Should headcrabs be allowed to make threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by DaveKap
Maybe if we added karma points, the people in the forums could rate other people and that would decide who was good or bad.

I like that idea, but it could be abused, and some may begin to complain if nobody was rating them - isn't there something along those lines though where you only vote/rate people in a negative way, and if you don't rate them they gradually go up in the ratings automatically, avoiding people worrying their not being rated atall

Atleast it wasn't another "here's a link to where a headcrab did a boo-boo" post :)

i think the real question here is... should you NERDS be making threads about this headcrab stuff? no.

-merc

From the Acme book of bad idea's

Anyone who wants to post has to pay the moderator of that group five cents per post, edits remain free

Terrible idea but lets face it, that would seriously cut down spam lol

?

I have to say, this is gah!! I can't even belive that someone would think that just because a person is a "headcrab" they should not be allowed to make threads or post reply's.

Consider this.

Those people who say "down with headcrabs!" were at one time headcrabs.

The moderator that say's No new threads after a certain register date. Well if you want this community to kill itself go right ahead.

Instead I offer this, How about the moderator's do thier job and ban/suspend people who post the dumb threads. And members here do their part to report those stupid threads :)

Dont allow someone to make new threads because of their rank or post date. Thats the funniest thing i have heard all day

Why do this? So some moron can make a hundred "Here's a picture of Alyx's dog!" spam posts to unrelated threads just so that he can post some flamebait?

You seem to equate being new to being stupid or an asshole. Being new equates to neither and were it to happen you would only force the assholes to spam off topic until they could post their own threads.

Dumbasses are always going to be dumbasses. Changing the rules won't get rid of them.

What would help would be if the mods enforced some of their own rules!

Shut the offending threads down before they take a toehold or dump them to another forum.

I say no. Most repeat threads are start by ppl that sign up just to rant.

I just don't understand your point.

I'm sure lot's of Headcrab are Headcrab just because they joined last week or something. And I'm sure lot's of them can talk with us and make valid points.
What are you thinking? Do you really think because you're a Ant-Lion or Prowler mean that they can't have a better point than you? ...

This thread should be in off topic or something.

And by the way, some Ant-Lion are dumb too.

Originally posted by coolio2man
One week probation, so they wont be a headcrab just a normal member, after that u can go up in rank but at least people know u know what goes on around here. Do u read anything....or just scim to the bottom as fast as ur mouse will take u to the quick reply dialogue box?

yes, i actually read the entire thread. i'm sorry if you couldn't understand my opinion as it relates to it. as i clearly said in my reply, any kind of censorship based on post count is needless discrimination. if you actually read the thread, you'd see that preventing headcrabs from starting threads wouldn't fix the problem.

it shouldn't be the admins' jobs to make sure people read the forum rules, which they agree to when they click the shiny "Agree" button. it also shouldn't be the admins' jobs to baby-sit the forum because members, of all statuses, resort to totally needless insults and general bad attitudes. but unfortunately, some people decide, for example, that being a combine gives them the right to act condescending and elitist, and are well aware of violating the rules. people who knowingly violating the forum rules, even after a warning and a rather hard-to-miss sticky thread at the top of the forums, are where the problem is. not people who signed up a week ago.

Originally posted by Tyl3n0L
This thread should be in off topic or something.

No this thread should be closed. or something

Originally posted by Unnamed_Player
Why do this? So some moron can make a hundred "Here's a picture of Alyx's dog!" spam posts to unrelated threads just so that he can post some flamebait?

You seem to equate being new to being stupid or an asshole. Being new equates to neither and were it to happen you would only force the assholes to spam off topic until they could post their own threads.

Dumbasses are always going to be dumbasses. Changing the rules won't get rid of them.

What would help would be if the mods enforced some of their own rules!

Shut the offending threads down before they take a toehold or dump them to another forum.

whens the most likely period that a flamer will flame ppl and be a general d***?

answer: when he first registers.

whats the basic rank on these forums

answer: Headcrab.

this thread was not started with hating head crabs in mind, if the flamers where "ant lions" then i would post the same thread just with ant lions replacing head crabs.

sure there are those that turn out to be genuinly nice guys (and girls) but that being said the lowest rank in any system often contains the worst and most offenders.

if group A had a larger amount of immature members than groups b,c,d,e etc. put together, Should groups b,c,d,e ...... have to put up with it?

or should certian restrictions like no starting threads be introduced?

or even the "private" area that one of the staff suggested earlier would be a good idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and lastly, for those of you who are beating on about how headcrabs shouldnt be able to post at all and trying to imply that was my intention You Are Wrong.

i never said they shouldnt be able to post, i just said they shouldnt be able to make new threads, but be able to reply in any thread they want.

turning someones words around enough to make the original message into some other thing is not only petty but is a sign of exactly what these and any forums for that matter do NOT need.

