school help: Vietnam War info

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
post random facts on the Vietnam War, nothing overtly obvious I just need filler for my final speech tomorrow so I actually look like I know a thing or two on the war (I did research but I want some more facts)

Some american troops used their shotguns/rifles as bongs to smoke weed (of course).

Tr0n said:
Some american troops used their shotguns/rifles as bongs to smoke weed out of (of course).

The biggest benefit of the new gas-blowback system present in the M-16 rifles! lol

bliink said:
The biggest benefit of the new gas-blowback system present in the M-16 rifles! lol
:LOL:

We learn somethin new everyday eh?

American Soldiers would occasionly throw away thier glitchy M16s for the AKs that the Vietnamese used. But, unfourtanatley, solders would occasionly hear AK fire from thier fellow troops and mistake them for the vietnamese...

damn team killers

Danimal said:
American Soldiers would occasionly throw away thier glitchy M16s for the AKs that the Vietnamese used. But, unfourtanatley, solders would occasionly hear AK fire from thier fellow troops and mistake them for the vietnamese...

damn team killers

I heard about that... apparently, the AK weapons are still considered amongst the best weapons ever made, due to their ability to stand up to all kinds of abuse and still retain excellent accuracy etc

Danimal said:
Correct, Bliink.

An AK-47, firing rounds in rapid succession, has an extremely accurate first shot, but the accuracy of following rounds decreases almost exponentially.
As a result, it is often used solely in single-round mode.

(ahhh... the joys of tom clancy games :p)

The vietnam war was the first war that was broadcasted in the media through news and such. Now the people could see the reality of war.

lol i think i got that one from the BF:V loading screen ;)

and if you want to know alot about Vietnam watch Platoon, its really accurate. And if you can get a hold of the Special Edition, listen to Oliver Stones comentary it will get you a ton of vietnam info..

Fun fact:

Think the M16 is an "accurate" rifle?
50,000 rounds per confirmed kill in Vietnam.

SPAM SPAM SPAM (3 round burst) :p

bliink said:
I heard about that... apparently, the AK weapons are still considered amongst the best weapons ever made, due to their ability to stand up to all kinds of abuse and still retain excellent accuracy etc
Not accuracy, just jams. It was mostly the special forces that would use the AKs because they would be getting their weapons beat up and dirty a lot for long periods of time. The M16 didn't jam that often either. And the statistic about the M16, it was an accurate rifle(although not as accurate as the m14, but a soldier could hold more ammunition as it used .223 instead of .306) but the military encouraged soldier to use lots of fire to pin down the enemies, the government also equated shots fired to kills, so they figured the more ammo they were sending the more enemies that would die.

I should think some research into what actually started it would be interesting.

Ho Chi Minh was financed by the USA in order to take down Jap rule on the region. :D

it's funny how things like that tend to repeat themselves.

Superglue was first developed as an adhesive but then found another use as an application for immediate wound closure and was first field tested in the vietnam war...

Super glue, Krazy glue, Eastman 910 and similar glues are all a special type of glue called cyanoacrylates. Cyanoacrylates were invented in 1942 by Dr. Harry Coover of Kodak Laboratories during experiments to make a special extra-clear plastic suitable for gun sights. He found they weren't suitable for that purpose, so he set the formula aside. Six years later he pulled it out of the drawer thinking it might be useful as a new plastic for airplane canopies. Wrong again--but he did find that cyanoacrylates would glue together many materials with incredible strength and quick action, including two very expensive prisms when he tried to test the ocular qualities of the substance. Seeing possibilities for a new adhesive, Kodak developed "Eastman #910" (later "Eastman 910") a few years later as the first true "super glue." In a now-famous demonstration conducted in 1959, Dr. Coover displayed the strength of this new product on the early television show "I've Got a Secret," where he used a single drop placed between two steel cylinders to lift the host of the show, Garry Moore, completely off of the ground.

The use of cyanoacrylate glues in medicine was considered fairly early on. Eastman Kodak and Ethicon began studying whether the glues could be used to hold human tissue together for surgery. In 1964 Eastman submitted an application to use cyanoacrylate glues to seal wounds to the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Soon afterward Dr. Coover's glue did find use in Vietnam--reportedly in 1966 cyanoacrylates were tested on-site by a specially trained surgical team, with impressive results. According to an interview with Dr. Coover by the Kingsport Times-News:

Coover said the compound demonstrated an excellent capacity to stop bleeding, and during the Vietnam War, he developed disposal cyanoacrylate sprays for use in the battle field.

"If somebody had a chest wound or open wound that was bleeding, the biggest problem they had was stopping the bleeding so they could get the patient back to the hospital. And the consequence was--many of them bled to death. So the medics used the spray, stopped the bleeding, and were able to get the wounded back to the base hospital. And many, many lives were saved," Coover said.

"This was very powerful. That's something I'm very proud of--the number of lives that were saved," he said.

Ironically, the Food & Drug Administration hadn't given approval for the medical use of the compound at that point. But the military used the substance, anyway (reference 1).

Although cyanoacrylate glues were useful on the battlefield, the FDA was reluctant to approve them for civilian use. In part, this was due to a tendency of the early compounds (made from "methyl-2-cyanoacrylate") to irritate the skin as the glue reacted with water and cured in the skin, releasing cyanoacetate and formaldehyde. A compound called "butyl-2-cyanoacrylate" was developed to reduce toxicity, but suffered from brittleness and cracking a few days after application. Finally an improved cyanoacrylate glue was developed for medical applications called "2-octyl-cyanoacrylate." This compound causes less skin irritation and has improved flexibility and strength--at least three times the strength of the butyl-based compound (reference 2). As a result, in 1998 the FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for use in closing wounds and surgical incisions, and in 2001 approved it for use as a "barrier against common bacterial microbes including certain staphylococci, pseudomonads, and Escherichia coli" (reference 2). This latest incarnation was marketed under the name Traumaseal as well as the more popular Dermabond.

Back