Replica Guns (Legal?)

Mutley

Tank
Reaction score
Are these legal or not (England)? I'm talking REALLY realistic replicas, that do everything except the ability to fire live rounds.

I've read that there are new laws (dating from 2006-2008) that disallow anyone to own them or sell them:
http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news_info/police_operations/saferstreets/replica-guns2.htm

In the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006, it says manufacturing/selling them is illegal but I can't find anything about owning them (but if I buy one do I break the law?):
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts2006/ukpga_20060038_en_5#pt2-pb5

Help meeeeeeee. I would like to start collecting, I wouldn't be using them in public or anything.

It depends, like if you have some sort of permit to use them in film you can buy them. At shops I've seen they have a sign that says they will not sell you them unless you have some sort of special permit with a special reason. At the end it also says some sort of warning about carrying it in public.

I'm sure the law is that you can own one by having a permit, but owning one, as long as you keep it for your own person display, and don't flash it around in public, should be fine.
But a lot of places wont sell them to you.

It probably won't leave my house but in the unlikely event of police knowing I have some, would I get in bother for possessing them?

It sucks how you can't just collect them - and I doubt you could get a permit with that excuse. :(

Do you have police raids often?

Anyways, if you like guns and practice with guns in general, I'd suggest not buying replicas. Why? Because you'll be used to dicking around with little harmless replicas and break that safety mentality you have with a real gun.

The problem is that many of them can easily converted to fire live rounds. If you illegally had possession of some in your home, you'd probably get a slap on the wrists, but it's really not worth the risk. I don't see how collecting things that are specifically built to kill can be considered healthy. But my views are of course jaded by UK law, obviously I'd be biased.

I don't see how collecting things that are specifically built to kill can be considered healthy. But my views are of course jaded by UK law, obviously I'd be biased.

Replicas are not built to kill, lol.

You can get modified replicas that are dangerous and can explode in your hands, while you are shooting, it was on the news that most gangs used them and that some guy made them in his backyard shed.

in the borders of somalia people bury guns in the dirt to hide them from the law and then when no one is around they go back to take them

maybe you can try that and you get a real one!

You can get modified replicas that are dangerous and can explode in your hands, while you are shooting, it was on the news that most gangs used them and that some guy made them in his backyard shed.

I laughed pretty hard at that statement. The way you said it made it sound like people are specifically buying replicas that are dangerous so they can explode in their hands while they are shooting.

lol seriously why do you want to collect fake guns, do you like to play cops and robbers or something? Why not just get the next best thing: paintball guns.

Replicas are not built to kill, lol.

No... But they're replicas of something which is. At least if you like guns that shoot, you know they have a purpose. What exactly is the point of replicas? So you can feel hard and admire the craftsmanship?

How they look? My brother collects special guns from movies, Terminator Pulse Rifle, Robocop Pistol, Hellboy Samaritan, etc. He has them on a big display on his wall. They don't really kill people but it's a nice looking display :p

Anyways, you are making it sound like Mutley has something morally wrong with him for collecting something which emulates an object that kills people.

Sounds like your brother collects movie paraphernalia rather than simple gun replicas.

Anyways, I don't think he has something morally wrong with him. I don't think he is going to go on a mad rampage or anything, I just personally don't see the point and was wondering as to what people see in it. :p

P.S Does your bone obsession give you sexual gratification?

Because since I went to Sweden and bought an original flag from the Soviet Union and saw this mad-mans collection of gear I was really interested and since have being researching and looking for more things to add to my collection.

I have a chance to get my hands on a replica PPS41 Submachine Gun (which was used at the peak of WWII by the USSR). That looks, weighs and operates exactly like the real thing, however it can't fire live rounds.

You can think what you like but I couldn't give a rats ass about how controversial your hobbies are - if it's legal and you enjoy it, what's the problem?

Because since I went to Sweden and bought an original flag from the Soviet Union and saw this mad-mans collection of gear I was really interested and since have being researching and looking for more things to add to my collection.

I have a chance to get my hands on a replica PPS41 Submachine Gun (which was used at the peak of WWII by the USSR). That looks, weighs and operates exactly like the real thing, however it can't fire live rounds.

You can think what you like but I couldn't give a rats ass about how controversial your hobbies are - if it's legal and you enjoy it, what's the problem?

Like I said. I couldn't give a rats ass if you are doing it or not. I was simply saying I don't see the purpose of it. Just as collecting stamps seems like a waste of time to me, guns/replicas are the same.

The purpose of probably all collections is self achievement. It's not about it functioning.

You must of collected something in your life... be it Star Wars figures, Stamps, Postcards, Bottle Tops... could be anything!

The purpose of probably all collections is self achievement. It's not about it functioning.

You must of collected something in your life... be it Star Wars figures, Stamps, Postcards, Bottle Tops... could be anything!

Yes I have. Then I realized that it was money down the pan and felt the sudden urge to tighten nooses around those little beanie-babies, delicate, soft necks and hanged them. That was a lesson to all those other money-grabbing cuddly toys with those puppy dog eyes... Yeah. That showed them.