Im gonna say Headcrabs should be allowed to make threads. For the simple fact that everyone has to start somewhere. They will learn what to post and what not to, or they will leave or get banned, lol. Either way, the forum is larger and better for it. Capitalism, its good.

whens the most likely period that a flamer will flame ppl and be a general d***?

answer: when he first registers.

i've seen more zombies and higher making random insults (look at this thread itself) than headcrabs.

Originally posted by Sparky the Fox
yes, i actually read the entire thread. i'm sorry if you couldn't understand my opinion as it relates to it. as i clearly said in my reply, any kind of censorship based on post count is needless discrimination. if you actually read the thread, you'd see that preventing headcrabs from starting threads wouldn't fix the problem.

it shouldn't be the admins' jobs to make sure people read the forum rules, which they agree to when they click the shiny "Agree" button. it also shouldn't be the admins' jobs to baby-sit the forum because members, of all statuses, resort to totally needless insults and general bad attitudes. but unfortunately, some people decide, for example, that being a combine gives them the right to act condescending and elitist, and are well aware of violating the rules. people who knowingly violating the forum rules, even after a warning and a rather hard-to-miss sticky thread at the top of the forums, are where the problem is. not people who signed up a week ago.

It is not needless discrimination to have post count hiarchy. Even the militay and governments have hiarchys. Thus being a community it also needs a hiarchy.

First off, yes stoping headcrabs from making threads would stop the problem. If u saw my examples u would have seen that, of course u aren't very observant. Second of all, mods already babysit these fourms becuase of the headcrabs and other useless posts. Insults describe the way people feel about each other and cannot be deemed useless. A combine wouldn't be condesending to a headcrab but if he is he has the right to do so because he is an active member of the community, and has more experiance usually than that of a headcrab.

U are a zombie, so u are a active member. If someone was to flood ur forum with useless threads wouldn't u want to change that? I would..............duh What a concept!!

:eek:

It is not needless discrimination to have post count hiarchy.
post hierarchy is entirely pointless when it comes to online forums. comparing government bodies, where each level of its structure has a purpose to labels on a forum that only reflect number of posts is not a very sound analogy. obviously, by the way numerous "high-ranking" forumers behave, and continue to behave because they have this strange notion that the "don't be rude" rule only applies to headcrabs, status titles here reflect absolutely nothing about the nature of the person's posts, or their attitude toward other people. its original purpose to be a fun little detail has now become some way of classifying people, not even by how long they've been here, but instead by how many times they've posted. wouldn't a person who's been here for six months and has 30 posts be more likely to make sure they're contributing relevant ideas to the thread rather than someone who's been here a month and has 500 posts? not to say that people with high post counts are inherently spamming. there are obviously examples of where this is not the case. the only difference that can reflect post quality is the person themselves, and unless they go through some huge maturation phase as they post more, their personality will not change with their "status".
If u saw my examples u would have seen that, of course u aren't very observant.
your "examples" were not compelling. i prefer to go on my own experience of reading most threads that come up. also, if you're going to continue to resort to random insults, then you prove my point further of status being independent of the poster's character.

Second of all, mods already babysit these fourms becuase of the headcrabs and other useless posts.
and it is precisely this kind of attitude, that it's all the headcrabs' fault, that gives zombies and up the idea that their negative and antisocial attitudes are superior to whatever maturity new forumers display. no matter how constructive a headcrab's post may be, this mentality dictates that he is not to be respected because he posts once every few days rather than ten+ times a day. this alone is a blatant act of immaturity, and i'm surprised so many people have refused to notice such an obvious hypocracy.

Insults describe the way people feel about each other and cannot be deemed useless.
insults are counterproductive. they don't detail specifics of what the issue is, nor do they usually accurately reflect the situation or the people involved. they prevent people from understanding eachother, and mar any productive activity, such as staying on topic in a thread. insults are generally used when people feel that they can no longer / shouldn't bother communicate with the person with whom they're discussing. how calling them stupid or lame gets closer to solving this problem is beyond me.

