Roger Ebert said WHAT?!

'This movie is basically just a Gladiator movie'

noooooooo. I don't see why he has a problem with it taking ques from the WWF they're basically the same thing.

if you watch movies all day I'm sure you grow tired of them. people need to watch movie reviews from peers not from giant fat oafs!

if you watch movies all day I'm sure you grow tired of them. people need to watch movie reviews from peers not from giant fat oafs!

so you're voting that we take advice from amatuers and not people who make a living doing what they do? that makes a heck of a lot of sense: The man on the street is perfectly capale of making an assessment on moives from within a vacuum; not knowing a shred of the history to led up to the point in time when that film was made.

"Fellini who? it didnt have big gnarly robots so obviously it sucks!!!"

Anti-intellectualism ftl

so you're voting that we take advice from amatuers and not people who make a living doing what they do? that makes a heck of a lot of sense: The man on the street is perfectly capale of making an assessment on moives from within a vacuum; not knowing a shred of the history to led up to the point in time when that film was made.

Anti-intellectualism ftl

No but its painfully clear that the man is burned out on life :dork:

Hey, hey guys, you know what Ebert's said lately?
My limited cultural knowledge... this is a cruel and hilarious joke... isn't it?

Gladiator. I certainly don't agree with Ebert, but his fellow critic is just as wrong about the movie.

Anti-intellectualism is a term applied to those who express, or who are alleged to harbor, distrust or hostility towards intellect, intellectuals, and intellectual pursuits such as education, philosophy, literature, art, .....

it's by no means representative of the whole

Thats like saying people should listen to me about what games are good or not, because I've been gaming for a long time and have some experience in making them.

You're right.

"... a movie that's been shot in such a dark, drab and dingy visual style..."

*cuts to a well-lit, colourful scene*

Yeah, kay Ebert. New glasses time, methinks.

"... a movie that's been shot in such a dark, drab and dingy visual style..."

*cuts to a well-lit, colourful scene*

Yeah, kay Ebert. New glasses time, methinks.

Yeah, I mean, there is plenty to take into account while bashing Gladiator. But it is as if he took the film's greatest strengths: it's cinematography, direction, visual style, and effects, and specifically said the exact opposite of the truth. It is not even something that could be subjective, it's just lying.

Anti-intellectualism ftl

So, it is anti-intellectual to not wholly rely on professional opinions, who in this case seem to be taking any exaggerated potshot he can to have a more dramatic argument with someone of the exaggerated opposite?

Sorry, but rejecting the opinion of a man who states:
-Gladiator is entirely dark and dingy with no daylight with poor effects
-Flightplan is an excellent movie
-Video games can never be art
does not automatically make one an anti-intellectual.

Intellectualism is not defined by blindly following the opinions of celebrities.

121181-wtf_picard-468x.jpg

Ebert is right though. Titus is a far superior film than Gladiator. Still I would say Gladiator had a fine visual style. But its the strength of the story that keeps the viewers interested, not just the palette of the scene.

It's funny that Ebert would say something like that after he gave Last Tango in Paris a good review. The actress in that movie had to degrade herself as well, even more worse than the girl in Blue Velvet IMO.

So, it is anti-intellectual to not wholly rely on professional opinions,

yes that's exactly what I said :upstare:

who in this case seem to be taking any exaggerated potshot he can to have a more dramatic argument with someone of the exaggerated opposite?

what does that have to do with my comments directed at Warped?

Sorry, but rejecting the opinion of a man who states:
-Gladiator is entirely dark and dingy with no daylight with poor effects
-Video games can never be art
does not automatically make one an anti-intellectual.

Intellectualism is not defined by blindly following the opinions of celebrities.

yes because that's exactly what I said; we should blindly follow "celebrities". you're putting words into my mouth and extrapolating all this other shit that had nothing to do with my comments towards Warped. he said:

"people need to watch movie reviews from peers not from giant fat oafs!"

I replied to that by saying professionals > lay people and nothing else. jeez some of you look for arguments where none exist

I read his post as simply rejecting Ebert's opinions, but you read his post as "reject all critiques by professionals!" and called him anti-intellectual. You defined the term as those who distrust the opinions of intellectuals, which infers that you think "Well if Ebert said it, it must be true!" I pointed out that Ebert kind of sucks and is probably more of a celebrity concerned with his TV show than an intellect.

