Selling HL2

B

Bigboy

How does one go about selling a copy of HL2? I bought it at the shops and am done with it now.... so Id like to sell the serial+dvd.

Anyone any idea how you go about doing this?

You can't. Once you register it with steam, the serial becomes useless.

There isn't a way of removing it from your Steam account so therefore you won't be able to sell it unless you sell everything else on your Steam account.

Either way, it's either illegal or frowned upon by retailers so you probably won't have much luck.

If you don't have any other games on your Steam account, you can sell the DVD and give your steam username/password with it, then the person who buys it can play.

I dont think you would even have to pay im sure there is a facility within the system to remove keys and transfare them from steam account to account.

if not it would be incredibly poorly coded.!

How can you be done with it? The mods are just starting to form.

CriYam said:
How can you be done with it? The mods are just starting to form.
What kind of mods? Is there something more I can expect from this Game?

Are you joking? The entire point of buying HL2 is for the mods that will be released for years upon years.

CriYam said:
Are you joking? The entire point of buying HL2 is for the mods that will be released for years upon years.
I'm not joking I'm new too Half-Life 2. I don't know what to expect; that's why I'm asking is there more to come that I'm not aware of. :eek:

michaelsil1 said:
I'm not joking I'm new too Half-Life 2. I don't know what to expect; that's why I'm asking is there more to come that I'm not aware of. :eek:

If the mod scene for HL2 is anything like the original, you can expect plenty of interesting new content in the future. At the moment, i'd recommend googling for mods such as "Project Hull Breach", "Periculum", and "Sven Co-op 2".

The original Half-life spawned many a mod which help cement it's place as arguably one of the best games of all time. Counter-Strike, for instance would not exist today if it wasn't for this openess to modding.

HL2 will continue this trend with perhaps even greater results given the technology behind it.

Half-Life 1 has hundreds upon hundreds of user-made modifications, from simple things like extra mission packs to games like Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat, which hardly resemble the original game at all.

Half-Life 2 has at least 500 mods registered on moddb.com and probably 500 more that haven't registered there. Mods are completely free and they're probably 70% of the reason I bought Half-Life 2.

This is very interesting, how do these Mods work and how can I take advantage of them?

michaelsil1 said:
This is very interesting, how do these Mods work and how can I take advantage of them?

Here:

Google said:
(Modification) A term referring to a change made to a published game. Mods are almost always made by fans of the game and are usually encouraged by the developers. Mods go beyond simply creating a level and usually change the game in some way either by adding elements or changing the rules. For example: one popular mod for the game Quake III involves the addition of a grappling hook weapon which allows players to move around the game world in ways the developer never intended. The grappling hook was not part of the original game. In Unreal Tournament mods are called Mutators.

You seriously have never heard of a mod? How often do you play games? You just download them and follow the instructions to install them. You can think of them as a kind of user-made expansion pack to the game, only the expansion pack can be totally different than the original game. Maybe thats not the best example but it's along those lines.

dart321 said:
Here:

You seriously have never heard of a mod? How often do you play games? You just download them and follow the instructions to install them. You can think of them as a kind of user-made expansion pack to the game, only the expansion pack can be totally different than the original game. Maybe thats not the best example but it's along those lines.
No I haven't. :(
My gaming experience has been very limited (Diablo II LOD). So being a little bored I bought another Game Half-Life 2; I’m now going through the Game for a second time. So yes I'm completely ignorant of Mods.

So any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Mods are addons to the game created by fans that you can download for free. They can be stuff for the original game like extra maps, or completely different stuff. You know of Counter-Strike, right? Well, it's a Half-Life mod, and has very little in common with Half-Life itself.

Basically, a skilled team can create an absolutely new game as a mod for HL2, using the engine and everything, but that would bear no similarity to HL2.

Just don't expected anything decent for at least a year, maybe even two

Murray_H said:
Just don't expected anything decent for at least a year, maybe even two
Thanks. :cheers:
So is there a place or Forum to keep track of the latest and greatest?

michaelsil1 said:
Thanks. :cheers:
So is there a place or Forum to keep track of the latest and greatest?
The newspage shows all progress on all kinds of mods.