A combine wouldn't be condesending to a headcrab but if he is he has the right to do so because he is an active member of the community, and has more experiance usually than that of a headcrab.
this ties into the problem with insults. if the headcrab doesn't understand the rules, it isn't the job of the "more experianced" combine to act superior and degrade him, making the issue worse and making the offender even less likely to change their attitude; it's his job to make sure the headcrab understands the issue, and if they continue to act like an ass, then they obviously have no intention of being a productive member of the community.

If someone was to flood ur forum with useless threads wouldn't u want to change that? I would..............duh What a concept!!
i totally agree that threads we've seen four or five times are an issue, and that it degrades the quality of the forums. but how does implimenting a decidedly prejudice rule better the community? you may get rid of the threads that would come from the headcrabs, but you'll still have to deal with the repetetive threads that come from zombies and up, as well as the rude and superior attitudes of some "high-ranking" posters.

post hierarchy is entirely pointless when it comes to online forums. comparing government bodies, where each level of its structure has a purpose to labels on a forum that only reflect number of posts is not a very sound analogy. obviously, by the way numerous "high-ranking" forumers behave, and continue to behave because they have this strange notion that the "don't be rude" rule only applies to headcrabs, status titles here reflect absolutely nothing about the nature of the person's posts, or their attitude toward other people. its original purpose to be a fun little detail has now become some way of classifying people, not even by how long they've been here, but instead by how many times they've posted. wouldn't a person who's been here for six months and has 30 posts be more likely to make sure they're contributing relevant ideas to the thread rather than someone who's been here a month and has 500 posts? not to say that people with high post counts are inherently spamming. there are obviously examples of where this is not the case. the only difference that can reflect post quality is the person themselves, and unless they go through some huge maturation phase as they post more, their personality will not change with their "status".

your "examples" were not compelling. i prefer to go on my own experience of reading most threads that come up. also, if you're going to continue to resort to random insults, then you prove my point further of status being independent of the poster's character.

and it is precisely this kind of attitude, that it's all the headcrabs' fault, that gives zombies and up the idea that their negative and antisocial attitudes are superior to whatever maturity new forumers display. no matter how constructive a headcrab's post may be, this mentality dictates that he is not to be respected because he posts once every few days rather than ten+ times a day. this alone is a blatant act of immaturity, and i'm surprised so many people have refused to notice such an obvious hypocracy.

insults are counterproductive. they don't detail specifics of what the issue is, nor do they usually accurately reflect the situation or the people involved. they prevent people from understanding eachother, and mar any productive activity, such as staying on topic in a thread. insults are generally used when people feel that they can no longer / shouldn't bother communicate with the person with whom they're discussing. how calling them stupid or lame gets closer to solving this problem is beyond me.

this ties into the problem with insults. if the headcrab doesn't understand the rules, it isn't the job of the "more experianced" combine to act superior and degrade him, making the issue worse and making the offender even less likely to change their attitude; it's his job to make sure the headcrab understands the issue, and if they continue to act like an ass, then they obviously have no intention of being a productive member of the community.

i totally agree that threads we've seen four or five times are an issue, and that it degrades the quality of the forums. but how does implimenting a decidedly prejudice rule better the community? you may get rid of the threads that would come from the headcrabs, but you'll still have to deal with the repetetive threads that come from zombies and up, as well as the rude and superior attitudes of some "high-ranking" posters.

Quoting everything i say out of context makes ur arugment that much weaker. Next time either post a link or the entire quote not choice places that editing can help out at.

Anyway

If u the kind of person that doesn't like post count Hiarchy, then u probably think that a school hiarchy is also needless. People are all created equally, yet we have freshman, sophmores, juniors and Seniors.
Your thinks how tottaly useless right? Well no....if u are a upperclassmen
u get more respect etc.

Thats why my 1 weeks probation is great, It allows people that want to join into the community a chance to get with people and observe them. They CAN respond have discussions and etc BUT CANNOT make new threads until the probation is accepted. It will root out all those stupid thread spamming thread baiters from comming in. What the point of flame baiting if u have to wait one week, are u starting to get the picture?

Your also only disagreeing with me because u probably dont like me, inside though u probably agree with most of my suggestions. And no u didnt find my examples convining because u never took the time to read them. Those threads i liked to are rither Full of FLAMES or ABOUT BETA OR DELAY!! All started by the ignorant. Most new headcrabs are looking at this forum and saying wow cool these people are smart i want some info on the DELAY!! They dont even bother reading the damned Sticky's

I do agree though that status means almost nothing after zombie. But at least they have been posting and learned what is right or wrong. Anyway about ur six month example. It wouldn'd be a problem with my idea. You probably are just scimming this right now to nitpick at. So go ahead but u know i am right.