I may have misunderstood your original point, but it could have something to do with how out of place and condescending it was.

I read his post as simply rejecting Ebert's opinions, but you read his post as "reject all critiques by professionals!" and called him anti-intellectual.

lol are we reading the same post?

"people need to watch movie reviews from peers not from giant fat oafs"

in other words he's saying peiople should get reviews from their peers (ie non movie critics) and not from movie critics (fat oafs)

You defined the term as those who distrust the opinions of intellectuals, which infers that you think "Well if Ebert said it, it must be true!"

hahah that's one hell of a stretch. I implied nothing of the sort

I pointed out that Ebert kind of sucks and is probably more of a celebrity concerned with his TV show than an intellect.

? dude, what you wrote is right there above us. I can plainly see that that's not what you wrote:

you clearly said:

you didnt say he was more concerned with his tv show than intellect. you said celebrities dont have exclusivity to intellectualsim ...whatever the hell that's supposed to mean

I may have misunderstood your original point, but it could have something to do with how out of place and condescending it was.

...only because you didnt understand it. nor did you understand the use of "anti-intellectualism" and you still dont. you think it's a potshot at Warped rather than a comment on warped's point that laymen are on par with people who have spent a lifetime honing their craft. FULL STOP. all that other superfulous shit you added, not me

Maybe you don't like Warped from outside of this thread, or are referring to an earlier argument with him, but it seems rather out of place to read that post as you did. I can see what you were trying to say, and I would agree if he was definitely saying "don't listen to critics their opinions are always worthless" but I don't really see that, I thought it was another "ebert is a dumbass" post. Maybe he can say what he meant. :p

If you called him anti-intellectual for rejecting Ebert's opinion, specifically, than everything I said still applies: Ebert is dumb, and celebrity opinion shouldn't be held in such high regard. But I guess you didn't so nevermind.

? dude, what you wrote is right there above us. I can plainly see that that's not what you wrote:

What about the rest of my post, the stuff you deleted from the quote? You know, the stuff about how Ebert has stupid opinions. o_0

Actually, alright, I can see why you'd respond that way to Warped.

But calling Ebert an intellectual when he has opinions like this, that's going too far! :p

Maybe you don't like Warped from outside of this thread, or are referring to an earlier argument with him,

not at all. in fact I find him pretty funny most of the time

but it seems rather out of place to read that post as you did. I can see what you were trying to say, and I would agree if he was definitely saying "don't listen to critics their opinions are always worthless" but I don't really see that, I thought it was another "ebert is a dumbass" post. Maybe he can say what he meant. :p

it was the listen to your peers part. my "peers" wouldnt know the difference between Fellini and Linguini for the most part

If you called him anti-intellectual for rejecting Ebert's opinion

no ...you did

specifically, than everything I said still applies: Ebert is dumb, and celebrity opinion shouldn't be held in such high regard. But I guess you didn't so nevermind.

ebert is a critic first. he became a celebrity because of it. not the other way around

What about the rest of my post, the stuff you deleted from the quote? You know, the stuff about how Ebert has stupid opinions. o_0

not really, I dont think video games are art either ..but I'm not going to go there

Actually, alright, I can see why you'd respond that way to Warped.

But calling Ebert an intellectual when he has opinions like this, that's going too far! :p

I didnt call him an "intellectual". I said that throwing out a professional review of a work of art in favour of a pedestrian review is "anti-intellectualism". it wasnt about Warped or Ebert

Ebert hasn't spoken or eaten solid food in years due to his aforementioned condition.

Doesn't mean he's not a jackass. btw Darkside I lol'd at your comment and then was pretty crestfallen to see that nobody in the rest of the thread except Stern got it.

that comment didn't apply to people i've had sex with :3

also the worst thing ebert has ever said (which is quite a crowded category) is that video games cannot ever be art

I really enjoy Ebert's reviews. He is a very good writer and DOES love film. However, he's held some fairly unpopular opinions that baffle me.

I'm still wondering why characters in Gladiator have a slight British accent?

I'm tempted to say "Who cares?" but that's exactly my problem with Ebert.

A lot of people care.

Back