Should headcrabs be allowed to make threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its reasonable if they can't make threads untill they get to the next level, it's not that many posts.

They should however, be allowed to post anywhere, vote on anything, and participate in any discussion untill they are truely ready to make reasonable threads and understand what is right and wrong.

People making threads like these neither should be allowed to make threads.

Apart from that, the whole logic behind the idea is flawed. If a Headcrab would know he could not post a new thread until he'd the reach the next level, the result will be even more spam than we already have. Derr?

they whole argument behind this is flawed. its like saying people's post count represents there intelligence, if a headcrab is an idiot, posts idiot replies to threads. once they get up a level they can then post idiotic threads, so its completely pointless

Buhuu, my name is Dougy !

I'm superior ! I'm better than you, headcrabs is the scourge of this fórum. Ok... this is a stupid answer to a stupid thread.

Thank you for the attention.

Originally posted by Dougy
Should Head crabs be allowed to make threads?

after seeing yet another "valve owe you nothing!, you owe them your LIFE" threads and being labeled a "moron" for not liking valve, ive come to agree with the guy who said Junior patrons sutch as headcrabs should not be allowed to post topics.

not only will this stop the "you owe valve" threads but also the

"i have hl2 and my uncle is gabe"
"will half life run on my nintendo?"
"i hate the HAXOR"
"i hope the beta DL's die of ball cancer"
"a question for gabe"
"valve sucks"
"valve rules"
"spam in here"

threads.

Now i know Discriminating against junior members can be bad cos not all are idiots but the majority are, One forum i regularly visit is TotalWar.org and when you first register you can only post in the basic 1st forum only, and after the moderators see that you arent a knob they give you access to other parts of the forums.

right now any tom dick or harry can sign up in 2 minutes and talk a lot of crap, but by making it so headcrabs cannot post threads i reckon the forum will dramatically improve in all asspects, the flamers and "noobs" will be put off by the "trial" membership and go elsewhere.

of course thats just my opinion.

Any comments?

*please note i used the "valve owe etc." as an example of the threads that i hate and shouldnt be considered as the sole reason i posted*

edit: the grammar bug strikes again.

yeah you know you have no friends when you judge people on there status as a "headcrab" on a freakin video game forum. you sir are an idiot

I mentioned this yesterday I think on another thread - but how about the moderators moderate threads made by headcrabs, so they don't appear instantly only when the moderator for that section allows it.. that way they can prevent the oft repeated and pointless threads but not censor the mature new users completely either

*sigh*

I just like reading posts, I've been registered for a while I just don't see the need to post.

Saying Headcrabs should not be able to post is rather silly and closed minded.

OMG, I thought this was a joke, but you guys are for real.

what makes you think that you have to be a long term member (seems one month will do) of a forum to know about the game? this is too funny, are you 10 years old? if so I can forgive you.

I'm a "headcrab" and I'm also a game level designer for First person shooters, who works in games and also has a map as a finalist in the $1million "make sonething unreal" contest.

which makes me more of an authority than alot of you I'm sure, but I dont go pushing my opinons all up in your Hizzy :) Unfortunetly I have to list my credentials to be takin seriously as a "headcrab".

[sarcasm]how about we just make a compulsory IQ test before you are allowed to post, and if you dont score above the elitist 140 mark, then you are IP banned from the forum and humiliated by some nerds who take a forum and a game way too seriously[/sarcasm]

This thread is proof of exactly why every1 should be able to post threads, after all, if you can (and judging by this thread) then ANY headcrab should be able to make threads. You really need to drop this elitist attitude, and think you are holier than thou just because you have made more posts. As has been commented on already, it would only lead to headcrabs spamming topics to get the 100 posts. How about, something like, "stupid" threads get you a warning, you have 2/3 warnings, then if you use them all up, you get banned.. simple as that. You cant judge maturity/intelligence/thought on a new status, just cos people are new, as that is in itself highlight the lack of intelligence of people like you.. well thats me done.. some people here really need to wake up and realise theres more to life than half life 2 and halflife2.net forums... *rollseyes*

I personally wouldn't care one way or another since I too am more a reader than poster. But I have to say though, I have seen just as many bad threads and flames from others who are not headcrabs.

