Running/Jogging

First of all, how far are you running on average? if you're a "newbie" and only doing 1-3 miles (or whatever the km equivalent is), then your form probably won't be affecting you too much. However, that doesn't answer your question. To run with proper form, you need to first stop bending at the waist and start bending at the ankle. when you bend at the waist, you strike the ground with your heel, which jars your leg and will eventually cause injury if done enough. There are many videos, classes, and seminars available for this sort of thing if you are interested. Also remember that advice from an internet forum is not a substitute for professional or qualified guidance.
I never knew running was so technical. I just like... run.

I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, but I'm just a little surprised at this. I guess I never thought about the science behind it. What about running up hill?

Hmm.. :searches:
When Hudson, a 1991 and '93 world championship competitor in the marathon, started coaching a few years back, he looked at successful programs and found they all had one thing in common: hills. And as he sifted through research, he noted that even a small amount of hill work could yield big results: a jump in leg strength, running economy--how efficiently your body uses oxygen--and aerobic capacity. "I saw the science, and then I saw the results in my athletes," says Hudson.

One of those athletes, James Carney, improved his 10-K personal best last spring to 27:43 after incorporating Hudson's hill training into his routine. Torres credits hill work for putting him in contention for the 2008 U.S. Olympic team for the 10,000 meters. And Ritzenhein, who ran 2:14:01 last year in his debut marathon, believes hills have made him less injury-prone.
Sounds like I made the right choice running up mountains. Wow, this is exactly what I do:
Hit the hill, but make it fast and short, and you get the maximum amount of training effect with the minimum amount of injury risk. "The best way to recruit fast-twitch muscle fibers is to run at max intensity," says Hudson. "The best way to build leg strength is hill running. So we run all-out up a steep hill. But we keep it to 10 seconds to avoid producing lactate and becoming fatigued." Running no more than 10-second repeats also reduces injury risk by limiting your fast-running time. And hills by their nature lessen the risk of injury because the slope shortens the distance you have to "fall" or land, reducing impact. "Studies of sprinting uphill show that the muscles are in constant 'overload' and the nervous system is firing hard," says Hudson. "It's the same speed benefit as track sprints, but safer."
http://www***nnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-238-263-264-12079-0,00.html

But I'm not like a competitive runner by any means. I just want to get some exercise every day and build a little strength. It seemed to double the size of my legs in like a week.

Here's another hill running article: http://www.posetech.com/training/archives/000162.html
DOWNHILL:

1. keep your body straight, just above the point of support on the ball of the foot as you do it on a flat surface, when you do the Running Pose in place
2. keep your feet strictly under the body and never extend them out or leave them behind

UPHILL:

1. be in the same leaning forward position as on the flat course
2. run with shorter steps and a bit higher stride frequency
3. keep your body weight on the balls of the feet and pull the feet from the ground under the hips
4. get comfortable with the perception of shorter stride length and with the necessity to increase the stride frequency
5. try to not fall into temptation of starting to push off

And here is some interesting shit that makes sense regarding 'pushing off' or 'bouncing forward': http://www***nningplanet.com/training/dont-push-off-bounce-forward.html

I'm looking forward to checking my form tomorrow. It was so nice today. Nice, cool and overcast on a summer day. Awesome.

Hurricane + Hurricane's avatar = Thread leader.

First of all, how far are you running on average? if you're a "newbie" and only doing 1-3 miles (or whatever the km equivalent is), then your form probably won't be affecting you too much. However, that doesn't answer your question. To run with proper form, you need to first stop bending at the waist and start bending at the ankle. when you bend at the waist, you strike the ground with your heel, which jars your leg and will eventually cause injury if done enough. There are many videos, classes, and seminars available for this sort of thing if you are interested. Also remember that advice from an internet forum is not a substitute for professional or qualified guidance.

I fit in about 4 miles when I can, mostly to serve as cross-training for the tennis off-season/when I need the non-tennis exercise.

Back