SimCity 5 Announcement

Stylo

The Freeman
Reaction score
I just searched for a thread about this and found zilch. Why is there no thread about this?

So like. I loved playing SC as a young sprocket and up until fairly recently, still played SC4.
What do we think, children?

GDC said:
Maxis SVP Lucy Bradshaw confirmed the new 3D instalment will release on PC in 2013.

Called just 'SimCity', the game is driven by Maxis' new engine, GlassBox, which it says "powers each simulation with real integrity in order to capture the world we live in today".

The game is described as "a true rebirth of the franchise that brings the depth of simulation that has been the series hallmark for more than two decades and marries it with next generation accessibility and a robust multiplayer mode, giving players the power to change a world together."

Trailer video put up on March 5th:

Frankly, a little bit of poo came out when I heard. Hoping Maxis will deliver on this and not disappoint us.

Full GDC article

[Insert Llama Reference Here]

"Auto-zoom, click, auto-zoom, click, auto-zoom, click...." Jesus, that was annoying.

This is looking to be the most complicated Sim City yet. I'm all for that. I hope they aren't sticking to that art style though.

True story - I have never played a Sims game of any sort. Watched my girlfriend play the Sims 3 though, seems like some quirky fun I guess.

This has nothing to do with the Sims.
Totally thought The Sims/Sim City/MySims were all kinda the same thing with different gameplay styles and whatnot. Like I said, never tried anything like this :x

EDIT: Vegeta misinterpreted because I cannot spell.

The Sims/Sim City/MySims were all kinda the same thing with different gameplay styles and whatnot.
No.

Just no. Sim City is a city building game and The Sims is like a life simulator on a household level. Just because the Sims is based off of the Sim City universe, that means **** all. The only thing they have in common is that you have an overhead view and you don't want to run out of money. It would be like saying a WW2 FPS and WW2 RTS are "basically the same game with different gameplay styles" No. Modern Warfare 3 and Call of Duty 4 are basically the same game with different gameplay styles.

Well then, your typo made me misinterpret your entire post.

NEVERMIND THEN

I was so anal about my cities that I usually ended up building on a super flat world. I would then build too quickly and run out of money. I of course gave up, cheated, and just destroyed cities for fun.

Sim Tower was where it was at.

Gotta love non-gameplay trailers :/
Yeah, I do love how they left it till right near the end of the video to display the small text at the bottom about it not representing actual Gameplay. But then it was only announced this month, so I guess we have to sit tight until we can see more.

Look very cool, but damn, if every little thing is really simulated like that, how on earth would a CPU keep up with a huge metropolis? Doesn't seem even remotely feasible beyond the smallest of towns.

Look very cool, but damn, if every little thing is really simulated like that, how on earth would a CPU keep up with a huge metropolis? Doesn't seem even remotely feasible beyond the smallest of towns.

Great question, perhaps they're actually optimizing it for multi-core CPUs... or maybe offloading to the GPU?

Also, please don't be Origin exclusive.

Oh ****, I forgot about this. God I hope not.

The simulation model looks very complex. Fascinating.

Iso town!

Meh, used to play simcity 2000 when it came out (in the 90ties), but what I'd really like to see is a remake of Transport Tycoon.

Oh, thanks EA for giving me all the motive I need to pirate your new game. Thumbs up you're the best.

Thanks for shoving a sword further down Maxis's throat. **** you, EA.

Maxis should start a "Donations" thing on their site. I'd gladly pirate the game and give them the money. **** EA.

What the actual f*ck? Are EA actually serious? If they do this, they don't care about gamers.

It's ****ing incredible. If ever there was a reason to install origin...

Maxis perfected SC.

So yeah.. I've played the "hour" long beta about 5 times today. It's a pretty disgustingly awesome game.

With that said, I don't see the huge deal about always on games especially when I can assure you that everyone in this thread is nearly 100% online always..... so.... yeah. I wouldn't call that a reason to not get this game.

