Rise of the Argonauts

elrasho

Reaction score
Its coming out in the US next week (16/12/08) but everyone else has to wait until march 09 :angry:

Was really looking forward to this after looking at the previews. Seems to play like Mass Effect but set in Greek times, I love the Greek mythological games (God of War is my all time greatest)

I have a bad feeling its gonna be another Too Human... looks good but plays horrible

Anyone else getting this? Let us know how it plays.

i have not personally played it but the 1up crew (aka, one of the 2 game news groups i actually trust), says it's not so good. . . you might wait for the price to go down before you get it.

Its out in America this Tuesday but theres still no review... doesnt look promising

Here's one.

Sounds OK, but not great by any means. I agree and would wait for a bit of a price drop (which for titles like this should come sooner rather than later).

Reviewed on November 11, 2008... I wouldnt rely too much. Besides the contect of that review could have been written by just watching the videos.

Reviewed on November 11, 2008... I wouldnt rely too much. Besides the contect of that review could have been written by just watching the videos.
Fine, believe whatever you like. I have heard nothing good about the game either so do the math and skip it.

People that have played have been dissin it left and right.

Got this game. It's awesome.

Fairly authentic story with God of War style combat. Upgrade your armor and weapons and abilities.

Fairly slow paced, though. A lot of exposition that leads up to some fairly big fights. I'd give it an 85%.

I posted this on gaf:

Alright, I got it to work by tricking my computer into thinking the controller was for Player 2 (not that this game has 2-player) while setting the control scheme to kb+m. Nice work, Codemasters!

Anyway, this game is actually pretty enjoyable. I know this will probably put a lot of people off, but it kinda reminds me of Too Human, only that it's everything Too Human wanted to be. The combat feels fantastic with a controller, the characters are well done, and the story gets pretty engaging, although you kinda know where it's going.

As I mentioned, it's Too Human mixed with KOTOR. That's it. You have dialogue choices presented in a similar way to Mass Effect. However, when you pick your choices from the dialogue wheel, you are also building your character, in that all the choices will win your favor with their respective Gods. All the Gods represent different styles of magic, or power, and the dialogue choices reflect this.

For an RPG, it's pretty light. There is almost no inventory management, and you never pick up items or loot, besides stuff you're given in a story context. You do still get the feeling of accomplishment every time someone rewards you with a new weapon or armor, and I like the fact that not all weapons are better than the last, only different in what sort of magical attributes they have.

So, I guess those of you on the fence should just ask me their questions, if you're still unsure if you're going to get this.

Been playing this for about 2 hours and so far I like it. I love these Greek Mythological games and this has some of the best bits of RPG/Action games roled into one.

First of all there is alot of RPG elements involved e.g. Dialouge, having to run long ditances to go to the next quests, slow paced etc... However, its the combat that is suprisingly good for an RPG. Its very much like Conan (not the MMPORG one). Theres the usual block and roll tactic but thres no Parry which is dissapointing.

The leveling system is great too. Its not complecated at all and so you see what the devs meant by keeping it simple. There are loads of level up powers to use although what I dont understand is when can you actually activate one of these. There is no HUD that says you can use your power or am I missing something here?

Apparently its really short according to the posts on the offical forum

Just beat it. It's short, and the final parts of the game are the most entertaining due to being nearly in constant action. The whole game is really a build up to the last two levels.

You can choose to have your god power UI constantly on in the options, elrasho. Also, God powers kick ass so much. I went with mostly Athena powers while I got a lot of Apollo's power's, too, with some Hermes mixed in. Absolutely no Ares powers. I absolutely owned with any spear I got (pretty much 2 execution hits kills anything- it takes bosses down in no time). This worked until the last two levels, in which case Herme's sword was absolutely wtfpwn. I still used a spear on the last boss, though.

One little strategy I liked to use against bosses was using Spirit Trail (a hermes god power) that leaves behind a decoy. Even bosses are distracted by it, even when you're spearing them in the back for shit loads of damage. The end levels were extremely climatic, as you eventually acquire the Golden Fleece and are able to unload Argos loads of wup ass upon everything you meet. Great action sequences, great drama created when you're forced to choose conflicting answers in a short amount of time.

Great game, great experience, and a great visit to Greek mythology. I've even decided to name my first son Jason.

Pic of Jason when he's got the Golden Fleece equipped
omgjasonim1.jpg

GOD LIKE

Back