S.t.a.l.k.e.r.

I think so too. I only installed it last night and got around to having some fun with that very first flash drive mission but I love it so far. Even that mission could have been done in so many ways that I was always thinking of something else to do if I died. The atmosphere is great like everyone has said and the combat is awesome, as are the other folks you have to deal with. The weapons feel much more realistic than they do in so many other games too which is very nice for a change.

It would have been 10x better if it had come out alongside HL2, but even now it definitely shows that a lot of work was put into it and I am totally thankful that it was completed at all!!!

I totally disagree with Bryan. The combat is beautifully difficult (particularly on Master) and wonderfully realistic- if you run and gun, you're beyond dead. The game is extremely atmospheric, and very cool. The guns are fantastic. The plot and ending are shit, it's true, but all in all I thought it was a blast.

I totally disagree with Bryan. The combat is beautifully difficult (particularly on Master) and wonderfully realistic- if you run and gun, you're beyond dead. The game is extremely atmospheric, and very cool. The guns are fantastic. The plot and ending are shit, it's true, but all in all I thought it was a blast.

The combat was OK (a bit annoying sometimes though, with the frequent respawns), but I wouldn't call it realistic as the enemies can handle far too many hits (provided they don't get headshotted). That was especially pronounced in the Arena fight with two Spetznaz soldiers. I could unload a clip at the back of a soldier within 5 meters from me and he would not die. In the end I killed both of the soldiers with the knife, cause it was damn hard to achieve that with the firearm I got and the armor they had.

The combat was OK (a bit annoying sometimes though, with the frequent respawns), but I wouldn't call it realistic as the enemies can handle far too many hits (provided they don't get headshotted). That was especially pronounced in the Arena fight with two Spetznaz soldiers. I could unload a clip at the back of a soldier within 5 meters from me and he would not die. In the end I killed both of the soldiers with the knife, cause it was damn hard to achieve that with the firearm I got and the armor they had.

Agreed. Thats how I feel. And the whole bleeding thing after every hit is lame. Just compare the combat with hl2 and you'll notice the huge difference.

You hardly bleed at all when you have good armor. Plus you get a bazillion bandages and just need to hit the bracket. I didnt like the hl2 combat as much as i do Stalkers because the combat ai is really lame in hl2 compared to stalkers.

As for the ai taking a lot of hits... its all based on armor and what gun + ammo you have. If you have one of them small ak74s or whatever with regular rounds vs a heavily armored military guy, then you're retarded for even trying. Youre outgunned and out armored, so you should waste a lot of ammo and probably should die. If you use a better gun, and armor piercing ammo then you should have a MUCH easier time, unless you suck at aiming.

I was wondering what artifacts you guys used. I dont feel like going into the game to get the names now, but all I wore was anything that gave me more health, or more endurance. Some point into the game I could run indefinately because of the artifacts I had equipped.

As for the ai taking a lot of hits... its all based on armor and what gun + ammo you have. If you have one of them small ak74s or whatever with regular rounds vs a heavily armored military guy, then you're retarded for even trying. Youre outgunned and out armored, so you should waste a lot of ammo and probably should die. If you use a better gun, and armor piercing ammo then you should have a MUCH easier time, unless you suck at aiming.

Its one of the games only failings in my opinion. There is a retarded jump between the early weapons and the later weapons. Something that makes the first part of the game so much more irritating than it really should be. That said however, once you get your hands on the LR300 or G36, things become, well, a little unfair......

Great atmosphere and some tense combat. The interface is too fiddly though. Also, I never get the urge to just go exploring the wilderness like in Oblivion (Leaving the road just doesn't seem worth the trouble. :dork: ) and I don't want to bother with all these silly side-quests. Is it possible to survive and advance in the game by just doing whatever you want without following the missions?

Btw, what does that little number under the radar tell me? It keep beeping and changing for seemingly no reason.

Great atmosphere and some tense combat. The interface is too fiddly though. Also, I never get the urge to just go exploring the wilderness like in Oblivion (Leaving the road just doesn't seem worth the trouble. :dork: ) and I don't want to bother with all these silly side-quests. Is it possible to survive and advance in the game by just doing whatever you want without following the missions?

Btw, what does that little number under the radar tell me? It keep beeping and changing for seemingly no reason.

The number represents how many people are in your immediate vicinity.

Bring up your PDA, and under "Contacts" you'll see who it is that you're picking up.

Friendlies are shown in yellow and green on the radar, and baddies are only shown if you have a line of sight view of them.

SPOILER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Holy shit, was anybody else scared shitless when they went to go get the door opening thing in the Hotel in Pripyat.

