Setting up character model on CS:S rig?

Shinobi

Tank
Reaction score
is this possible and is there a tutorial to do this?

All you need to do is decompile an orignal model and skin to the bones in the scene. Compile out the new reference model and your done. Your model should now run off the orignal css animations.

if I do it with the XSI biped guide (same way as with HL2dm) and export the weighted model as a reference, then compile with the CT_urban qc (with the appropriate changes) will that work..

or do I haev to decompile a CSS model because they have particular attachment points or null etc?

You could do but i would suggest decompiling the model you are going to replace with your own model. You shouldnt have to change anything in the qc files if you do that just hit recompile and your done.

k I've gotten him into max and exported him with the skin modifier.. unfortunately trying to use the character in game yields a memory address error (referenced 0000000x0011 etc..)

anyone had this problem?

does 3dsmax have an equivalent to freezing in XSI I'm assuming it's already frozen if it only has the skin modifier on the stack and nothing else

Yeah it wont work with the Xsi biped guide because the default css:s skeleton is posed differently. I think the equivilent to freezing would be to create a box "merge" them, (sorry cant remember the max term) and then delete the box. Thats what I do for Torque models.

as for your error. Are all the vertice conencted to a bone?

I've managed, to get the character model in game by decompiling CT_urban and weighting my character on the rig from it... I compile it with the appropriate changes and it all works fine.. until he dies

I get an error that is aparently due to something bad happenign with the ragdoll and merging of bones...

I'll keep messing around with it...

btw: does the CSS rig only have 2 fingers with bones?

I get the impression that this program is for creating qc's.. The model compiles fine with no errors... It only crashes in game when a player dies (the ragdoll is initiated)...

I will double check my qc though and update on the situation

sorry for the long time to reply and thanks for the help so far :)

managed to fix it!

for some odd reason the decompiler seemed to reference the wrong collision model in the qc.. changed it and everything works great now

thanks for all the help and concern Stormy/Davina

Renders?! :D I want to see what you have done after all this trouble :)

Renders?! :D I want to see what you have done after all this trouble :)

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to :p

I'm remodelling the head anyways, my head was the original reference but aparently I'm too cute and my nose is to big for a grizzled military figure :D:D

I'll post in here as soon as i get clearance from the rest of the team and finish the head

thx again :)

Hey guys!
I know this is old and probably won't get help, but its worth a try.

I have a new model, and want to implement this for CSS. Its a female anime character, mapped and all, the thing is, I want to know if anyone here can take my .max file and please do the bone-ing for me, that would really help me out, or if you can, walk me through it if you are free.

Thanks!
Ghost

brutal

Its a pretty long process. you need to add the skin modifier to your model and in there attach the bones and weight the verts to the bones. Ie the arm gets weighted to the arm bone, the head gets weighted to the head bone.

Verts all need to have an influence of 1.0 in total and can be spread across multipal bones. This is useful around joints. So for example around the elbow you may give a vert 0.5 to the upper arm bone and 0.5 to the lower arm bone. This is to try and smooth things out and stop geometry caving in on its self.

I think there is some weighting stuff in this old ass tutorial i did.

http://www.moddb.com/members/stormy101/tutorials/creating-a-weapon-for-source-part-3

Back