thing SO DAMN BAD, but there was one fatal flaw to it. It could not move slowly. Every line I ever drew came out jagged. Every time I would move the mouse slowly, it would jump around. You could change the polling rate, the DPI, and just flat out turn on smooth movement, and this thing still sucked donkey hooves. I cannot believe that people such as myself purchased it. The thing looked fantastic and had probably one of the most comfortable shapes I've felt in a long time.

It has a nice finish with rubbery buttons that are extremely grippy and a sweet blue light. The thumb buttons have 2 plates interchangeable. One for big thumb buttons and another for small ones. The button placement wasn't dreadful nor was it great. The thing also had 7 total buttons. However, the other two were placed in such an awful spot as well! RIGHT in this damn concavity between the mouse buttons and behind the scroll wheel. How the bloody hell is a person supposed to get those and make them useful? Whatever. Stupid Micro-Razer concoction. I'm done with this thing.

PROS
  • Great, GREAT comfortable shape that fit my hand perfectly
  • Buttons are extremely clicky
  • Awesome blue light design

CONS
  • Worst polling/accuracy EVER
  • Awful, AWFUL extra two buttons placement

Logitech G9 - 3200 DPI - 96/100
This mouse is amazing. I just got it at the beginning of this year, and it's perfect for me. The buttons are fantastic. The placement of everything makes me so happy. The scroll wheel tilts left to right which is fantastic when you want to switch tabs or use it to control your volume or anything of that sort. This guy is so very, very accurate. I don't think it's as accurate as the Diamondback, but it's extremely close. The look is pretty fantastic, too. It's nice and svelt and it's rather small but still comfy. The mouse has two changeable grip plates. One has a rubbery feel to it and the other has this gritty feel. I prefer the gritty, but the rubbery one has an extended lip to hold your thumb. The button placement for the thumbs is perfect. The sensitivity changer is right under the left button with an LED on it to show you what speed you're using.

It can also change colours/modes based on what application you are using. Say you use Photoshop or go to iTunes, it can change the configuration of buttons to do certain features. I have my left/right tilt to switch tabs in Chrome, and in iTunes/Zune/media player of choice, I have the thumb buttons to go to next/previous track and the tilt wheel to up the system volume/lower it. It's perfect. You can change the weight of the mouse as well. The scroll wheel has this cool feature to it that I personally don't use, but it's a good idea. You can turn off the click so it will endlessly scroll. Basically it works like those balls you scroll/use on one of those old school Golf arcade cabinet games.

PROS
  • Great button placement
  • Weight changing
  • Programmable everything
  • On the Fly sensitivy is awesome
  • Changable hand plates
  • Tilt scroll wheel

CONS
  • Not the most comfortable shape
  • The endless scroll wheel button is on the bottom

I love my Logitech G9, and I'll never trade it for anything in the world. This mouse is perfect. PERFECT.

I love it.
Everyone should buy it. That's all! :D

Logitech MX Revolution: 9/10. Very comfortable, loved the scroll wheel (you could flick it up or down and it would spin freely without the clickyness, or just scroll normally with the clickyness). Plus it was wireless, very responsive, and had a fantastically long life for each charge.

Logitech MX518: 8/10. Pretty comfortable, but I liked the Revolutions' form better. Scroll wheel is normal without the flick feature. Not wireless, which is lame. On-the-fly DPI changing is cool, but I find myself using it rarely. I bought this because the receiver for my Revolution crapped out or something after almost 2 years, and Logitech stopped making the Revolution.

Logitech Performance Mouse MX: 7/10 When Logitech sent me a replacement for my Revolution, they sent me this mouse. It looks nearly identical, but is just a much worse version. The rechargeable battery of the revolution was swapped out for two shitty rechargeable AA batteries. This knocked the lifetime of one charge down to less than 16 hours of use, whereas the Revolution could probably go 48+. The scroll wheel didn't do the flick thing, the side buttons felt cheap, like they'd break easy. One cool thing was that you could charge it from your computer via usb, and still use it at the same time (essentially becoming a wired mouse while you charged). The mini usb hub receiver it used is kinda cool, but pointless since only a handful of other logitech devices can use it, and I own none of them. I decided to just keep using the MX518 instead of this.

Razer Deathadder 10/10. Haven't had any problems whatsover. Could use maybe a couple more side buttons to bind to commands for fps's. Might get a new mouse here in a couple months. Probably will get a Steelseries Xai as I've heard excellent reviews for that as well.