Average Headcrab
Closes counter-strike
Searches google
Finds this site and is like HOLY $#$% Half-Life 2!!!
Sighn up on forums and without paying attention put at thier first thread. IS HALF-LIFE 2 DELAYED?

This is the problem we are faceing. I cannot put it any simpler that than for u. My idea of the 1week probation period would stop this, it would slow down thier pace.
They would be like WTF i cant make a thread!!! Ill go look around..
Whats this........STICKY? Ill read that. It would explain everything to them. They would think something like or well that sucks but this forum isnt ignorant so i think ill stay and just respond in other peoples threads.
They being to learn new things about this community aafter the 1 week then they can post their own threads. Which will be more inventive and less boring to read because they would realise o well no one knows when its comming out so they would make something other than those horrible threads usually made by them. NOW TELL ME THAT DOESNT SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!!:flame: :flame: :flame:

That'd make sense if the zombie post count was around 25-50 rather than 100, but then these boards would be much less popular probably

These boards went downhill the day a bunch of major gaming sights linked the replies from gabe thread.

So basically you're advocating that the traffic on the board fall to neear zero and the boards die away.

My point stands. Some people go out of their way to piss off others and will go to great lengths to do it.

The only way to curb it is with good mods! That's what the moderators are supposed to be there for. To keep the stupidity down to a general level and enforce the rules.

forums aren't perfect, and mods don't want to constantly watch over it. I don't see anything wrong with all the Headcrabs' threads. They are entertaining to read, more than most :)

I disagree. I haven't made any spam or idiotic threads (although I admit, I made some dumb replies in good humor with posters in other threads, but they were sarcasm, not outright idiotism)
The reason you are seeing more "headcrabs" as bad posters is not because of the people, but because of the label itself. A good deal of it is regular posters who have been kicked off the forum, and remade an account, etc. Genuine posters shouldn't be restricted. I mean, look at my register date, for a headcrab. I still wouldn't be able to make a thread, even though mine had productive topics that had SOME discussion before they got derailed by others.

I think that we should not let the higher people reply to threads beacuse all they do is complain about headcrabs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: and just because people are headcrabs and dont post alot dosent mean they dont read alot

Originally posted by coolio2man
If u the kind of person that doesn't like post count Hiarchy, then u probably think that a school hiarchy is also needless. People are all created equally, yet we have freshman, sophmores, juniors and Seniors.
u get more respect etc.

The hierarchy of this forum is not like the hierarchy of an educational establishment, nor does it in any way denote ones intelligence. If you were in school your class status would indicate both the amount of time you have spent in the educational system, and it would imply that you have a certain amount of knowledge (supposedly).

On this forum that would make your registration date, and if possible the amount of time you spend on the boards (browsing and posting) a more applicable tool for measuring one's status than whether they were a headcrab or a prowler. All the system means now is that you spout off your mouth a lot, or you don't. The quality of this spouting is in question.

Originally posted by phoenix
The hierarchy of this forum is not like the hierarchy of an educational establishment, nor does it in any way denote ones intelligence. If you were in school your class status would indicate both the amount of time you have spent in the educational system, and it would imply that you have a certain amount of knowledge (supposedly).

On this forum that would make your registration date, and if possible the amount of time you spend on the boards (browsing and posting) a more applicable tool for measuring one's status than whether they were a headcrab or a prowler. All the system means now is that you spout off your mouth a lot, or you don't. The quality of this spouting is in question.

Nicely put.

Quoting everything i say out of context makes ur arugment that much weaker. Next time either post a link or the entire quote not choice places that editing can help out at.
dude, i didn't edit your post. i went through it by pieces, not responding to some sentences that didn't need responding to. how can i take something out of context by quoting the whole thing? the meaning you conveyed in the entire post is what i responded to, not some little piece that i warped the meaning of. if people doubted that, they could look on the very same page and see your post. are you saying that i shouldn't reply to your posts at all because i might not get what your original meaning is at all? isn't that kind of your fault, too?

u get more respect etc.
o_o school hierarchy is yet another irrelevant example. in school, you learn things specific to your grade, you probably hang out with people in your classes and in your grade, etc. it's entirely different. i don't know where you think i implied that any and all hierarchy is bad, and you putting words in my mouth negates any standing your complaint of me taking your post out of context may have. let's compare this to how the forums are. you register, and make posts, and you get a status determining how many posts you make. you don't get educated with people of your status, you don't hang out only with people of your status, and there is no separation between people with different titles. that's all it is. a title. people that think they should get more respect because they post more, regardless of the content of their posts, are seriously kidding themselves. you get respected by how you act, and that, as i've said so many times before, is not dependent on how long you've been here.

