Six Feet Under (2001 - 2005)

Lucid

The Freeman
Reaction score
66kk85.jpg

"Every day above ground, is a good one."
To start off, I'm a huge fan of the show who has recently finished the entire series. And because I loved it so ****ing much, I'll make a thread for it.

Synopsis (Wiki'd)
The show stars Peter Krause as Nathaniel Samuel "Nate" Fisher Jr., the son of a funeral director who, upon the death of his father (Richard Jenkins), reluctantly becomes a partner in the family funeral business with his brother David (Michael C. Hall). The Fisher clan also includes widow Ruth (Frances Conroy) and daughter Claire (Lauren Ambrose). Other regulars include mortician and family friend Federico Diaz (Freddy Rodriguez), Nate's on-again, off-again girlfriend Brenda Chenowith (Rachel Griffiths), and David's long-term boyfriend Keith Charles (Mathew St. Patrick).

On one level, the show is a conventional family drama, dealing with such issues as interpersonal relationships, infidelity, and religion. At the same time, it is a show distinguished by its unblinking focus on the topic of death, which it explores on multiple levels (personal, religious, and philosophical). Each episode begins with a death – anything from drowning or heart attack to sudden infant death syndrome – and that death usually sets the tone for each episode, allowing the characters to reflect on their current fortunes and misfortunes in a way that is illuminated by the death and its aftermath. The show also has a strong dosage of dark humor and surrealism running throughout.

A recurring plot device consists of a character having an imaginary conversation with the deceased; for example, Nate, David, and Federico sometimes "converse" with the person who died at the beginning of the episode, while they are being embalmed or planning or during the funeral. Sometimes, the conversation is with other recurring deceased characters, most notably Nathaniel Fisher Sr. The show's creator Alan Ball states they represent the living character's internal dialogue by exposing it as an external conversation.

The Characters

9e418b047cb80292cde52a4a714d81db.png

Main Characters and Backgrounds

Nate Fisher
Nate is a part of the Fisher family. When he was younger, he traveled to Seattle as a refuge from the family business, avoiding to be sucked into it. He comes back in the first episode and meets Brenda at the airport. The story is a based a lot on him and his several struggles.

David Fisher
David, unlike Nate, had stayed with the family and became a mortician and helped in the family business. To make things more interesting, he's actually a gay mortician. The show focuses on his struggles with him and his boyfriend Keith and a few aspects of being gay.

Claire Fisher
Claire is a troubled young adult, who is pretty wild. She always finds herself in bad situations. A lot of people like Claire because she is loving, and dramatic. Her struggles are very interesting and she does a lot of human things we can all relate with.

Ruth Fisher
Ruth loses her husband Nathaniel Sr in the first episode, which isn't much of a spoiler because it happens in the Pilot. She goes through stages of grief, and throughout the series she meets a few guys, and it focuses on her loneliness and troubles. She's a lovable and interested character.

Brenda Chenowith
Brenda is pretty much a main character. She is very intelligent and adds a dark realist point of perspective to the show. She's troubled and deals with her psycho-brother Billy and her shrink parents. I personally love her character, and she's a very nice dynamic to the show.

George Sibley
George comes in at the very end of Season 3. He becomes a pretty major character from then on. Without spoiling anything, he's troubled and has had prior marriages which all went downhill. He's fascinated by science and likes rocks.

Why I think you should watch this show
The main theme of the show is death, and dealing with it. Every episode, and yes, every single one, someone dies in the beginning minute or so. Some of the deaths are humorous, and some are disgusting, and some may be of side characters. This show is a risky show for television, because it's such a slow, dark drama that looks at life in the realist sense possible. The show covers several topics that are relative to life as we know it. This show is downright depressing. I cried so much throughout the show. And the acting is brilliance. You develop a attachment to all the characters. And you weep as you watch every single one crash. The season 5 finale is purely brilliant, and by far, the best finale of all shows. It puts life at a perspective, and makes you appreciate what you have. I love this show, because the tone of it is so melancholy and depressing, with some perks of loving characters and morbid humor.