Logitech MX Revolution: 9/10 - Very good mouse. Smooth and precise. Rechargeable wireless. Only 2 issues....apparently it's common for you to start charging it, and the battery LED will just flash red at you. Slamming it on the desk in the same position as you normally hold it with a decent amount of force fixes the issue. Tried myself, it worked. So for anybody who has this mouse with that problem, there you go.

Logitech MX 510: 9/10 - Great compliment to the MX Revolution. Wired and great for gaming. Haven't had any issues with precision *As I play a lot of FPS and StarCraft 2* and it's built well.

...based on what application you are using. Say you use Photoshop or go to iTunes, it can change the configuration of buttons to do certain features.
I'd like a feature like that. I use my side buttons for zooming in and out of photos, but I'd also like them to function as forward and back in my browser.

The tilt wheel is sort of a turn-off for me though. You really like it?

I'd like a feature like that. I use my side buttons for zooming in and out of photos, but I'd also like them to function as forward and back in my browser.

The tilt wheel is sort of a turn-off for me though. You really like it?
Honestly, I love it. I've never owned a tilt wheel mouse at all my whole life. The whole 21 years of me life, NEVER. Honestly, I've never used one either. It's not as if you'd notice it either if you didn't like it. It takes force to push it but not enough to struggle to push it. It's perfect if you don't want to use it.

It's exceptional. I use it in EVERYTHING. All the buttons except the On-The-Fly is bindable. It rules. You'd love it. :)

I have fairly long fingers though. I tend to curve my fingers quite a bit though, so I'm not sure it matters.

logitechg907.jpg

It looks pretty comfortable. It looks really wide, and I think I would prefer that since my hand is big. I might get this when it goes on sale. I'll read some reviews later on and see what they say.

I also like that it is wired. That's a requirement for me.

Up to 3200 dpi is awesome. 1600 is a little low for me on my high resolution monitor.

EDIT: by the way, are you sure you installed the drivers for your Habu? Without drivers, the mouse pointer can be jerky at slow speeds on my Deathadder.

Basic Logitech Optical Mouse - $15 - Almost owned for two years now.

6/10 - It's just average. It does everything I need it to. Never have problems with video games or anything.

by the way, are you sure you installed the drivers for your Habu? Without drivers, the mouse pointer can be jerky at slow speeds on my Deathadder.

Oh my gosh am I sure. YES I AM SURE. I downloaded and installed... probably 5 different versions of drivers for this guy. I tried to install different firmwares. I tried to do sooooooooo many things! It just sucks so bad.

Also, there is a G9x out now that goes up to 5700 DPI if you were interested in that.

I hate this Habu. I still have it. 15$ and you can be an owner of one, too, if you'd like! :)

Also, there is a G9x out now that goes up to 5700 DPI if you were interested in that.
I don't know, I think 3200 will be plenty, but thank you for mentioning that. You know, half the time I buy the older version of something because I wasn't aware there was an improved version. It happens to me all the time! RAGE

EDIT: Actually, I think I'll go for the 5700 DPI, just in case I like 4000 or something...

I think I like the shape of this optional 'ID grip'.

http://www.techgadgets.in/misc-gadgets/2008/06/logitech-g9-laser-mouse-id-grip-unveiled/

Hopefully you can order it without a custom image. But maybe I'd think of something I'd want.

Logitech MX510: 9/10
Pretty much perfect. Good tracking, good hand fit.

Logitech G500: 9.5/10
Just an improved MX. Better texture, on the fly DPI changes, ability to switch between smooth scrolling/clicked scrolling, etc.

Wacom Bamboo Fun 3.75 x 6 tablet mouse: 9.9999/10

Absolutely the most comfortable mouse I have ever used. It fits perfectly in the palm of my hand, and it runs on my tablet so the tracking is always great, plus I can customize all sorts of settings for it. Only nitpick is that the scrollwheel broke a few months ago (it came out of alignment with the little clicky thing inside the mouse) but I was able to fix it myself and it's worked fine ever since. I would not trade this mouse for love or money.

$10 random mouse: 8/10.

Never owned a better one in my life, so...

MX 518 -9.9, Works like a charm, had to have it replaced (for free) but it's still cool.

I disagree, mine is super comfortable. 10/10.

MX 518 -9.9, Works like a charm, had to have it replaced (for free) but it's still cool.

Do you guys have small hands or short fingers? Just curious. I don't have fat hands, but I'm tall and so I have longer fingers.