Thats why my 1 weeks probation is great, It allows people that want to join into the community a chance to get with people and observe them. They CAN respond have discussions and etc BUT CANNOT make new threads until the probation is accepted.
your 1 week's probation is not great. it is prejudice. if people think they don't need to learn how things run around here before delving into things, then one of our forum members can politely inform them of the rules should they break them. week-long censorship is a very unwelcoming message to send to new members. this also doesn't stop people from posting assinine replies to threads. have you noticed how many "stfu lame thread" replies there have been by people that are not headcrabs? i think warns and bans are more effective deterrents, which is why i also think we need more moderators.

It will root out all those stupid thread spamming thread baiters from comming in. What the point of flame baiting if u have to wait one week, are u starting to get the picture?
it may stop a few, much in the same way banning everyone from posting would. notice how many quality threads we wouldn't have if such an implimentation was put forth. also, the spamming is not so much a problem anymore, as is the horrible attitude of some community members, who, coincidentally, happen to not be headcrabs. they don't start threads, but their negative impact is still quite apparent, isn't it? like i've said, post quality is not determined by registration date.

Your also only disagreeing with me because u probably dont like me, inside though u probably agree with most of my suggestions.
the only reason i initially responded to your post was because i disagreed. where from this do you get that i don't like you? i don't even know you, just like you don't know me. and if i agreed with your suggestions, then we wouldn't be having this discussion at all, now would we? please don't try to make me seem like some random antagonist when all i did was opened a discussion with you. if you decide to take it personally, then that's your own fault.

And no u didnt find my examples convining because u never took the time to read them. Those threads i liked to are rither Full of FLAMES or ABOUT BETA OR DELAY!! All started by the ignorant. Most new headcrabs are looking at this forum and saying wow cool these people are smart i want some info on the DELAY!! They dont even bother reading the damned Sticky's
i didn't find them convincing because i didn't find them convincing. boy, you sure pulled a massive 180 there. "don't take my posts out of context" while you then decide to draw a plethora of conclusions that have no basis in the conversation. the impression i get from the threads you mention is that they were started by the enthusiastic or careless. yes, they are tiresome to people who've seen similar threads dozens of times. however, i don't agree with how you draw conclusions from some of their statuses as headcrabs as a determining factor for all headcrabs. if these people make threads asking for info on the delay, then we can be considerate, and do something constructive and tell them information, direct them to previous threads, and also remind them that there's a search feature should they want more information. what isn't constructive is insulting their intelligence, driving them off, or turning the thread into an insult-fest where no information is gained, and their opinion of our community is turned into a wholly negative one.
also, if you're so concerned about the stickies, maybe you should read them and note that insults are highly discouraged, should you decide to insult me more in your next reply.

I do agree though that status means almost nothing after zombie. But at least they have been posting and learned what is right or wrong. Anyway about ur six month example. It wouldn'd be a problem with my idea. You probably are just scimming this right now to nitpick at. So go ahead but u know i am right.
yes, precisely. i'm skimming it by quoting it and responding to it in depth. status means nothing at all. so far, all it's been used for is our good friend prejudice. people can make a thousand posts and still not know the rules of the forum, or how to make friendly, informative posts. it's not dependent on the number of posts they've made. the only time it makes a difference is if they were initially grossly misinformed, and were then actually willing to learn the rules and follow them. otherwise, headcrabs are no different than combine. there are some nice ones, some caustic ones, and some ones that don't read threads before replying in them. i mentioned the fact that maturity would most likely not change in a week because it's true. it would be a problem with your idea, because the person has not changed during the week that they've been censored, and if they didn't know the rules, then all it takes is a polite reminder for them to learn them. not a week of discouragement. and please, if you want me to take your arguments seriously any longer, you shouldn't use the logic "i'm right because you know i'm right".

