Release date woes

A

Armageddon

I just pre-ordered HL2 from Electronics Botique and was, to my horror, informed that they have the release date as November 15th. Someone allay my fears and tell me this is just EB hedging their bets.

So I guess when you get it is dependent on who you buy it from ;)

Don't worry, when I get my copy of HL2 on Sept. 30... I'll post screenshots for you to salivate over while you wait :LOL:

Relax man that is not a truth VALVe confirmed the relase in the Sept. 30.So just relax and wait on the Half-Life 2

Relex,

Valve got much time left for masturbating :)

They are now testing the gameplay (the coding, mapping, moddeling etc is already finished)

They got the whole summer to test the maps... :)

actually its like 3/5's finished core wize its about 4/5's but tweaking and adding final features is a big part of what they will be doing... valve love a nicely fine tuned product
but it'll be ready for us

no actually im pretty sure its just about done...otherwise they wouldnt keep saying its sept 30 because if they were only 50% or 75% done the important stuff then theres a chance they run into a problem and miss september 30 by a few months. if they were extremely close to completion they would keep saying sept 30 sept 30 sept 30 sept 30 sept 30 sept 30 etc..

I think we can tell from the video it's pretty much done, just a few finishing touches need to be added and who knows, if they finish it early.... :)

Excellent. I'll keep September 30th circled on my calendar then. I might have to erase it, however, if Bilko's conjecture is right...

Originally posted by Bilko
I think we can tell from the video it's pretty much done, just a few finishing touches need to be added and who knows, if they finish it early.... :)

not in a life time will that happen, erm..i think..

Release date is September 30th, despite what game store release dates say now, it will be in September 30th :)

Which do you trust more, regarding HL2 ino:

Electronics boutique, or Valve.

What I'm interested in is wether the UK release date is 30 Sept, as there is a general trend towards releaseing films and games in the US first.....

yea its kinda odd, i heard that its sept 30 for both uk and us

Derby, I do believe Valve is planning a world wide simultaneous release.

On a related note, has anyone else ever thought that game companies should set release dates a month or so after they intend to release them? That way, everyone's happy when the game comes out "early" and there's less anger if the game is delayed.

I wonder how many topics like "OMFG! I HAVE HL2!!!!!!!!!1" there will be at 30 sept :)

But you know guys....i will have it before you....i will...

majestic, you definately wont have it before me:)

Are you guys getting it via steam? My guess is that will be the quickest way to get it

I companies may well do the "annouce release date one month after we plan to finish"

But the development time will expand to fill time available. If tthey find they're done before the relsease date they'll always find more ttweaking to do....

I really hope that they release HL2 at the same time, worldwide. It's so annoying when they release things later in Europe.

steam sucks. ill be touching my actual game box :)

i wouldn't expect hl2 at least until 2004, valve is always so bad at telling release dates take a look at tf2 for example

As they're releasing it on Steam, it means a simultaneous worldwide retail release as well. Otherwise all of Sierra's European and global retail customers would be mighty pissed off at losing sales. Which means, it will have to go gold well in advance of Sept 30 to make sure enough copies can be both pressed and distributed globally. Valve have surely planned for this.

I'll likely get it via Steam as I live on the Arctic Circle in Lapland (no joke). But I'll probably pick up a boxed copy later on, maybe limited edition, if it's cool enough.

dont worry guys..when i get HL2 through steam a week before it hits shelves ill keep ya up to date on everything thats going on

Originally posted by Jager
Don't worry, when I get my copy of HL2 on Sept. 30... I'll post screenshots for you to salivate over while you wait :LOL:
Ha im getting mine on the 29th. And ill post screenshots too!

Originally posted by djkanuk
As they're releasing it on Steam, it means a simultaneous worldwide retail release as well. Otherwise all of Sierra's European and global retail customers would be mighty pissed off at losing sales. Which means, it will have to go gold well in advance of Sept 30 to make sure enough copies can be both pressed and distributed globally. Valve have surely planned for this.

I'll likely get it via Steam as I live on the Arctic Circle in Lapland (no joke). But I'll probably pick up a boxed copy later on, maybe limited edition, if it's cool enough.

It is not valves nor sierras problems whether or not there losing sales, its valves game, the retailers have nothing to do with how it is released. Valve WILL release the game early before it hits shelves most likley because they didnt waste 3yrs developing steam to just not give it a good test. They would prefer people to buy games via steam

What the hell are you guys talking about?

Getting HL2 via steam over the internet? you gonna download probally 2gb of hl2 files?

What about buying HL2 just in a normal store?

I'm getting my copy on... say.. if it arrives about october 1st :cool:

About getting it on steam, I wouldn't sit there for 2 days waiting for a 2 gig dl. Poor 56kers:cheers:

Originally posted by Shockwave
It is not valves nor sierras problems whether or not there losing sales, its valves game, the retailers have nothing to do with how it is released. Valve WILL release the game early before it hits shelves most likley because they didnt waste 3yrs developing steam to just not give it a good test. They would prefer people to buy games via steam
Sorry Shockwave, but a publisher like Sierra depends on retailers buying their games in big numbers. You know those games that end up the bargain bin? That's the retailer swallowing the loss, not Valve or Sierra. Whatever small amount of the sales that come through Steam will likely be eaten up by the cost of the servers and customer service. Valve are just doing this to establish a new business model, but they'll probably lose money the first time round. Valve have already stated this in magazine interviews, and said that they will work with retailers to set up Steam servers so they can also get their piece of the action.

I warned people not to pre-order online. Even if you get it 2 or 3 days later it would still suck. I would go crazy if I had to wait that long.

And it should definatelly be released by Sept. 30. I mean there are already guides being written for it. That means the production version is ready, more or less.

The way Steam is supposed to work, is that it only downloads the files you need to start playing, and then continues to download while you play. There are less files than would be on the full install CD, since you configure Steam to your system's specs. So instead of downloading ALL the sound drivers, for example, it would just dl the one for your card.

Of course, Steam made a tremendous pfft with the CS 1.6 beta and had to be suspended, so I'm crossing my fingers that they can work out the kinks. It would be kind of cool if it worked. I don't think I'll see a retail copy in these parts before Christmas, and waiting for Amazon or whoever to deliver... I just want it NOW.

LOL you guys are lucky, they only just started bringing in the new set of mags with HL2 previews in em over here :'(

Oh well, my birthdays in October anyway :)

God i am not gonna be anywhere near these forums on the 30th because i am gonna be busy playing the game! I wont have time to stop and post in the forums!

In USA and Europe is relase in Sept. 30 in Yugoslavia Oktober 1st,2nd,3rd.

Valve talked about the fact that in the past, they've made mistaked with release dates. Now they made sure they planned EVERYTHING, so they won't make the mistake again.
That's why they waited so long to even announce it.

Info = from PCZONE BENELUX

xenome thats great news, i was gettin a bit nervous myself

/me to.. but i still dont expect it on 30sept. but it would be a great suprise if Valve pulls it of

u dont think itll be out sept 30th evil?

well.. no.. this is because I dont want to be dissapointed. (I cant handle it because I am just a weak little cute EVIL)

aww poor baby, but valve is usually right on the dot with their releases, they would tell us way in advance if the date was crumbled

With freeky red dots that make you think of eyes.

I think it will be out on the daate they set. If it isnt, well lets just say Snark wont be seeing his turbo crowbar for some time while i go over to the states to visit valve.

i think valve is somewhere near my house, well not NEAR, like 50 miles away, but not too far off

Back