I really wouldn't sell the game. You will regret it in two years otherwise :p

michaelsil1 said:
No I haven't. :(
My gaming experience has been very limited (Diablo II LOD). So being a little bored I bought another Game Half-Life 2; I’m now going through the Game for a second time. So yes I'm completely ignorant of Mods.

So any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Dear god man! Where to start....

Right, firstly it is VERY rare for someone like to you even register on a forum like this, imo this is a VERY good thing for you :p

Secondly, there will be TONS and TONS of mods for this game that you will play, many of which haven't even been thought of yet. So just hang on, check back every now and then. Imo, the first few mods will start giving out alpha (very early build of the mod) releases in the first quareter of 2005.

Thirdly, go buy other games! :p Here are a few which imo are cool:
FarCry
Joint Operations
Half-Life
Flatout

Well, firstly... I just dont have the time to play it... I have too much to do. If it gets good in 2 years, hell I'll buy it from a bargan bin again at 1/2 the price I'll sell it for! :)

In the UK, Im entitled to sell the game on second hand - I think it comes under fair use. So, I can sell the game and transfer the key. Im guessing that there must be aprovision or they'd probably end up breaking UK laws..... especially since there was nothing on the packaging that told you otherwise.

I haven't made up my mind, more because I like counterstrike than anything else... but I just dont play it! :(

I don't think there is actual way to sell this game. And if there is, it isn't easy. Besides, unless you have another copy, I garuntee you you'll regret selling HL2. It's an amazing game.

well here is a really crappy (ans short) history of mods and i'll list some different mod types:

modding basically started with id software's doom game. id created the game in such a way that users could modify and change elements of the game (mainly graphics, level design, sounds, and certain play elements like damage etc).

the 3 main type of mods i can think of are:

addons: very minor mods which simply add a new weapon or change a property (like make your guy jump higher or run faster than usual) of the retail game. the rest of the game is completely the same as before.

maps: mods that add entirely new levels to the retail game, but re-use the same graphics and sounds found in the retail game.

total conversion: the big one. a mod that contains entirely new graphics, sounds, levels and story. everything is still run on the same old "engine" of the retail game. these are basically entirely new games. counterstrike and day of defeat are examples of half-life total conversions.

i guess over the years a 4th type arose...
re-textured: a modder recreates all the graphics of the game making them look much better, but doesn't change the retail game's levels or story itself. this is mainly used for older games to bring the aging graphics up to today's standards, but can also be done on new games that people feel looks bad (ie: thief 3).

the vast majority of mods are completely free.

sometimes a developer will purchase the rights to use a game's engine and they will make their own total conversion and sell it via retail. these are usually not considered total conversions though since the developer also has complete access to the engine's source code (regular modder's only have limited to none (?)), and therefore can make even further major changes to the game. example: daikatana uses quake 2 engine. half-life uses quake 1 and some of quake 2 engine.

just a pointer: games (or at least first-person shooters) are very rarely as high-quality as half-life games. they automatically set the new standard by which FPS games are judged. In fact before HL2 came out some recent games were still compared to Half-Life in reviews even if the game was made in 97-98. So I would not advise selling it. At least not if you plan on finding something better because you just won't for a little while :)
and Half-Life has the biggest online community right now (along with Blizzard titles of course) and new modifications and new maps and new total conversions are being made regularly. I'd say it's pretty hard to make an investment as worthwhile as HL2.

you will also see that the thing ages very well. a lot of people still enjoy a quick play-through of half-life despite of the dated technology because the design is just so good.

You can't really sell HL2, but you can easily sell your steam account. Just give the buyer your account name and password. He'll just change the password and the account becomes his own.

It does not matter. I dont think that EB takes Computer games just console games. Plus there is going to be some new mods coming out soon that you can wait for.

Back