Safest way to scan a used MP3 player?

MJ12

The Freeman
Reaction score
I just ordered a used MP3 player cuz I don't have $300 to drop right now.

What is the safest way I can scan it for viruses without infecting my computer?

Dip a q-tip in hydrogen peroxide and gently wipe the connection terminal. Put the q-tip in a petri dish or other sterile container. Apply a few drops of phenolphthalein to the tip, and observe. If it changes pink, that means it's safe. If orange, there is a virus.

If you dont have any phenolphthalein, you can stick the q-tip in the end of your pee-pee for a few seconds. Same effect pretty much.

Unplug your HDD, boot from Hiren's, run scans, or just reformat it. Or do it from a live Linux cd, then you dont need to unplug your HDD.

Or plug it into a condom-PC (Ubuntu) that is immune, then format!

How will he format it without hooking it up to his computer?

The only option is to hook it up to a usb drive that has its own virus and make them do battle.

Maybe the device has an option to format the card? Cameras and cell phones do at least.

Well if it did he probably wouldn't have needed the thread.

Though he hasn't received it yet so he doesn't know.

A good virus would prevent the device from formatting itself!

I installed a free program a while back that blocks autorun on USB drives, because I have to transfer data off school computers that I know have viruses. But I'm not smart enough to know if that would actually work for your purposes or not....

[edit] Nevermind, on second thought, I remember it not doing anything for my ipod.

Look for a format option in the settings of the MP3 player, no computer needed. Otherwise just boot an Ubuntu live CD with your hard disks out.

Back