Average Headcrab
Closes counter-strike
Searches google
Finds this site and is like HOLY $#$% Half-Life 2!!!
Sighn up on forums and without paying attention put at thier first thread. IS HALF-LIFE 2 DELAYED?
stereotypes. nice. how is this conducive to bettering the community again? you construct a scenario in your mind that has, if any, no apparent basis in reality or experience, and then apply this logic to every headcrab, regardless of if they even know what counter-strike is. if someone does make such a post, then it's far better to tell them the facts of the situation, and direct them to the search feature. as i've said before, telling them "already talked about u idiot" and completely turning them off from the community, is not productive, nor is inhibitting any posts by headcrabs. that sends the message "we don't care what your thread may be, because we're assuming it to be worthless." the people that would do what you've laid out probably shouldn't be posting on the forums at all. that doesn't mean that any person that wants to sign up should get treated like an idiot just because of one person who might be one.

This is the problem we are faceing. I cannot put it any simpler that than for u. My idea of the 1week probation period would stop this, it would slow down thier pace.
you needn't put it any simpler, because i've meticulously been replying to almost your entire replies, detailing why i don't agree, and giving my reasons. please don't insult my intelligence based on the notion that if i don't agree with you, i must not know what the hell i'm talking about. all i've seen you do, however, is ignore most of my replies, and then either insult me, or repeat the arguments that i gave reasons for their invalidities. i'd be willing to consider your propositions if you could explain to me why it isn't prejudice, why it isn't stereotyping, and why it betters the community, considering my side of the argument. most of the rest of your reply i've already responded to several times above. please see those posts.

Originally posted by phoenix
it's been my observation that some of the most annoying people on any forum have high thread counts.

here's some little thoughts...

Listen a hundred times; ponder a thousand times; speak once.

Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving evidence of the fact.

Wow, well put, that last post you made was nice too.

I don't really get the whole point of this "should headcrabs be allowed to post threads?" business. Some people make stupid threads; you can't stop it. Saying headcrabs can't make threads just delays the inevitable. Once they break headcrab status they can release all that was bottled up.

And making such a rule is not really fair. Sure, many of the "headcrab" threads may be pointless. But what about the headcrab that makes an insightful thread that actually contributes to a discussion? Are you going to deny him the ability to make a thread that he feels is important?

Dougy, what would you do if back in your headcrab days, (not even a month ago), you wanted to make a thread that you feel is important. However someone says "Sorry dude, you're a headcrab. So, just go sit back down and keep quiet." You'd probably be a bit ticked, but I guess since you're an Ant Lion now you don't have to worry about that.

I see your point about all the "useless" threads but if it weren't for all the remarks like "This is stupid","Shut up n00b", or "This is why headcrabs shouldn't be allowed to make threads"; then the thread would die a quick death on the second page.

And set me straight here if I'm wrong but you basically started this thread because you were annoyed about all the other threads that are in your view pointless. I don't know what your parents taught you but mine told me that if something is annoying me and I can't do anything about it, then ignore it. And I have since July, which I think makes this my first post.

My advice; instead of making a little comment for every post you deem pointless. Just hit the back button. If enough people start doing it then the front page will be full of threads and posts that contribute to those threads. And the "pointless", tired redundant threads will fall down the page. I know people will still spam threads, and if they are breaking the rules then hopefully the mods will take care of them.

" A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step."
Give the headcrabs a chance, there are diamonds in the rough.

dude, i didn't edit your post. i went through it by pieces, not responding to some sentences that didn't need responding to. how can i take something out of context by quoting the whole thing? the meaning you conveyed in the entire post is what i responded to, not some little piece that i warped the meaning of. if people doubted that, they could look on the very same page and see your post. are you saying that i shouldn't reply to your posts at all because i might not get what your original meaning is at all? isn't that kind of your fault, too?

o_o school hierarchy is yet another irrelevant example. in school, you learn things specific to your grade, you probably hang out with people in your classes and in your grade, etc. it's entirely different. i don't know where you think i implied that any and all hierarchy is bad, and you putting words in my mouth negates any standing your complaint of me taking your post out of context may have. let's compare this to how the forums are. you register, and make posts, and you get a status determining how many posts you make. you don't get educated with people of your status, you don't hang out only with people of your status, and there is no separation between people with different titles. that's all it is. a title. people that think they should get more respect because they post more, regardless of the content of their posts, are seriously kidding themselves. you get respected by how you act, and that, as i've said so many times before, is not dependent on how long you've been here.

your 1 week's probation is not great. it is prejudice. if people think they don't need to learn how things run around here before delving into things, then one of our forum members can politely inform them of the rules should they break them. week-long censorship is a very unwelcoming message to send to new members. this also doesn't stop people from posting assinine replies to threads. have you noticed how many "stfu lame thread" replies there have been by people that are not headcrabs? i think warns and bans are more effective deterrents, which is why i also think we need more moderators.