I kept expecting something big to happen in there. My heart was thumping like a puertorican hooker on a tuesday. As soon as I got in there and grabbed the thing, I booked it out.

Was a shame how anti-climactic that turned out to be :/

Just compare the combat with hl2 and you'll notice the huge difference.

I agree. Stalker actually has good combat. HL2 combat sucked in my opinion. The combat in part 2 is much worse than the combat in the orginal HL. HL2 failed at every level.

I agree. Stalker actually has good combat. HL2 combat sucked in my opinion. The combat in part 2 is much worse than the combat in the orginal HL. HL2 failed at every level.

HL2's combat was fine, it was generic FPS combat.
The guns sounded great and felt decent enough... it's no simulator but it did its job.

Agreed. They also hyped it up massively, but it failed to deliver.

I just wish they had vehicles...I find myself regretting taking missions when I realize I have to go through 2 loading zones to get there, 2 to get back, and 15 stalker drinks over a span of 14 minutes....not including the time to actually do the mission.

I just wish they had vehicles...I find myself regretting taking missions when I realize I have to go through 2 loading zones to get there, 2 to get back, and 15 stalker drinks over a span of 14 minutes....not including the time to actually do the mission.

When using this you have to start a new game in order for it to work.

Then type in the console: Open console and type

bind turn_engine kb

http://www.sendspace.com/file/x6s7fw

b is to turn the engines on

You fail. Stalkers combat is as shitty as it comes. To say the combat in Hl2 is worse is laughable at best. I actually had fun shooting combine in HL2, while Stalker just makes me frustrated at the brainless AI, the 8-hits-to-the-chest-with-a-shotgun hit detection and the cant-hit-the-side-of-a-barn accuracy. To be honest, stalker could learn a little even from traditionally crappy games like Doom3 or FarCry when it comes to combat.

While I think Fishlore is a douche and I think his opinion of HL2 is retarded, STALKER's combat beats HL2's gunfights by far. A fight in STALKER is actually a fight, rather than point-and-click at the enemy. Especially at long distances, an enemy is an actual obstacle, rather than a minor speed bump #1224 that you simply mow down. This is mostly because of the reduced accuracy on guns, which makes the combat favour tactical maneuvering rather than accuracy of the player (which is always piss easy with a mouse). I used to like Halo's combat the most (combat, not the game), but now I like STALKER's approach much better.

Stalkers combat isn't all that great at all but at the same time HL2 did fail to deliver on a lot of things I agree with that totally!

You fail. Stalkers combat is as shitty as it comes. To say the combat in Hl2 is worse is laughable at best. I actually had fun shooting combine in HL2, while Stalker just makes me frustrated at the brainless AI, the 8-hits-to-the-chest-with-a-shotgun hit detection and the cant-hit-the-side-of-a-barn accuracy. To be honest, stalker could learn a little even from traditionally crappy games like Doom3 or FarCry when it comes to combat.

EXACTLY. Im glad someone sees it the same way I do.

Krynn72 said:
You hardly bleed at all when you have good armor. Plus you get a bazillion bandages and just need to hit the bracket. I didnt like the hl2 combat as much as i do Stalkers because the combat ai is really lame in hl2 compared to stalkers.

As for the ai taking a lot of hits... its all based on armor and what gun + ammo you have. If you have one of them small ak74s or whatever with regular rounds vs a heavily armored military guy, then you're retarded for even trying. You're out gunned and out armored, so you should waste a lot of ammo and probably should die. If you use a better gun, and armor piercing ammo then you should have a MUCH easier time, unless you suck at aiming.

Ummm I did have one of the best armor in the game. And yes I did still bleed after every single hit. You do run out out of bandages which makes it impossible when you have none left, because you will get hit and bleed to death.

And as for the guns, your trying to say that an ak which uses 7.62 ammunition compared to the 5.56 of the g36 is supposed to be weaker? No that makes no sense.Wouldn't you think that the more powerful bullet should get the job done? What I'm saying, and what the other guy was trying to say is that its ridiculous that an ak or any gun for that matter cant kill a guy from a few feet away. And don't even get me started on the accuracy of the guns.

Brainless AI? What game are you playing? As for 8 hits to the chest with a shotgun, gtfo of my office :| Get a better gun. I bet the majority of the people who complain about not being able to kill anyone are still wandering around with guns from early in the game.

Ummm I did have one of the best armor in the game. And yes I did still bleed after every single hit. You do run out out of bandages which makes it impossible when you have none left, because you will get hit and bleed to death.