I am so sad that I finished the show. I loved it. It made me cry so many god damn times.
And the finale is quite possibly the best finale to any television show that I have ever seen.

I honestly can't recommend this enough.

made it to season 3 and got bored of it
however there were parts of it that I really enjoyed, despite it being quite depressing most of the time
and I have heard that the finale is incredible so I might just pick it up again and try to finish it off

Oh, you have to.
It's totally worth the ride.

I've been watching it religiously for like the past 4 weeks and just finished it with the finale this morning.

I'm not buying the "best finale ever". I don't think anything will top Sleeping in Light from Babylon 5. As for the series, I've always intended to watch it, recommended multiple times and it has Dexter in it, just a matter of finding time.

I think I just got burned out because I had watched so many episodes in so little time
Definitely going to continue it sometime soon though!

I liked it for while, but the gay stuff just got in your face...

I bought the first season for $15 at walmart but I have absolutely no time to watch it until my novel is finished and edited. maybe sometime near xmas i can sit down and watch it. same with carnivale and dead wood seasons 1 that I have and they sit there taunting me

I'm not buying the "best finale ever". I don't think anything will top Sleeping in Light from Babylon 5. As for the series, I've always intended to watch it, recommended multiple times and it has Dexter in it, just a matter of finding time.

Man, I thought it'd be impossible to top B5's finale as well.
But, it's been done.

For me atleast.

Also, when I originally tried watching this series the gay stuff did seem way too much for me to tolerate but once you see that they're just like you and me with every day problems and every day relationship issues then you quickly learn to look past it.
Hell, David's my favorite character on the show next to Claire.

I've got the complete series ordered and can't wait to rewatch it all over again.

Loved this show when it was originally shown. I have the season 1 boxset, but haven't got around to start watching it all the way through. Gotta do West Wing first :p

Really very good :)

wow, you were right Lucid
incredible finale, incredible series!
words can't describe it

wow, you were right Lucid
incredible finale, incredible series!
words can't describe it

Very glad that you gave it another chance. :D
I've got the boxed set and plan on rewatching it next year once the holidays have cooled off.

Just started watching this with a friend. Wasn't too interested until I saw Alan Ball was director/writer. I look forward to seeing more.

I have to admit it has the best finale of all the shows I've seen. It was an incredible experience.

So, is anybody else in the process of checking this show out yet?
It's totally worth watching it in your free time, ignore the outside world/girlfriends and put this on damn it.

I downloaded this probably over a year back and watched a couple episodes then never finished it. I will have to get around to it some time.

So I was sick over the weekend and pretty much sat in bed for 3 days and watched either football or this. I don't know why I didn't like this the last time around I watched it (maybe because my ex girlfirends uncle was really sick at the time and watching a show about death wasn't that comforting). But yeah, this show is absolute gold, loving it. I also didn't realize that dexter was in it, he fits the role really well. Im a few episodes in to the second season, should keep me occupied for a while.

I just finished the last season. Really awesome show, but jesus, depressing as shit. I read someone say that this show might have had the best finale on TV, I think this has to be the best one I've seen. The last few episodes of the last season were totally unexpected.

My main complaint was how they dealt with Nate's first operation. They ended the season with him going under then in the next season just sort of skipped 7 months ahead. I always had this feeling after that moment that everything in the show was in the mind of Nate especially since they started the episode off with him dying.

Just started on the third season. I'm glad they dropped most of the 90's-esque feel now. It made the show seem really dated. Looking forward to finishing the remainder of the season when I have time (it's midterms, so that'll be awhile).

I just finished the last season. Really awesome show, but jesus, depressing as shit. I read someone say that this show might have had the best finale on TV, I think this has to be the best one I've seen. The last few episodes of the last season were totally unexpected.

My main complaint was how they dealt with Nate's first operation. They ended the season with him going under then in the next season just sort of skipped 7 months ahead. I always had this feeling after that moment that everything in the show was in the mind of Nate especially since they started the episode off with him dying.

