Recommend me a new mouse

TwwIX

Tank
Reaction score
I have been using my Logitech MX310 for a bit over two years but it's starting to show its age. It has served me well but 800 DPI doesn't do me much when it comes to precision aiming in shooters.

I need a mouse with a similar design to the MX310 but something that is more precise and has a higher DPI. I like my mice to be on even level instead of the concave/convex designs that are so popular these days. If you have owned a MX310, you'll know what i mean.

Thanks.

Looking at the pictures back in the 1800's when the MX310 was made it isn't a million miles away from the standard gaming lovechild mouse the MX518, which is hugely popular amongst gamers. That could be an option.

A relatively flat mouse is something I've used for the past 2 years, the Razer Copperhead. If you intend to buy something which lasts then look at Razer's range to see if you like the look of them.

Looking at the pictures back in the 1800's when the MX310 was made it isn't a million miles away from the standard gaming lovechild mouse the MX518, which is hugely popular amongst gamers. That could be an option.

From the pictures that i have seen, i doubt that i would like the feel of the mouse. I have tested out mice with similar designs and i just can't get used to them. I like the top of my mouse to be on an even level instead of the sloped curve that so many of them have.

I was thinking of getting the Microsoft SideWinder X3. It's practically identical to the MX310 and has a DPI of up to 2000, which can be set manually.

Huh? The 518 and 310 look like they're almost the exact same shape. The 518 is bit longer, and the indent on the thumb side is slightly deeper.

I have the Razer Deathadder and its been going strong for ~2 years now with no problems.

Tcyf8.jpg
Got this guy (DeathAdder 3500) like two or three weeks ago. I've had absolutely no problems with it. Gotta love the pulsating Razor emblem.

Plus, I previously had a Logitech mx518 before. The transition went extremely smoothly. So if your like me, you shouldn't have any problems adapting.

I am either going for the Logitech LX8 or Microsoft's Sidewinder X3.

I thought i made myself clear that i stay away from the design abominations that most of you have brought up in this thread. I like my mice to have an even, ambidextrous design instead of the one handed, caved in hand print designs that the majority of today's mice use. Not to mention that they are all over priced.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions but i'll have to figure this out on my own.

Razer krait. No side buttons though, it's the only gripe.

Tcyf8.jpg
Got this guy (DeathAdder 3500) like two or three weeks ago. I've had absolutely no problems with it. Gotta love the pulsating Razor emblem.

Plus, I previously had a Logitech mx518 before. The transition went extremely smoothly. So if your like me, you shouldn't have any problems adapting.

Got the exact same mouse. I love it.

I waited several years to get the Deathadder, and finally decided the price had gone down enough and got it. Then like a couple months later they released a higher DPI version. :rolleyes:

It could be faster (I would prefer), but even the 1600 DPI version is pretty fast at the highest speed (without using bullshit acceleration), even on my new, higher resolution monitor.

For me, it's more comfortable than my mx518 and looks better. I like everything about it better except that I ****ing hate the scroll wheel. Jesus, it's shit. Did they improve that any on the new Deathadder? Eh, doubt it.

Using the MX518 at work and a Razer Diamondback at home, and I think I prefer the Razer. I like the relative flat shape of it and the lovely bendable cord that never gets in your way.

The MX518 and MX310 have very similar shapes. The curve is a bit sharper on the mx310 at the back while the curve on the M518 is more constant across the whole mouse. But the degree of the slope way up by the buttons is the same. Although the piece that sticks out under the thumb is more pronounced on the MX518.

This is a bit more even all around but discontinued.

I thought i made myself clear that i stay away from the design abominations that most of you have brought up in this thread. I like my mice to have an even, ambidextrous design instead of the one handed, caved in hand print designs that the majority of today's mice use. Not to mention that they are all over priced.
A relatively flat mouse is something I've used for the past 2 years, the Razer Copperhead. If you intend to buy something which lasts then look at Razer's range to see if you like the look of them.
431_1232998856.jpg

Hey, just saying. If you want advice look up the things suggested. You get what you pay for.