And as for the guns, your trying to say that an ak which uses 7.62 ammunition compared to the 5.56 of the g36 is supposed to be weaker? No that makes no sense.Wouldn't you think that the more powerful bullet should get the job done? What I'm saying, and what the other guy was trying to say is that its ridiculous that an ak or any gun for that matter cant kill a guy from a few feet away. And don't even get me started on the accuracy of the guns.

There is no way in hell bleeding is killing you. Unless your health bar is dead close to being empty than bleeding shouldn't ever be a problem, even without bandages. Also get better guns. Thats your problem. Your sticking with an ak(Or whatever sucky gun you have) you got early in the game and your thinking "ALL I'LL EVER NEED". Honestly, some of the guns you get later in the game make some fights too easy

Yeah, you can have vehicles in Stalker now. Here's a video of them.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=792YKOV_DsU[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, in fact there is some cutout content still left in the code such as: vehicles, cut out mutants, sleeping,etc...

People are brining these features back through mods right now.

The vehicle mod can be found through here:

http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums

go to STALKER forum, then modding, then Vehicle mod 1.0

They seem to blow up easily, however you can modify the the collision values by going to \S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl\gamedata\config\models\vehicles and changing the ltx files around.

I HIGHLY doubt you had an exoskeleton if you were having that trouble.
A few feet away I could easily pick off a few guys, aim for the head, this is the future, body armor is great in the future, but head gear is almost non-existant. (That and the fact, I believe that when you get the exoskeleton IF you do find it, you can't turn back in the game and you have to finish it)

The bullet caliber is not a very accurate way to tell how awesome a gun is. A smaller bullet will transfer force through something easier and go straight through the target (Going through a vital organ = deadly). A larger bullet will have a bigger stopping force (Bullets are originally designed to kill by stopping force). Military uses bullets that don't transfer as much stopping force into their target, but instead go clean through. (So I believe and so I just read)

Don't run and gun, I finished the last part of the game with no med kits or bandages except for what I found on bodies. It was easy, I just don't shoot their feet while standing with absolutely no cover, not crouched, and not using my ironsight.

USE YOUR IRONSIGHT.

Wow mods adding stuff like that so quickly is awesome! And it just goes to show how much was actually implemented but taken out for balance and whatnot.
Very awesome.

What exactly is this sleep/dream stuff? And how fast do the vehicles go? I think I could like this game a lot more if I didn't have to walk a bazillion miles just to talk to someone to get my money after a mission.

What exactly is this sleep/dream stuff? And how fast do the vehicles go? I think I could like this game a lot more if I didn't have to walk a bazillion miles just to talk to someone to get my money after a mission.

Well, the problem with the vehicles is that the great majority of loading zones can only be crossed on foot.

Instance from the Cordon to the Garbage, and the Garbage to the Bar, and the Bar to the Wilderness. All of those have gates that are cracked open only enough to let a person through.

Would be really lame imo to have to ditch your car every time you switch zones.

damn gates should be open. But aren't there some vehicles near some gates? And don't the vehicles stay say after you leave them, go into another zone and come back?

damn gates should be open. But aren't there some vehicles near some gates? And don't the vehicles stay say after you leave them, go into another zone and come back?

I have no clue, but even if they did, and even if there are vehicles at the entrance/exit of every gate, it'd still be REALLY REALLY lame to have to get out and just see what's at the other end.

Other end?

You come to the gate that leads from the Garbage to the bar.

You ditch your car, and walk through on foot.

Then, you spawn in the bar, the "Other End" of the gate, and have to look around to see what cars are around.

Granted, you couldn't drive in the bar anyway, but you see what I mean, yes?

For the Cordon to the Garbage though, you could always cut through the Dark Valley.

This game really has grown on me. The combat is pretty incredible once you get some decent guns (see: scopes).

I'm having a lot of fun, and I'm not playing very often so I should still have a lot of gameplay left.

Yeah once you get to the bar and go hunting around Wild Territory and Army Warehouses you should be able to pick up some decent weapons. Then it actually becomes a little too easy. If you find the VSS Vintorez in the Army Warehouses, and eventually a load of AP ammo for it, it's more or less one bullet for each kill, so most of the time ten kills per magazine. :D

I'm doing the first mission for the Barkeep and ive gotten to the part where I need to go into the underground lab or whatever. But on the map its showing the entrance under a crane and I can't figure how to get underneath it, anyone know how?

I remember that. I believe the entrance is through some pipes underground. I don't think it was right near the crane. I may be wrong though.

As pretty challanging as 'novice' mode was, I think I might just try it on stalker, possibley get the real endings.

Back