Requirements for Installing Source engine Mods

Reaction score
Hey there,
this may sound silly but what would you need to install and run a Source engine Mod? I mean by installing the Half-Life 2 Demo you get the source engine .gcf files + the half-life 2 demo and half-life 2 content .gcf's.
Is this enough to install and run a Mod or do I need to have Half-Life 2 retail version to do this? I'm talking Mods specific.

Some mods require different games to be owned, and a lot of the time they'll tell you. Some only need Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, but some need Counter-Strike: Source as well.

Basically you get the full Source engine .gcf's with the HL2 demo, or not? If that is correct, then I would be able to run any Source engine Mod, for example Garry's Mod, Black Mesa Source or even Stargate: The Last Stand meant for Source. Is this right or?

As far as I know, all Source mods require a game running on the Source engine, typically HL2 deathmatch. Some mods require other Source games for the content used in the mod.
Also, if I recall, all mods require Source SDK Base to run a mod. If I remember, if you only have the HL2 demo then you cannot download Source SDK Base from the tools tab in steam.
To clarify, you must own the games that they specify for in their requirements AND you must have Source SDK Base installed for a mod to run.

So no, you do not get the full GCF's for the demos. You get demo GCF's, which are not good enough for running mods.

If a mod says you require Half-life 2, it means the full game. Not the demo.

There are so many mods (Steamworks supported on Steam), and countless more singleplayer and multiplayer you can look into on moddb, planetphillip, face punch etc.

Some of the best mods require Episode 2 or Half-life 2. The orange box package comes with almost every game you would need to play most mods (as well as the best Valve titles around).

Not too many mods are just Half-life 2 Deathmatch only, but if you find one which is you can get this game for free, read more here - http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=141652

Oh, if only I knew of such a free offer, I would of get it on the double! Thanks, I think it's all settled now. So now I just need to buy the Orange Box.. it's good that I allready had it in mind.
Thanks again all of you! :)

By the way, is the DVD version of The Orange Box somewhat different from the Steam version? I'm asking so I could know which one to buy.

Back