Come to think of it, collecting beanie-babies is far more dangerous for your psychological well-being than gun replicas. I kid. But I haven't collected anything since my childhood. I suppose I grew out of it when I realized the futility. But hey, if you still get self-achievement out of collecting, go ahead. But don't expect me to similarly enjoy it. :)

People don't need a reason to enjoy the things they enjoy. It's none of your business. :rolleyes:

It's legal to own replica weaponry, but illegal to transport it without a reasonable excuse, whether it's visible or not. If you were eg. taking it to an airsoft skirmish that would constitute a reasonable excuse, but if you were just taking it round a friend's house to show them then that probably wouldn't.

Thanks to the idiotic VCRb (moronic legislation to curry favour with moronic voters), it is illegal to purchase them unless you have an exemption, of which there are several. Probably the easiest of these to qualify for is using them for airsoft skirmishing. You have to be a member of an airsoft club and that then entitles you to buy the replicas.

Also, you can't convert replicas to fire live rounds. That's complete and utter bollocks. The mechanical workings of an airsoft gun are akin to a remote controlled car, not a firearm.

I didn't say they needed a reason. I said I did, and as I reiterated numerous times that is how I feel, personally. Plus when somebody posts on an internet forum, generally they are going to have to understand that some people won't be able to feel the same as them on numerous subjects.

And actually some replicas can be converted to fire live rounds. It depends what type of replica it is, and how it is built. As can be shown from this article

But how is your opinion on collecting replica weaponry at all relevant? It is of no consequence to anything, least of all the legality of doing so.

Re: your link, a "replica" that's capable of firing blank rounds doesn't sound much like a replica at all, rather a modified/neutered firearm.

But how is your opinion on collecting replica weaponry at all relevant? It is of no consequence to anything, least of all the legality of doing so.

Re: your link, a "replica" that's capable of firing blank rounds doesn't sound much like a replica at all, rather a modified/neutered firearm.

We could argue semantics as to what "replica" means if you like? ;)

And and as you so intelligently observed, my opinion is of no consequence to anything, as I have mentioned several times already. I was simply wondering why he would want such a thing, as I didn't see the need. He explained. It was a good discussion though.

We could argue semantics as to what "replica" means if you like? ;)

It's not semantics, blank rounds are not toys - they are proper ammunition regardless of the fact that they are not intended to kill. Firing them at someone from a very close range will still have fatal consequences.

A true replica would not be able to discharge any kind of ammunition which uses gunpowder. These "replicas" the article mentions are in fact firearms.

And and as you so intelligently observed, my opinion is of no consequence to anything, as I have mentioned several times already. I was simply wondering why he would want such a thing, as I didn't see the need. He explained. It was a good discussion though.

There doesn't have to be a need for something. Fortunately we still live in a world that doesn't revolve around utility alone.

There doesn't have to be a need for something. Fortunately we still live in a world that doesn't revolve around utility alone.

You obviously know more about guns, replicas etc. so I'll trust you on the latter point.

However, the world does evolve largely around utility. At least it does for me. Everything that I want and need usually has a function. Its function is what gives me pleasure, but this is all for another time and place. :)

As far as an exercise in futility goes, collecting replica guns pales in comparison to what this thread has become. Good job, guys. I'm proud of you :)

Our hobbies and possessions tend to satisfy wants moreso than needs. You might need a car, but you don't need a fast car. Doesn't stop pretty much everyone from having a car that does more than they need it to.

The people asking "what's the point in a fast car?" are endangering the freedom of people to enjoy their cars. There doesn't need to be a point, in this or anything else. All too often "why do you need it?" is used as an argument to legislate against a point of personal choice.

I don't need a motorcycle. Logically, by all accounts I would be better off with a car - I wouldn't have to get changed four times a day, I wouldn't get really, really cold in winter or have to worry about frost and ice everywhere, I could carry people and stuff around and serious injury would not be an inevitable part of life. And it would also be significantly cheaper. But I love bikes. That's the only thing that matters.

Wow some people are really bothered about other peoples hobbies/collections, lol.

They should ban everything because nobody should have any interests or personal preferences in what hobbies they do.

At least Zombieturtle and repiV have the right mind. :)

Wow some people are really bothered about other peoples hobbies/collections, lol.

They should ban everything because nobody should have any interests or personal preferences in what hobbies they do.

At least Zombieturtle and repiV have the right mind. :)

I'm sorry I don't happen to see what you see in your hobby. Would it make you feel better if it did? :cheese:

All I'm saying is that I personally don't see why people would collect such a thing? You explained why you wished to do so. I don't like guns. My opinion. Your free to disagree with it, just as I have done with you. It's not a personal attack on anybody or their interests. Does it make me that bad a person? ;)

I'm sorry I don't happen to see what you see in your hobby. Would it make you feel better if it did? :cheese:

All I'm saying is that I personally don't see why people would collect such a thing? You explained why you wished to do so. I don't like guns. My opinion. Your free to disagree with it, just as I have done with you. It's not a personal attack on anybody or their interests. Does it make me that bad a person? ;)

It doesn't make you a better person.

My outlook on other peoples interests/hobbies is positive, if someone does what they do and enjoy it, I have no reason to disagree with it or see "no point" because right in front of me, those people are enjoying what ever it is they do.

Back