Also, my town was overtaken by zombies. I could not ward off their attack. :(

With that said, I don't see the huge deal about always on games especially when I can assure you that everyone in this thread is nearly 100% online always..... so.... yeah. I wouldn't call that a reason to not get this game.
That's not the problem people have with always online. (for the most part)
The problem is that the game relies on EA's servers to run. It's going to suck when the servers can't handle the load, or go offline (look at the Diablo 3 frustrations). Also, how long will this be supported? All other SimCity games will be playable forever because there is no reliance on EA's servers. And this isn't like some MMO where when the servers go down it won't be worth playing anymore anyway, since nobody's there to play with. SC can definitely be enjoyed by yourself (that's how it has been this entire time until these new multiplayer features, which I am indeed excited about)

On the bright side this game won't be piratable, but I'm not happy about relying on EA to play the game, as they're the least liked game company in the world, and **** if I trust them to provide some kind of solution for when they inevitably stop supporting the game. (this is how they will get you to buy the next SC)

I still like returning to SC4, and that was released 10 years ago. Do you think EA is still going to support the new SC 10 years from now?

I want the hell out of this game, but I really don't like supporting these kinds of practices.

The problem is that the game relies on EA's servers to run. It's going to suck when the servers can't handle the load, or go offline (look at the Diablo 3 frustrations). Also, how long will this be supported? All other SimCity games will be playable forever because there is no reliance on EA's servers. And this isn't like some MMO where when the servers go down it won't be worth playing anymore anyway, since nobody's there to play with. SC can definitely be enjoyed by yourself (that's how it has been this entire time until these new multiplayer features, which I am indeed excited about)

I still like returning to SC4, and that was released 10 years ago. Do you think EA is still going to support the new SC 10 years from now?

I want the hell out of this game, but I really don't like supporting these kinds of practices.
EKE. You're right. I totally forgot about how it's all in EA's hands... I'm extremely excited to play this, too.

I'm not sure, but I think what a lot of companies are doing now is trying to put out stuff and hope you eventually forget about it. I mean if you look at where technology is going, it's essentially throw away. I mean look at any mobile OS (iOS, Android, WP8, etc), you have a billion games on there that mimic each other that you end up forgetting about after a couple months. I wonder if that's what's infecting the logic of developing companies such as EA (well, they sucked to begin with), but it's a question on me mind.

Anyway, getting back to losing the servers forever, there's a part of me that sees this game as 1 of 2 things.

1) EA is trying to go throw away. They'll build this game for a year and unleash 10 million DLCs, and then they'll unleash another game next year about this time...

2) They'll see this game as groundwork. Then on their next release, they MIGHT release the game with singleplayer and call it a brand new feature. I can also see them patching the game after a couple months to add singleplayer mode.

Why don't companies understand like Valve? :l

I wish Valve had just bought the rights to SimCity from EA.

On the bright side this game won't be piratable, but I'm not happy about relying on EA to play the game, as they're the least liked game company in the world, and **** if I trust them to provide some kind of solution for when they inevitably stop supporting the game. (this is how they will get you to buy the next SC)

Ten years? When they eventually stop supporting the game you find the community patch that fixes that.

Ten years? When they eventually stop supporting the game you find the community patch that fixes that.
It won't be possible for a 'community patch', let alone pirates, to crack this game. Their servers provide part of the simulation. Emulating that would be for all intents and purposes impossible.

And what problem do you have with ten years? There are several games older than 10 years that I still enjoy playing. Why wouldn't SC be on that list 10 years from now? It looks to be a game with tons of replayability, just like all SC games.

It won't be possible for a 'community patch', let alone pirates, to crack this game. Their servers provide part of the simulation. Emulating that would be for all intents and purposes impossible.
People can build server emulators. World of Warcraft pirate servers exist.

lol

FFS. Check yesterday when the beta keys went out and I had no emails. Check today and I had an email with a key which had arrived after I had checked and the beta has already ended. Really wanted to play this :(

Emulating that would be for all intents and purposes impossible.
They emulate entire consoles already, I doubt this will stop pirates.

I'm certainly not buying this because I don't want EA to think its ok to do what they've done, and have them do it with more games. It sucks though, because Maxis is the one who will take the biggest hit from this decision, and its very possible they'll go belly up.

Maxis is the one who will take the biggest hit from this decision, and its very possible they'll go belly up.

What evidence do you have of that, Krynn? Bullocks alarm.

People can build server emulators. World of Warcraft pirate servers exist.
That's quite an old game. I have to think that Sim City's protection is far more sophisticated.
They emulate entire consoles already, I doubt this will stop pirates.
A console is something people have in front of them that they can reverse engineer. It's not so easy when it's a remote server run by EA. It's like a black box.

As I understand it Diablo 3 has similar anti-piracy measures, and people have yet to create a working game. They've 'cracked' it, but the game is simply broken without the serverside emulation.

I'd be happy to eat my words if people manage to emulate it, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Back