Ricochet 2 a code name for Half Life 3 ?

mrhairspary

Hunter
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/MarcLaidlaw/status/354768002748645379

So apparently Ricochet 2 is pretty much confirmed at this point. But is Ricochet 2 a code name for Half Life 3? I remember the interview with Gabe Newell in which he spoke about Ricochet 2 but it seemed as if he was actually talking about Half Life 3. From the start I was very convinced he was actually talking about Half Life 3 but now, honestly, I don't know...

Why would Valve want to make a sequel to one of the least successful games in the history of Valve? Why?

What do you think?

Gabe has used Ricochet 2 as code for Half-Life 3 before, but this could just be a joke. As in now that Dota 2 is out Valve need to go and '2'ify all their other games before they can get to a 3 of anything. So we can look forward to Ricochet 2, Day of Defeat 2, Alien Swarm 2, Counter-Strike 2 and Deathmatch Classic 2.

Gabe has used Ricochet 2 as code for Half-Life 3 before, but this could just be a joke. As in now that Dota 2 is out Valve need to go and '2'ify all their other games before they can get to a 3 of anything. So we can look forward to Ricochet 2, Day of Defeat 2, Alien Swarm 2, Counter-Strike 2 and Deathmatch Classic 2.

Oh god no... Just imagine the rage when Deathmatch Classic 2 gets announced.

Valve fan: We have been waiting for Half Life 3 for years now, please Gabe, release it!
Gabe Newell: NOPE! but here's Deathmatch Classic 2.

It would also confirm Valves inability to count to number three......

I would actually really welcome a fleshed out Alien Swarm 2.

So apparently Ricochet 2 is pretty much confirmed at this point.

Nothing to do with Ricochet or Ricochet 2 was found on the Jira database, so Marc's continued jokes relate to one of two things.

A. He is just joking, and Ricochet 2 actually means nothing at all.
B. He is joking, but the joke itself continues to reference Gabe's "Ricochet 2" = "Half-Life 3" running gag.

He's been building Town 17 in Animal Crossing, with Black Mesa logo's all over the place. Makes me sad, man.

I think Ricochet 2 is actually a code name for Ricochet 2...

Valve...the ultimate Troll...

I think Marc Laidlaw's sense of humour flies well over the heads of many.

He's really not that funny though. A famous troll is still a troll.

E3 2014: Gaben comes on stage and announces: What you all have been waiting for..... Half Life 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hats for Tf2

He's really not that funny though.
Or maybe you just don't get it. Try to imagine getting hundreds of e-mails and tweets asking about HL3 every single day - of course Laidlaw is sarcastic about it nowadays.

Says the guy who thinks having an alt account is great lolz. rofl get real kid

Whatever man, you're the one quoting all of my posts. Not even going to get into the alt account thing, you can ask Matt if you want.

I mean seriously, troll harder.

Whatever man, you're the one quoting all of my posts. Not even going to get into the alt account thing, you can ask Matt if you want.

I mean seriously, troll harder.

I don't know who Matt is and I don't give a ****. long hair don't care bro.
But if you think I'm trolling, you've got another thing coming. You made a mistake insulting Marc Laidlaw and now you're going to pay.

I don't know who Matt is and I don't give a ****. long hair don't care bro.
But if you think I'm trolling, you've got another thing coming. You made a mistake insulting Marc Laidlaw and now you're going to pay.

You should. Matt just recently joined and is pretty cool so show some respect. And nowhere did I insult the legendary Laidlaw, I just don't find his trolling funny. But I will say that I'm more tolerant of his than yours.

Mark is just now working on Half-Life 3. Expect a product announcement sometime in 2020.

https://twitter.com/MarcLaidlaw/status/354768002748645379

So apparently Ricochet 2 is pretty much confirmed at this point. But is Ricochet 2 a code name for Half Life 3? I remember the interview with Gabe Newell in which he spoke about Ricochet 2 but it seemed as if he was actually talking about Half Life 3. From the start I was very convinced he was actually talking about Half Life 3 but now, honestly, I don't know...

Why would Valve want to make a sequel to one of the least successful games in the history of Valve? Why?

What do you think?

your avatar makes me quite sad :( rip Oper

I am probebly really alone at this, but I actually want Ricochet 2. Not as a code name for HL3 but actually Ricochet 2. I would love to play it more, and I would have played the exicting version, but there is no one in THE ENTIRE WORLD at the game servers as much as I know.

I want Orange Box 2 that has:
Ricochet 2
Left 4 Dead 3
Half-Life 3
Half-Life 2: 7 Hour war (To connect hl1 to hl2)
Portal 3

I want Orange Box 2 that has:
Ricochet 2
Left 4 Dead 3
Half-Life 3
Half-Life 2: 7 Hour war (To connect hl1 to hl2)
Portal 3

No offence but...

not-sure-if-kidding-or-serious.jpg

Honestly I don't think you should assume anything from Gaben. We are dealing with the biggest troll of our lifetimes right here.

Last edited:
Gabe Newell didn't refer to Half-Life 3 as Ricochet 2, initially. The interviewer with the 7DCD podcast did in an effort to avoid the stigma associated with talk of a "Half-Life sequel." So it's not some joke made up by Valve.

Marc's tweet, though, is clearly a joke and a play on the interview.

Back