it may stop a few, much in the same way banning everyone from posting would. notice how many quality threads we wouldn't have if such an implimentation was put forth. also, the spamming is not so much a problem anymore, as is the horrible attitude of some community members, who, coincidentally, happen to not be headcrabs. they don't start threads, but their negative impact is still quite apparent, isn't it? like i've said, post quality is not determined by registration date.

the only reason i initially responded to your post was because i disagreed. where from this do you get that i don't like you? i don't even know you, just like you don't know me. and if i agreed with your suggestions, then we wouldn't be having this discussion at all, now would we? please don't try to make me seem like some random antagonist when all i did was opened a discussion with you. if you decide to take it personally, then that's your own fault.

i didn't find them convincing because i didn't find them convincing. boy, you sure pulled a massive 180 there. "don't take my posts out of context" while you then decide to draw a plethora of conclusions that have no basis in the conversation. the impression i get from the threads you mention is that they were started by the enthusiastic or careless. yes, they are tiresome to people who've seen similar threads dozens of times. however, i don't agree with how you draw conclusions from some of their statuses as headcrabs as a determining factor for all headcrabs. if these people make threads asking for info on the delay, then we can be considerate, and do something constructive and tell them information, direct them to previous threads, and also remind them that there's a search feature should they want more information. what isn't constructive is insulting their intelligence, driving them off, or turning the thread into an insult-fest where no information is gained, and their opinion of our community is turned into a wholly negative one.
also, if you're so concerned about the stickies, maybe you should read them and note that insults are highly discouraged, should you decide to insult me more in your next reply.

yes, precisely. i'm skimming it by quoting it and responding to it in depth. status means nothing at all. so far, all it's been used for is our good friend prejudice. people can make a thousand posts and still not know the rules of the forum, or how to make friendly, informative posts. it's not dependent on the number of posts they've made. the only time it makes a difference is if they were initially grossly misinformed, and were then actually willing to learn the rules and follow them. otherwise, headcrabs are no different than combine. there are some nice ones, some caustic ones, and some ones that don't read threads before replying in them. i mentioned the fact that maturity would most likely not change in a week because it's true. it would be a problem with your idea, because the person has not changed during the week that they've been censored, and if they didn't know the rules, then all it takes is a polite reminder for them to learn them. not a week of discouragement. and please, if you want me to take your arguments seriously any longer, you shouldn't use the logic "i'm right because you know i'm right".

stereotypes. nice. how is this conducive to bettering the community again? you construct a scenario in your mind that has, if any, no apparent basis in reality or experience, and then apply this logic to every headcrab, regardless of if they even know what counter-strike is. if someone does make such a post, then it's far better to tell them the facts of the situation, and direct them to the search feature. as i've said before, telling them "already talked about u idiot" and completely turning them off from the community, is not productive, nor is inhibitting any posts by headcrabs. that sends the message "we don't care what your thread may be, because we're assuming it to be worthless." the people that would do what you've laid out probably shouldn't be posting on the forums at all. that doesn't mean that any person that wants to sign up should get treated like an idiot just because of one person who might be one.

you needn't put it any simpler, because i've meticulously been replying to almost your entire replies, detailing why i don't agree, and giving my reasons. please don't insult my intelligence based on the notion that if i don't agree with you, i must not know what the hell i'm talking about. all i've seen you do, however, is ignore most of my replies, and then either insult me, or repeat the arguments that i gave reasons for their invalidities. i'd be willing to consider your propositions if you could explain to me why it isn't prejudice, why it isn't stereotyping, and why it betters the community, considering my side of the argument. most of the rest of your reply i've already responded to several times above. please see those posts.

Your completely denounced by the simple fact that, My idea would work while u suggest what? We leave the forums the way they are? This wil really solve the problem at hand. Why don't u come up with a way to solve the problem before u become to critical of others............I will let u ponder on this until tommorow. until then i bid u farewell (Finnaly a intelligent discussion with intelligent people.

Originally posted by Dougy
Should Head crabs be allowed to make threads?

after seeing yet another "valve owe you nothing!, you owe them your LIFE" threads and being labeled a "moron" for not liking valve, ive come to agree with the guy who said Junior patrons sutch as headcrabs should not be allowed to post topics.

not only will this stop the "you owe valve" threads but also the

"i have hl2 and my uncle is gabe"
"will half life run on my nintendo?"
"i hate the HAXOR"
"i hope the beta DL's die of ball cancer"
"a question for gabe"
"valve sucks"
"valve rules"
"spam in here"

threads.