And I do see a problem with massive spam to build up post counts in order to quickly get past headcrab staus.

But of the ideas, I like Fenric1138's as one of the better ones.

Yes, it is seriously a horrible, laughable idea. It ENCOURAGES said idiots to spam replies to threads instead making topics which are quickly deleted.

Being a headcrab has nothing to do with competency to make a thread. I'm still a headcrab, only because I don't make stupid, meaningless posts like so many others in the community. I'm 23, and a software developer. Do you think I shouldn't be able to post?

Maybe this idea would make sense if there was a 1-4 week period where no new topics can be made, but not by post count.

I really think that the only ones who care about post count/forum status are the ones who so quickly turn decent threads into meaningless garbage by adding their .0000001 cents. The idiots who have personal conversations in threads. They are as much a problem as the annoying repetitive threads in this forum.

Originally posted by Buckyfg
OMG, I thought this was a joke, but you guys are for real.

what makes you think that you have to be a long term member (seems one month will do) of a forum to know about the game? this is too funny, are you 10 years old? if so I can forgive you.

I'm a "headcrab" and I'm also a game level designer for First person shooters, who works in games and also has a map as a finalist in the $1million "make sonething unreal" contest.

which makes me more of an authority than alot of you I'm sure, but I dont go pushing my opinons all up in your Hizzy :) Unfortunetly I have to list my credentials to be takin seriously as a "headcrab".

I dunno mate, I haven't felt the need to go into detail what my career is just to get some respect, I rarely do that anyway, I'm always wondering if people bother with me cause of my job or cause of me as a person. I like anonimity cause people are more genuine towards you.

I've so far been treated ok here and I turned up when the shit had hit the fan so to speak, I think its only the odd one or two who look down on people who have just joined or judge people on how many posts they've made, most here seem ok and treat you like you treat them. By the responses Dougy has had a lot of people don't really agree with his views.

it's been my observation that some of the most annoying people on any forum have high thread counts.

here's some little thoughts...

Listen a hundred times; ponder a thousand times; speak once.

Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving evidence of the fact.

Headcrabs not being able to create threads? What putz made up that idea?

Let me state some things about this horible idea:

1) Not all people who are noobs to this forum are noobs to HL2.

2) It will just lead to spamming so they can create threads.

3) How would you feel if you couldn't make threads, just because you don't sit around on these forums all day, posting irrevelent garbage. Having "cyber-jocks" critisize you for being a headcrab, because your posts consist of actual information, instead of posts like "well...", and "haha".

Originally posted by Fenric1138
I dunno mate, I haven't felt the need to go into detail what my career is just to get some respect, I rarely do that anyway, I'm always wondering if people bother with me cause of my job or cause of me as a person. I like anonimity cause people are more genuine towards you.

I've so far been treated ok here and I turned up when the shit had hit the fan so to speak, I think its only the odd one or two who look down on people who have just joined or judge people on how many posts they've made, most here seem ok and treat you like you treat them. By the responses Dougy has had a lot of people don't really agree with his views.

I just felt I had to make the point, I dont need to mention what I do to get respect. I usually never mention what I do.
In my view most people here are big fans of the game and know it pretty well. but making a thread like this can make you sit back and go "what is he thinking?"

http://www.petitiononline.com As much as I hate this website, I demand that someone creates a petition to fobid headcraps to create threads unless given special permission by the administrators! We must fill the streets and riot, my fellow evolved headcrabs. Whether you're Zombies or Combines, we must do this together. Now who's with me?

I'm all for Headcrabs not being able to make a thread, but if they can't post, how will they ever stop being headcrabs?

?:|
S

Here is what is a good idea.

How about all new members have a week probation period. They cannotmake new threads only post and respond. Moderators can then give the ok to accept the account and become a board memeber. If u give them one week, it is enough time to see what is and isnt allowed. In's and outs. Workings of the board and so fourth.

I wasn't the smartest headcrab when I joined but its fine once u know how things work. And it WILL reduce spam and junk threads :)

cmon now, its just a title, you can be a hewadcrab or a prowler and still make silly posts, this aint going nowhere
and BTW im a headcrab and proud of it

U will change your tune once u hit zombie status and see how stupid 60+ headcrabs are.