431_1232998856.jpg

Hey, just saying. If you want advice look up the things suggested. You get what you pay for.

I am interested in it but i can't find any consistent info on it. It supposed to have 7 buttons yet i only see 3 from the closeups that i could i find. Is there more than one DPI setting (400, 800 etc.) or are you stuck with 2000 DPI?

Don't buy Razer products, it's like shit covered in gold with blue LEDs on it.

Get a Logitech G500. I've been using one for a long time now, and it's great. Comfortable and efficient.

EDIT: Just as I posted that, this happened.

2ymjcpj.png

Get a Logitech G500. I've been using one for a long time now, and it's great. Comfortable and efficient.

It's a non ambidextrous design.

So, no.

Why do you change mouse sides? I mean I can understand being ambi but is there a reason to doing it?

It's a non ambidextrous design.

So, no.

Well, your loss. It's a great mouse.

EDIT:
If you're right handed, get a mouse that is optimized for right handed people for maximum comfort. No reason to get an ambidextrous mouse.

Who said that i change hands? I simply prefer an even leveled, ambidextrous mouse.

Why is that so hard to comprehend?

Because thats dumb. Not that shapes ever matter really. I hated this MX318 shape after using the MX Revolution, but a day later its perfectly comfortable. The shape should have no bearing over the quality of the mouse you chose.

Because thats dumb. Not that shapes ever matter really. I hated this MX318 shape after using the MX Revolution, but a day later its perfectly comfortable. The shape should have no bearing over the quality of the mouse you chose.

So, i am dumb because i dislike what you like? How nice.
They may not matter to you but they do to me.
But thanks for reminding me to not post in this forum section again.

Apart from Hectic and The Brick, none of you actually bothered to read what i have posted and/or are just simply too stubborn to understand that some people have different tastes from yours.

Anyway. Thanks for the recommendation, Glenn. You can now lock the thread before it goes further out of hand.

Having used the DeathAdder for some time all other mouses I have tried felt like garbage.

The Copperhead does have 4 sidebuttons (2 on each side). It has regular DPI settings (400-800-1600-2000 if I remember correctly). Though the shape only lends itself (comfortably) for claw grips. I'd say try before you buy.

The Krait I mentioned is sort of a smaller version of the copperhead, but without side buttons.

Also, I've never had any problems with razer mice. They work fine with or without drivers (better with), and the build quality of the hardware has always been impressive to me (I've taken apart quite a few mice). I only don't like the slippy mouse wheel that was also too far to the front for me. But I tried to hold it in a way it wasn't designed for.

But I'm serious on the 'try before you buy'. Isn't there a mall or computer shop that has a bunch (of dummy versions) of them exhibited?

Your best options mouse wise is the

Razer Death Adder
or
Logitech MX518

They are both corded OPTICAL which is what you want as Optical has much better tracking then laser mice. I found that out the hardway and ended up having to buy a second mouse.

So, i am dumb because i dislike what you like? How nice.
Not at all what I said. I said it shouldn't matter, Not that you should like the mouse I use. Neither did I say you were dumb, but that your philosophy of "ambidextrous or bust" was.

But thanks for reminding me to not post in this forum section again.

No problem. Every time you post in this section you get all pissy when people say anything.

Maybe if you wouldn't slam it down every time you get owned online it wouldn't be in bad shape.

I haven't had so much as one single problem with either my Deathadder or my Lycosa. If you take good care of it you don't have problems.

Indeed, I've had mine for 2 years as it's only a little dirty due to my neglect to clean it. The feet / laser / buttons and grip are all still in top shape. I don't intend to replace it for at least another 2 years. At which point I'll buy another Razer considering the build quality.

As Brick already mentioned there are side buttons on both sides, in the exact same place to keep the ambidextrous feature. The default functions are the usual forward / back on the left side and the on-the-fly sensitivity change for the other two (up and down).

Other people have recommended other Razer mice which might also be worth looking at with newer tech like ridiculous DPI values.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm considering buying another mouse.

