Scientists achieve technological singularity, ushering in a new age of peace and prosperity

Bad^Hat

The Freeman
Reaction score
Sorry, kind of flubbed the title. What I meant was

Grumpy Cat – voted Meme of the Year at the 2013 Webby Awards – has landed a movie deal.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/grumpy-cat-lands-movie-deal

Literally cannot imagine a worse sentence right now. In seventeen words, IGN, of all people, have perfectly summarised everything I hate about what the internet has become. It's moments like these that make me feel completely secure in my jadedness.

Oh but it gets worse. I just had to go looking for another source to verify this...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324412604578513352795950958.html

This article needs to be read in full to appreciate the sheer, species-limiting absurdity of what's occurring, but here are some choice quotes if you're lazy.

Mr. Lashes, 34 years old, is an agent for Internet cats.
This week, Mr. Lashes helped negotiate the sale of a film option based on Grumpy Cat's persona to Broken Road Productions, the production company responsible for Adam Sandler's 2011 vehicle "Jack and Jill."
I really like the subtle use of the word "responsible" in this sentence, in an otherwise completely neutral and non-judgmental piece. It communicates the writer's true feelings pretty effectively.
This week, Grumpy Cat is coming to New York to promote the forthcoming Chronicle Books release, "Grumpy Cat: A Grumpy Book: Disgruntled Tips and Activities Designed to Put a Frown on Your Face" at BookExpo America, the publishing industry convention.
His newest client is Princess Monster Truck, a cat with an underbite.
At the South by Southwest tech convention in Austin, Texas, in March, he arranged a paid-appearance deal for Grumpy Cat from the website Mashable. For two-hour stretches over three days, the cat lay on a cushioned pedestal in Mashable's tent and conventioneers waited in line for hours to have their photo taken with the nonplused puss.

There's another great one at the end but I don't want to spoil it.

If you don't have a raging hate boner yet, here's that "meme of the year" thing that was mentioned in the IGN headline, featuring oh god why Patton why

But at least it wasn't as cringe inducing as last year's.

[meme]
MXZtl23.jpg
[/meme]

i hate what the "Social Network Boom" has done to the internet. and i hate what it is doing to people.

especially the effect it has had on video games. GRID2 is the pinnacle of this (for anyone that has played it, you know what i mean in the Career Mode) and so is the Xbox One. it is becoming technology gone bad. dont get me wrong im not shouting "THE END IS NEAR" but it doesnt take a brain surgeon to look at what the internet was like in '03-'04 (pre-Facebook/Twitter...pre-Windows Vista...pre-iPhone/iPad) and look at where the internet was in '11-'12 and see where the shift has taken place.

just like when the Dot Com Bubble popped at the turn of the century, the Social Network Bubble will pop within the next 3-5 years because people are getting fed up with the over emphasis companies are putting on social networking and its role in their consumer bases; and subsequently the massive amounts of money that these sites are supposedly worth will tank HARD. VERY HARD.

the tablet and moblie markets are heavily saturated because of this. no one really needs all this shit. we were fine with myspace. then zuckerberg came round and ****ed everything up, and it will take a decade for the internet to fix itself.

people are getting burnt out on tweets and facebook posts and memes because none of it really means anything, and it is shoved in your face 24/7. its all a massive popularity contest, and the more people that realize that, the sooner the Social Network Bubble will pop. almost everyone has been consumed by social media since 2008 and its time for people to wake up from the dream.

i mean come the **** on...meme of the year awards? who the **** really cares? grumpy cat on ****ing Anderson Cooper? do they really have nothing better to broadcast, so they bring on grumpy cat? what the ****. overly attacted girlfriend appearing on TV shows? you seriously cant cast anyone better so you go with a ****ing internet meme? disgusting. im also tired of people using memes to promote shit on posters and flyers because ITS ****ING CHEAP AND UNCREATIVE. the big bang theory is arguable the worst ****ing show i have watched in the last 5 years and it is such a ****ing sellout it pains me to hear people praise it for being a good show for nerds just because it is relatable. its a circus for stereotypes.

ITS UNFORGIVABLE

the only person i was happy to see pop up on TV Shows and Comedy Specials was Bo Burnham. cuz like hamlet hes all about words, words, words.

usually when a company or service gets too popular, it will try to appeal to a wider, broader demographic in order continue being popular and in order to keep revenues at a constant rise. that is also when a company or service tends to alienate its original consumer base because said company or service is no longer developing their products with their original consumer base in mind

Valve has doing this ever since TF2 exploded and went f2p. you can disagree, but i know i am right on this one.

the internet, as a whole, is going through the same thing as we speak. people are selling out left and right for popularity's sake and i HATE seeing Patton Oswald hosting that event. it ****ing kicks me square in the nuts because Patton Oswald and MC Chris are two people ive always looked at in the same light, and had a ridiculous amount of respect for due to their personality and body of work.

EDIT: sorry, im hungover and mad about it. anyone ever watch Idiocracy with Luke Wilson and Terry Crews? its kinda like that.

I'm genuinely not getting why people are agitated by this. Seems like a bit of a non-issue.

the big bang theory is arguable the worst ****ing show i have watched in the last 5 years and it is such a ****ing sellout it pains me to hear people praise it for being a good show for nerds just because it is relatable. its a circus for stereotypes.
Big Bang Theory isn't supposed to be a show just for nerds. They intentionally make it relatable to as many people as possible so as not to limit the audience. I don't think the show itself has ever claimed to be a show designed for nerds and gamers etc. has it? Plus, it's a comedy, so viewing the show and expecting it not to play on stereotypes and be extremely realistic about what average Scientists are like is kind of optimistic.

can't bring myself to care that much, then again, I don't leave my house or turn on the TV

Plus, it's a comedy, so viewing the show and expecting it not to play on stereotypes and be extremely realistic about what average Scientists are like is kind of optimistic.

So? Are you saying it being a flood of constant stupid stereotypes shouldn't bother people because that's predictable?

Yeah, it's kind of frustrating, but conversely, I feel like people are just running out of shit to genuinely hate.

It's a cat that got a movie deal by looking grumpy. What's not to hate.

That video with Nyan Cat made me uncomfortable.

**** science, who needs that shit anyway? we've got them memes, thats enough for now.

Back