Richard Pryor dead at 65

Harryz

Tank
Reaction score
Groundbreaking black US comedian Richard Pryor has died after almost 20 years with multiple sclerosis.

He died at the age of 65 of a heart attack at Encino hospital near Los Angeles, his wife Jennifer Pryor said.

A series of hit comedies in the 1970s and 1980s - including Stir Crazy and Silver Streak - helped make him one of Hollywood's highest-paid stars.

He was one of the first black performers to have enough clout to negotiate his own Hollywood deals.

In 1983, he signed a $40m (£23m;34m euros), five-year contract with Columbia Pictures.

Foul-mouthed

But he first came to prominence as a pioneering stand-up comic.

His uncompromising, foul-mouthed brand of humour focused on his personal insights into modern life and race relations.

Among those most said to have been influenced by his comedy were black artists such as Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall and Damon Wayans, as well as Robin Williams, David Letterman and others.

In 1995, he played an embittered multiple sclerosis patient in an episode of TV series Chicago Hope. The role earned him an Emmy nomination as best guest actor in a drama series.

Multiple sclerosis is a degenerative disease of the nervous system.

I can remember growing up and watching his movies.

RIP.:(

In the words of Darth Vader,
"Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

FFS why are all the cool and great people dying :|

Speaking of rhymes, I wouldn't mind to see Eminem go down the grind.

Noooooo...

Did you hear he said he "passed the torch" to dave chappelle?

shadow6899 said:
not to be an ass at all, but i swore richard died awhile ago! i haven't heard anything about this guy in a loooooooooong time... swore he was dead... Sorry to hear u died rich R.I.P.

He'd been suffering from chronic multiple sclerosis for years.

This sucks. See No Evil, Hear No Evil was the funniest movie of my childhood. He played a blind guy and Gene Wilder played a deaf guy and it was like some crazy Lethal Weapon type thing. Funny as hell.

Wally: (Richard Pryor) SHAZAAM, CAN YOU HEAR ME?
Dave: Ohhh, Wally I heard something. Wally I heard your voice.
Wally: Dave you can hear me!
Dave: What?
Wally: I said you can hear me!
Dave: NO SCHMUCK, I'M DEAF!

"See No Evil, Hear No Evil was the funniest movie of my childhood."

Ah, memories.:(

What was that other movie called, where Gene and Pryor are in prison?

Look on the bright side, he's no longer suffering.

man...he was one of the funniest men alive, oh richard how i will you you so.. :( ;( :(

Richard Pryor has been dead since the late Nineties (the shots of him from 1999 just about prove that), but it's sad that he really has departed this world. RIP Richard, you were a funny, funny man.

craig said:
Richard Pryor has been dead since the late Nineties (the shots of him from 1999 just about prove that), but it's sad that he really has departed this world. RIP Richard, you were a funny, funny man.
What the hell are you talking about?

he's saying, he was just a shell of a man, he was not the rich we knew, and just recently it became final

God, I'm still sad. This wasn't as bad as Mitch, but it's still the passing of a legend.

Back