Now i know Discriminating against junior members can be bad cos not all are idiots but the majority are, One forum i regularly visit is TotalWar.org and when you first register you can only post in the basic 1st forum only, and after the moderators see that you arent a knob they give you access to other parts of the forums.

right now any tom dick or harry can sign up in 2 minutes and talk a lot of crap, but by making it so headcrabs cannot post threads i reckon the forum will dramatically improve in all asspects, the flamers and "noobs" will be put off by the "trial" membership and go elsewhere.

of course thats just my opinion.

Any comments?

*please note i used the "valve owe etc." as an example of the threads that i hate and shouldnt be considered as the sole reason i posted*

edit: the grammar bug strikes again.

Are you not the toadpole? You sure have forgotten the fact that you were once a Headcrab. Get a life, man.

Sorry to jump off to the side here but...shouldn't this thread be in the off-topic forum? Seeing how this thread is in the Half-Life 2 forum but isn't really talking about the game. Just how headcrabs apparently make useless threads about half-life 2 in the half-life 2 forum. Sounds off-topic to me.

Of course this thread wouldn't get nearly the amount of exposure in the off-topic forum. Can't have that since we are all on a crusade to abolish the pointless threads.

Edit: Keep in mind Gabe Newell was a headcrab before he was given special status.

Three Headcrabs walk into a bar, one turns to the other... oh shit, wrong forum!

As interesting as this debate is (and I'm being serious; it's got a neat democracy vs. fascism vibe to it), I think it's kind of a moot point. The idea that HC's (I’m a sucker for acronyms [and for parenthesis]) should be "screened" seems to be a response to a rather unique and impermanent situation. HL2 is the hot topic of the moment, and so any watering hole dedicated to it is bound to gather a mass of interested parties for a time. But in a few days (maybe weeks, but soon enough) the whole beta/delay/leak/theft/hack/masquerade ball will become old hat, and the young-uns will move along (I myself might be among those vagrants…). Anyways, the point it, I would give to much thought to the influx of goofy HC posts, my own included; they will fade back into the mists soon enough.

Your completely denounced by the simple fact that, My idea would work while u suggest what? We leave the forums the way they are? This wil really solve the problem at hand. Why don't u come up with a way to solve the problem before u become to critical of others............I will let u ponder on this until tommorow. until then i bid u farewell (Finnaly a intelligent discussion with intelligent people.
yes, leave the forums themselves the way they are. what needs to change is the attitude some of community members have, though there's been a big increase of less insult-eager people coming here lately, so :thumbs: to that. threads used to be mostly insults, and few contributions, but now it's the other way around, though there seem to always be three or four people who just *have* to make sure a newbie 'knows their place'. those are the people that need to change, and oddly enough, most of them are not headcrabs. i'd suggest cracking down on making sure discussions stay above the insulting stage.

and unless you can convince me that my arguments are incorrect, i won't consider your idea a solution to the problem, and you can only do that by responding to my reasons. i've posted numerous examples of responses that would be better than what are sometimes seen, e.g. you see the umpteenth "is hl2 delayed?" thread; you realise that insulting the poster and therefore bumping the thread sets you both back and perpetuates the duplicate thread issue; you instead either ignore the thread, or, even better, answer the person's question, and let them know of the search function so they can get more information from previous discussions; unless they're malicious, they probably start using it and the problem is solved, and you have another contributing member on the forums :)

Look, I'm not going to say why this is a dumb idea, since at least fifty others have already covered it. But what I will say is that the only reasonable and easy solution to eliminate ignorance on this board would be to simply recruit more mods and have them suspend/ban accounts without warning (or IPs if necessary).

By creating this thread, someone is just asking for a BAN!!!

…lets quote
I'll keep this brief, basically there has been a influx of offensive, insulting users who spend their time posting crap and insulting others.

Every now and then we'll see a thread that's been made before and the first three replies will be along the lines of "stfu noob", "use the search button dumbass" or "yawn, old news - go away".

We're fed up with it and I'm fed up with decent community members contacting me about it. People here just want to be part of a close, friendly community and we don't want others spoiling that.

So from now on anyone who posts anything insulting / offensive when there's no need, especially at the start of new threads will be banned without warning.

A little nazi? You brought it upon yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back