Just because there was an influx of people when the HL2 source was stolen doesn't mean you should discriminate the people wishing to come here and talk about it.

It wasn't applied to any of you, so it shouldn't be applied to any of them.

1000 posts doesn't make you a worthy poster. It just means you've yapped 1000 times about 1000 meaningless things.

I didnt say u couldnt respond, only u couldnt make crappy threads like u people do. and U DO!! Dont deny it, 80% of Threads headcrabs make are boring ass, ITS DELAYED!! or GOING GOLD TOMMOROW!! and the classic B3T@ |$ t3h l3et0rZ

Why not remove details of month registered and post titles from all users, make everyone equal and only the mods have any extra details, other than that everybody is the same as everyone else and maturity alone governs how people get treated, not what month they joined or how many "lol" or "I agree" posts they've made.

kidrock540 - Watch your attitude, consider this a warning.

Can u see what i am getting at? If there was one week probation from making threads, it would weed out all the morons that post to either flame, rage and end up getting I.P. banned. They make u people look bad. Sorry if u dont like it but its the truth.

i totally agree, fenric. there's only one instance where someone with a headcrab title might not know the rules and make spammy threads, and that's if they've just registered and don't know forum etiquette. what about the headcrabs that registered back in may and just don't post much? how is being someone who got to ant lion in under a month better than someone who posts maybe twice a week?

this just seems like a feeble attempt to draw conclusions about someone from something as irrelevant as their forum status title, a.k.a. prejudice and discrimination. the closest thing you can get to understanding someone is by reading their posts, and those sure as hell don't go through a status filter to stupid/smarten them up or something.

yeah. preaching to the choir :p

Hello. I'm one of the oldest registration dates here. Every single one of my posts is coherent, intelligent, and worthwhile. I also, probably, am a headcrab.

Thank you for listening, and remember, boys: posts don't equal intelligence.

I find it highly ironic that people against this idea have made their opinion public in such a way that they themselves seem, as they aptly said "laughable" and "idiotic". All you have to say is "I disagree and here's why.."

On top of that I once again see people saying "people who post on these forums a lot need to get a life", such a rich comment.

Originally posted by Sparky the Fox
i totally agree, fenric. there's only one instance where someone with a headcrab title might not know the rules and make spammy threads, and that's if they've just registered and don't know forum etiquette. what about the headcrabs that registered back in may and just don't post much? how is being someone who got to ant lion in under a month better than someone who posts maybe twice a week?

this just seems like a feeble attempt to draw conclusions about someone from something as irrelevant as their forum status title, a.k.a. prejudice and discrimination. the closest thing you can get to understanding someone is by reading their posts, and those sure as hell don't go through a status filter to stupid/smarten them up or something.

yeah. preaching to the choir :p

One week probation, so they wont be a headcrab just a normal member, after that u can go up in rank but at least people know u know what goes on around here. Do u read anything....or just scim to the bottom as fast as ur mouse will take u to the quick reply dialogue box?

Originally posted by segenus
I'm all for Headcrabs not being able to make a thread, but if they can't post, how will they ever stop being headcrabs?

?:|
S
Let them post, but no making threads until after puberty.

Well in my experience, new members never read stickys or forum rules

Why doesnt some internet wizard make a pop-up (that can be disabled in your user cp options) that gives a basic outline of the rules e.g. dont spam, flame, use the search button as often as possible, dont post about the same topic over and over, use the right forums etc. etc., and then when people register and visit the forums for the first time, they get the pop-up and hopefully it should get the message through, then they disable it

/me puts a mark on his stupid ideas tally chart

Maybe if we added karma points, the people in the forums could rate other people and that would decide who was good or bad.

Originally posted by DaveKap
Maybe if we added karma points, the people in the forums could rate other people and that would decide who was good or bad.

Then people would make multiple accounts to boost one account to the highest

Although in theory its not a bad idea

Originally posted by coolio2man
Then people would make multiple accounts to boost one account to the highest

Although in theory its not a bad idea
Now you're giving people ideas... /me creates multiplaye accounts. j/k :D

Rating systems are a bad thing in general. I won't go into detail, you can wait until a moderator explains why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back