I got my Deathadder over 2 years ago, but it's started to disconnect constantly and occasionally stops working altogether. I'd pry it apart and solder them back together, but I don't have much access to a workshop atm, and it's starting to show it's age anyway - the rubber on the right mouse button has begun to peel off. I did love it, though. It was a brilliant mouse while it lasted, it's just a shame it's only lasted this long.

So I now have a few options:
Replace my Deathadder, and hope it was a one-off, spending £40 for the 3500dpi upgrade.
Buy a cheaper mouse for £10 - £20 less and know that if it breaks, I didn't spend too much on it. I've heard that the MX518 is brilliant, particularly for the price.
Buy a different, but slightly more expensive mouse. This would be something like the Razer Imperator or the SteelSeries Xai.

I've read some good reviews on the Imperator, but it's £55, and the Xai is even closer to £60. I don't care much for weights or excessive buttons, so both of these suit my style; simple yet functional.

Has anyone here used a SteelSeries mouse, or have any opinions other than those expressed? I'd be more than happy to pay £50 if I know it'll last. I was really happy with my last Razer mouse, but feel I might as well get a better mouse if one's available now.

Get the Logitech G5. Its about £30-40 depending where you buy it.

Best, most rugged and well built mouse around. Had mine now for 2 years, only taken it apart once to clear out the congealed and sticky coke residue after spilling over it.

Logitech_G5.jpg

Had some good reviews, but I couldn't find it sold on scan, aria, ebuyer or microdirect. Few places seem to sell it anymore.

Keeping in mind I'm also buying a harddrive and a headset, I'd prefer to buy them all from the same place to save on P&P.

My dad has that G5 and it's pretty nice. I don't like it as much as my MX1000 but you'll have a hard time finding one of those.
The G500 is the latest version and is a refreshed and updated G5. It looks much nicer to me as well.
26-104-318-TS

I have been using my Logitech MX310 for a bit over two years but it's starting to show its age. It has served me well but 800 DPI doesn't do me much when it comes to precision aiming in shooters.

I need a mouse with a similar design to the MX310 but something that is more precise and has a higher DPI. I like my mice to be on even level instead of the concave/convex designs that are so popular these days. If you have owned a MX310, you'll know what i mean.

Thanks.
The Razer Boomslang?

9WdPo.jpg

You might find it on sale somewhere. It's expensive.

My mouse is the Sidewinder X5.

Absolutely no problems so far, feels great, works great, and doesnt break the bank (compared to Razer mice).

I tried a Razer mouse not too long ago. It felt alright, but moving the mouse sometimes pinched my skin between the mouse and the mousepad.

My dad has that G5 and it's pretty nice. I don't like it as much as my MX1000 but you'll have a hard time finding one of those.
The G500 is the latest version and is a refreshed and updated G5. It looks much nicer to me as well.
26-104-318-TS

I think I'd prefer the G5. Apparently the buttons on the G500 are awkward, and I personally don't like the shape.

I think I'll be going for the slightly more expensive Imperator, unless anyone has any reason why it's a bad idea.

To be honest with Razers you pay more for the name than the product.

Logitechs have always been well priced but superior quality.

Microsoft mice have always been a joke for me.

Unfortunately, with most brands of mice, you end up paying for the name. I prefer the older style of Logitech, the MX518 and maybe the G5. The newer G500 and G9 I don't like much.

The Xai has come down by a couple of quid, and it's now pretty much exactly the same price as the Imperator. I'm now back one step trying to choose between the two. Some people complain about the glossy grip on the Imperator/Deathadder, and I can understand why. The Xai also has two extra buttons on the right side of the mouse. Useful?

Edit: Yeah, Xai has several good reviews, with the only common disadvantage being the accidental pressing of the right buttons, but. I think I'd be paying for the extra technology on the mouse ExactX and whatever. With the Imperator, I'd be paying for glowing lights and a Razer logo. So the only other decision would be between ambidextrous or right-handed.

I think it'd be sensible to go with SteelSeries considering how my Deathadder ended up.

I use the Razer lights to warm my hand in the winter, and turn them off in summer. It's great.

Chiming in as another ultra-satisfied Death Adder owner of about 2 years. On this basis I recommend the symmetric Razer that Glenn posted.

Back