Recommend my friend a good gaming laptop for college

Schmollian220

Reaction score
So one of my buddies asked me to find him a good gaming laptop for college. Money is basically not an issue (he can spend a little over $3000). The thing is, I am a desktop guy. I have built all of the desktop PCs that I have used over the years, yet I have no idea what to say to him when it comes to laptops.

Personally I said Alienware. But he says he is suspicious of Alienware. He says that he has heard of many that have had problems with the company.

So I am here to ask what would be the best brand to look at?

If money really isn't an issue he should get a gaming desktop and a college laptop that is light and portable. Hauling a supercomputer around on your back is neither good for you nor fun.

If money really isn't an issue he should get a gaming desktop and a college laptop that is light and portable. Hauling a supercomputer around on your back is neither good for you nor fun.

I'd do this if he had $3000 to spare. You can split it easily with around $2000 towards a desktop and $1000 towards a good performing laptop.

I hate how Alienware is the first thing that pops into people's heads when they think "gaming computer."

That said, I too am not familiar with gaming laptops, but i'll just say that I doubt he'd want a desktop, especially if he is just starting college and will be living in shitty dorms and whatnot.

Personally I said Alienware. But he says he is suspicious of Alienware. He says that he has heard of many that have had problems with the company.

So I am here to ask what would be the best brand to look at?

Steer clear of the AlienWare. Not only is it a huge markup for the brand name, but their computers are not all that great.

If you want to just throw parts together where you'll pay a little more for the hassle of not ordering it all separately and putting it together, Ennui and I have both used http://ibuypower.com/ before, though on desktops.

If you're looking for something cheap that you want to just get already built, check out Dells or Compaqs.

The trouble with this is that it's like asking someone where they would like to be stabbed. Gaming laptops aren't really a good idea in my opinion.

Gaming machines generate heat, laptops have less space to dissipate the heat. Therefore laptops are either;
1. Big
2. Hot
3. Not as powerful as their desktop counterparts

Unfortunately, the one I bought 3 years ago was a healthy balance of all 3.

Anyway, if he's adamant he wants one, I'd get the one with the best graphics card I could afford. It's always going to be the limiting factor with future games.

EDIT: Didn't fully read the question, sorry :eek:

I personally would go for a Dell xps or similar. Don't buy Alienware.

Back