Returning Alien Creatures

Nex Carnifex

Reaction score
Do you think Episode 3 will feature creatures from Half Life 1/Opposing Force that weren't in Half Life 2? I loved Half Life 2, but personally I thought the original was better since it had more variety with monsters. Antlions were fun to fight, but only for a bit, I miss fighting Voltergaunts, those spitting dudes, houndeyes, blind tentical scythe monsters, and all the other cool Xen monsters. And what happened to the aliens from Opposing Force? Were they all destroyed? And if I remember correctly, Opposing Force introduced the next stage of mutation for zombies, yet there were non of those in Half life 2. Cmon Valve, dont be lazy, bring back the variety from the past Half Life games! I'm tired of fighting just zombies and combine.

I don't think the Opposing Force monsters will be back, but maybe some of the Half-Life ones will be back.

Vortigaunts are your friends now because you killed the controller.

You can wait for Black Mesa to be completed so we can enjoy the destruction of the facility again but then with hogher resolutions :D

Opposing Force is non-canon, it wasn't developed by VALVe. Because of this there won't be any connections between games.

Also, Blast Pit plz.

shut your mouth, jul3. it's canon, unless it's stated otherwise.

I don't consider it canon, on the basis of large parts of it being dumb. Race X in particular was a conceptual abomination, something straight out of Serious Sam in both name and visual design that should never have touched the HL franchise.

It says here that Marc considers Race X non-canon. The games are canon or non-canon until Valve says otherwise. I dunno how much faith you put in the wiki, but that's what I'm going with.

man, I hate new members. they don't even attempt to search before starting a discussion. guess what, you hit the wrong guy, buddy. here's the original reply from laidlaw (it was originally sent by someone at halflife2.net):

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?114535

racex was purely a gearbox creation that doesn't figure at all in my thinking about the world. Understand, they wanted to come up with a set of creatures that would create gameplay they knew how to make. They could have been making an original title or an add-on for some other franchise, and plugged racex into that--the reason being that they had gameplay they wanted to explore and needed the freedom of their own race of critters to conduct those experiments with. If gearbox had kept making hl games, i suppose we might have seen these threads develop. Since blackops are not a gearbox creation per se, but an opportunistic use of existing real-life elements, i don't see how the idea of canon applies to them.

now, I want to ask you. where does he say gearbox games are not canon? oh wait, he doesn't say that!

Either way, Race-X got the boot from our dimension by Adrian Shepard. If the Combine is having problems reestablishing connection, surely Race-X won't find a way to tunnel back.

You can wait for Black Mesa to be completed so we can enjoy the destruction of the facility again but then with hogher resolutions :D

Yeah but there were other aliens besides Voltergaunts.

And as for Black Mesa, if it ever gets released.

man, I hate new members. they don't even attempt to search before starting a discussion. guess what, you hit the wrong guy, buddy. here's the original reply from laidlaw (it was originally sent by someone at halflife2.net):

now, I want to ask you. where does he say gearbox games are not canon? oh wait, he doesn't say that!

Is there need to be so rude? I was wrong, thank you for pointing that out.
And I'm not your buddy, guy.

Opposing Force was awesome. Doubt they'll be in Ep: 3 though.

Most of The Nihilanth's forces and Race-X aliens have been enslaved / wiped out by The Combine haven't they?

Being as it should be a direct (fairly) continuation of Ep: 2, the HL team will be focusing on the newer concepts. Probably more Combine units, human forces and a bit more of the Xen leftovers (because they're not gonna get rid of headcrabs and barnacles now, are they?).

Opposing Force was awesome. Doubt they'll be in Ep: 3 though.

Most of The Nihilanth's forces and Race-X aliens have been enslaved / wiped out by The Combine haven't they?

Being as it should be a direct (fairly) continuation of Ep: 2, the HL team will be focusing on the newer concepts. Probably more Combine units, human forces and a bit more of the Xen leftovers (because they're not gonna get rid of headcrabs and barnacles now, are they?).

Well they were originally going to have eyehounds and squidbulls in Half Life 2, so I don't think that consider them wiped out, and those alien sharks are still here.

Snarks FTW!

Whatever is in Episode 3 I really hope we go to an area where there are NO ant lions. HL2 through Episode 2 explored almost everything there is about Ant Lions. I am done with them. Give me Polar Bears wearing chainsaw rollerblades before you give me Snow Ant Lions.

Opposing Force is non-canon, it wasn't developed by VALVe. Because of this there won't be any connections between games.

Also, Blast Pit plz.

Op4 and BS were licensed by VALVe and their storylines were written, in part, by Laidlaw, they ARE cannon for now.

Therefore, the general consensus will consider the Gearbox expansions canon (even though still ambiguous) unless Valve chooses to specifically contradict some of all the events depicted, in which case Valve has the hypothetical 'right of way' (much like George Lucas and the Star Wars’ Expanded Universe), the story being still written as of today (2010) and retcons having been made since the first game's release.
-http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Gearbox_Software

Black Mesa is fast becoming like Duke Nukem Forever. The language those modders are using are just like 3D realms back then.

Does 'When its Done,' ring a bell?

Speaking of Opposing Force, I wonder when they will do a proper sequel for Adrian Shepherd. Barney's sequel merged with Gordon's. From the looks of it we will be waiting another five to ten years for that to happen, but I can hope they will release it before I die.:smoking:

Honestly, I'd rather see new enemies.

I would not mind the big blue monster Garg returning, though. Striders are awesome but I still want more big enemies in HL3

I am waiting for the day that Adrian Shepherd is brought back by Valve, or whatever game company it sub-contracts to, like Gearbox.

I believe that valve has already hinted about Adrian Shepard, as seen in the Portal 1 keyboard easter egg. If you look at the highlighted keys on the aperture pc's (a, s, d, e, r, i, p, h, and n) they spell out Adrian Shepard.

I believe that valve has already hinted about Adrian Shepard, as seen in the Portal 1 keyboard easter egg. If you look at the highlighted keys on the aperture pc's (a, s, d, e, r, i, p, h, and n) they spell out Adrian Shepard.
A Half Lifer once said the letters also spells out 'Hard Penis'.

So I am pretty cynical the letters mean Shephard will return.

Gearbox took some liberty into writing their own things and experimenting designs, not validated by default by Valve. For instance, Laidlaw states that the Race X is purely a Gearbox creation that does not figure at all in his thinking about the Half-Life universe. He furthers adds that the Gearbox team wanted to come up with a set of creatures that would create gameplay they knew how to make, and that they could have been making an original title or an add-on for any other franchise, and plugged Race X into it - the reason being that they had gameplay they wanted to explore and needed the freedom of their own race of critters to conduct those experiments with. He also suggests that if Gearbox had kept making games set in the Half-Life universe, more about the Race X would have been revealed

Canon or not, we will probably not see Race X in episode 3 as the conceptual ideas/designs belong to Gearbox. We would however see them if Gearbox decided to make a sequel. To me it does sound bizarre that EA was on work with the spin-off Episode 4, it sounded like it was an area that Gearbox should of been working on.

I personally would like the return of the Hydra concept, and Gargs, Houndeyes and bullsquids

Back