I think I would prefer a nearly flat mouse. The bubble on the mx518 is massive and really cramps my hand.

Maybe it's too narrow as well.

I don't know, I just remember trying to do some careful pixel by pixel movement for work, and that ****er used to kill me. Painful, painful hand cramp.

Could use slicker feet too.

Did you check your private messages?! I sent you one about the G9x being on sale for $40!
Thanks for looking out. I'm going to wait a while though - first because I don't really need a mouse right now and I'm on a budget, but also I'm thinking they may eventually improve it...

I sort of doubt they will improve it though because they seem to never update things (other than the tracking resolution). For example, after all these years and great success, the mx518 still has that horrible 'dented' graphic on it even, with no other choices available.

The improvement I'd like to see is based on the general consensus (from all the reviews I've read) is that the mouse wheel button is troublesome; hard to actuate the wheel button. What's your take on that issue?

Do you guys have small hands or short fingers? Just curious. I don't have fat hands, but I'm tall and so I have longer fingers.

I think I would prefer a nearly flat mouse. The bubble on the mx518 is massive and really cramps my hand.

Maybe it's too narrow as well.

I don't know, I just remember trying to do some careful pixel by pixel movement for work, and that ****er used to kill me. Painful, painful hand cramp.

Could use slicker feet too.
Not sure what you're saying. The most common complaint I've heard is that the mouse was too damn large. But I will mention that I use a wrist-rest which elevates my hand enough to be perfect with the mouse. Though I adapt easily enough to its absence too.

Not sure what you're saying. The most common complaint I've heard is that the mouse was too damn large. But I will mention that I use a wrist-rest which elevates my hand enough to be perfect with the mouse.

I'm just wondering if you had small hands or whatever, because the longer your fingers, the more curved inward your thumb/fingers would be.

I could see how the wrist-rest would help because the mx518 is tall. I've tried the rests, but I just can't get used to it. I like my mouse closer to the edge of the desk, else I'm reaching somewhat.

Oh yeah it took me a while to get used to this thing, but having kept my hand on it long enough, it conformed and now it's as comfortable as my head on a pillow. Helluva lot better than the old desk edge or 'hovering' behind the edge.

Oh yeah it took me a while to get used to this thing, but having kept my hand on it long enough, it conformed and now it's as comfortable as my head on a pillow. Helluva lot better than the old desk edge or 'hovering' behind the edge.

I could move my monitor back 6 inches, get a wrist-rest, and scoot my chair closer to the desk, so I won't have to reach far past the rest.

Might try that soon.

Oh there's an optimal position for your wrist too. I mean 1 inch off and it'll feel like a boa constrictor. You have to have that line that separates your hand from your forearm right in the middle of the pad. Or even the lower bony part of your hand.

Oh there's an optimal position for your wrist too. I mean 1 inch off and it'll feel like a boa constrictor. You have to have that line that separates your hand from your forearm right in the middle of the pad. Or even the lower bony part of your hand.

Yeah, I'm aware of it. It's the part at the bottom of your wrist where the tendons move to manipulate the fingers... It's some kind of pressure point that can eventually cause major wrist problems in the future, I believe. Maybe it's the tendons that move your hand up and down at the wrist. Either way, resting your wrist on the edge of a desk all the time is very bad.

That's why I've got the mouse close to the edge of my desk; so I can rest the bottom of my hand (instead of my wrist) on the edge. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it's not too bad.

I bought my first wireless mouse a few days, the microsoft 4000 mouse, and the buttons are probably the best I've ever felt. The only downside is the wheel-button is too stiff :(

microsoft-wireless-mobile-mouse-4000.jpg

My Logitech MX518 gets 9/10 because I have small-to-medium hands and the mouse has worked near-flawlessly for over four years.

It loses 0.75/10 because the scroll wheel is loud and its scroll impulse sometimes gets out-of-sync with the wheel clicks. It also loses 0.25/10 because the feet are not perfectly aligned, which makes the mouse tilt back and forth just enough to be slightly annoying at times.

MS Wheel Mouse Optical 7/10, set polling rate to 500Hz. It's great for using with a game sens around 20cm-35cm/360 and it runs about $10. Points off because of the cheap feel of the scroll wheel and the obnoxiously rigid cord.

Logitech MX300 9/10, set polling rate to 500Hz and get flawless performance. Point off for the weight, it's built like a tank, including the weight.

Back