Oh God yes, that totally messed me up when I first got to it.
I ended up back tracking thinking I missed something. :p

So I've started watching this. Seen the pilot yesterday.

Glad to see Michael C. Hall again.

Wish me luck bros.

It's about god damned time.
Enjoy seeing the man you've known as a relentless blood thirsty murderer get butt sexed.

Tav got me to watch the first episode. Is the whole show as weird as the pilot? Like, theres some really awkward acting, and some weird reactions to things. Also, I'm not sure I'm going to like seeing Michael C. Hall getting buttsexed, only because its really weird since hes straight in real life. Pretty glowing reviews in this thread though, I'll keep watching.

Unsure of what you mean by it being weird or there being awkward acting.

The show can have some fairly surreal moments though.

Tav got me to watch the first episode. Is the whole show as weird as the pilot? Like, theres some really awkward acting, and some weird reactions to things. Also, I'm not sure I'm going to like seeing Michael C. Hall getting buttsexed, only because its really weird since hes straight in real life. Pretty glowing reviews in this thread though, I'll keep watching.

You have to watch a few episodes before you get addicted to it.

The butt secs is weird, I thought Dexter must be gay after watching it. He's not?

You have to watch a few episodes before you get addicted to it.

The butt secs is weird, I thought Dexter must be gay after watching it. He's not?

its this crazy thing called acting, you weird homophobe

Not saying anything is wrong with that, just a bit surprised he isn't actually gay after watching that show. You wouldn't have any trouble acting that gay?

Vegeta and I were talking about it after he saw my post above. We came to the conclusion that I must just find Michael C. Hall to be weird when hes gay, because other actors who are straight, play gay characters all the time. Like the sister who is married to Tobias in Arrested Development, the guy who played Omar on the Wire, the guy who plays Lafayette in True Blood, Neil Patrick Harris (in reverse. Hes gay but always plays straight characters), etc.

because other actors who are straight, play gay characters all the time. Like the sister who is married to Tobias in Arrested Development.

ummm you're kidding right?

ellen_portia_album.jpg

unless you meant it in reverse; she played a straight character in arrested development

Yeah, thats what I meant. Like Neil Patrick Harris.

Not saying anything is wrong with that, just a bit surprised he isn't actually gay after watching that show. You wouldn't have any trouble acting that gay?

wow man you are a homophobe

guess it suprises you that sean penn isn't retarded
that stanley tucci isn't a pedophile
that michael keaton isn't dead
that daniel-day lewis can walk
and that the guy who played hitler in downfall is not hitler

Cuz that's all pretty much as surprising as a straight guy playing a gay guy.

My girlfriend and I are halfway through season 4, The show keeps getting better and better imo. I feel more and more for each character. Worst person on the show was
the guy who beat David and took the van. I wanted to kill that guy. But this show conveys every emotion one could think of in life just about, which is why its now one of my favorite shows

As a straight man you wouldn't feel even slightly weird acting out all the scenes he was invovled in on the show? Playing a retard and making out with a dude are just slightly different.

As a straight man you wouldn't feel even slightly weird acting out all the scenes he was invovled in on the show? Playing a retard and making out with a dude are just slightly different.

no, i wouldn't, sorry guy. actors portray characters. sometimes those characters or pedophiles or genocidal dicators or, GASP, even.... gay. im not gonna assume sean penn is a gay retard because he's good at playing both those things ;)

This is why you never go full retard.

also lol, i was thinking that :p

no, i wouldn't, sorry guy. actors portray characters. sometimes those characters or pedophiles or genocidal dicators or, GASP, even.... gay. im not gonna assume sean penn is a gay retard because he's good at playing both those things ;)

But if you play a pedophile or a dictator you don't have to make out for extended periods of time with dudes. If I were an actor I wouldn't feel weird about playing the part at all, I would feel weird about having to get to second base with a dude. I'm a bit surprised you wouldn't.

Back