SimCity 5 Announcement

What evidence do you have of that, Krynn? Bullocks alarm.
If people don't buy this game, who is it going to hurt more? EA or Maxis? Admittedly, the Sims games will probably keep them afloat, as long as EA is cool with it. If EA looks at the sales, and thinks Maxis has lost their touch as a result, then they're not going to exist much longer. Its happened before.

If people don't buy this game, who is it going to hurt more? EA or Maxis? Admittedly, the Sims games will probably keep them afloat, as long as EA is cool with it. If EA looks at the sales, and thinks Maxis has lost their touch as a result, then they're not going to exist much longer. Its happened before.

This game will be immensely profitable. It already is in pre-sales. It will do for Origin what Half-Life 2 did for Steam.

It will do for Origin what Half-Life 2 did for Steam.
If you mean make a lot of people use it to play the game, then yes. But that's not very significant. I certainly don't use Steam just as a method of playing my games. EA will have to work very hard to make Origin as popular in a real sense of the word as Steam is. That's not just about what people are forced to use to access their games.

To be fair, when HL2 was released Steam lacked a lot of the extra features that make it truly worthwhile. Chat was awful, crashes, no Community, etc. If EA are planning on putting the slightest effort into really vamping up their service, which I think is unlikely, SimCity could be the thing that really makes Origin big. BF3 was supposed to be that, but Battlelog really got in the way, and BF3 snubbed the PC community in a sense (you all know why :arms: ).

That's what I'm saying though, a game alone isn't going to make Origin successful. SC is a good opportunity, but it's not the whole solution.

Oh yeah, I chose the exact worst point to start skimming your reply, sorry :V

vWNl0XX.png
Sorry, what?

I'm certainly not buying this because I don't want EA to think its ok to do what they've done, and have them do it with more games. It sucks though, because Maxis is the one who will take the biggest hit from this decision, and its very possible they'll go belly up.

You honestly think Maxis will go belly up as long as they're making main Sims games? You have to be joking. EA's biggest cash cow right there. While EA's decision to make the game always online and all that other bullshit is totally stupid, I feel like boycotting the game will solve nothing, as EA have always made bad game decisions and will continue to do so whether or not you buy SimCity.

Play the game to enjoy it and get a balanced understanding of both sides of the argument, then make your voice heard if you still disagree with it. Hopefully John Riccitiello ****s off and takes the rest of his demonic lords with him at some point so the company can get back to doing what it should be - making good games which don't piss people off.

So ignoring what everyone else has posted, I have a different question. If I were to sign onto another computer to try and play SimCity, I'm assuming I can jump into Origin, and SimCity will load my current game since it's located on a server. Is that correct?

I think in that sense, it's quite logical to have it placed on a server (along with other reasons), but if not, then maybe I'm crazy and mistaken for thinking that should be possibly.

Yes, that's the advantage they're boasting about having everything on the cloud. I don't get why it can't be optional, though.

Yes, that's the advantage they're boasting about having everything on the cloud. I don't get why it can't be optional, though.

Good. Glad that's functioning (like it should be...).

I'm not sure why either. It should be as simple as....

Create New Game:
  • Local - Stored on your computer and can be played offline or on. Can't be played with friends.
  • Online - Stored on our servers and accessible anywhere. Cannot be played offline.
Wow. Look at that! 2 options with descriptions that are both pro and con! I think an average person can freaking understand that. :l

We've had options like that for the past 15 ****ing years and look where we are today, apparently dumbing shit down and giving us absolutely no options at all.

Edit:

Anyone else thinking seriously about preordering the $80 game from Origin? :l I hate to say it, but having the French, German, and British stuff would be awesome. :l

This game will be immensely profitable. It already is in pre-sales. It will do for Origin what Half-Life 2 did for Steam.
What Half-Life 2 did for Steam? Because what Half-Life 2 did for Steam for me was make me absolutely hate it.

Yep, clearly that is honestly what I think.

I know what you meant, and I read your post. I was just reiterating what you just quoted, that SimCity will do literally nothing to Maxis if it doesn't sell. :p

It made you use it.
Origin already has Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 for that. I know Sim City will attract a different market for those but if they really want to bring in the numbers what they need to do is make the Sims 4 an Origin exclusive.

Good. Glad that's functioning (like it should be...).

I'm not sure why either. It should be as simple as....

Create New Game:
  • Local - Stored on your computer and can be played offline or on. Can't be played with friends.
  • Online - Stored on our servers and accessible anywhere. Cannot be played offline.
There's not even any need to make them options. Do what Steam Cloud does: Store them locally and online. Witchcraft!

It made you use it.
Right, and we can keep using it. At the time of Steam's launch it was the only game in town, so people latched on because it was providing something nobody else was, at least not in quite the same way, and now it's still around providing an infinitely better service than Origin. EA are going to need more than a few hot exclusives to make people actually use the thing outside of having it open while the game launches.

I know what you meant, and I read your post. I was just reiterating what you just quoted, that SimCity will do literally nothing to Maxis if it doesn't sell. :p
Well, perhaps it will make them lose some respect for themselves as game designers.
Right, and we can keep using it. At the time of Steam's launch it was the only game in town, so people latched on because it was providing something nobody else was, at least not in quite the same way, and now it's still around providing an infinitely better service than Origin. EA are going to need more than a few hot exclusives to make people actually use the thing outside of having it open while the game launches.
Hey that's exactly what I said!

Well, perhaps it will make them lose some respect for themselves as game designers.
But that kind of design decision stinks of EA's corporate bullshit moreso than the game designers themselves.

But being EAs bitchboys will make them feel bad. Dying on the inside and all that.

It's going to, and is, working. Financially and in terms of growth goals. Mass Effect 3 was a huuuge contributor to casual gamers running origin when their windows boots. Then boom - ads for AAA titles and a two click store front. :p

What goes through the heads of developers who make software like Origin? I have to wonder... is this a visionary program, or one that is demanded by board members?

I mean, do people even like origin? Or is it just a necessary evil? I know personally I really like Steam. Sure, it's necessary, but I enjoy it. I feel like the developers are visionaries and have a true love for their program and its evolution.

Origin just feels like a bunch of board members sat together and decided that they need a sales platform like Steam to stay competitive.

What goes through the heads of developers who make software like Origin? I have to wonder... is this a visionary program, or one that is demanded by board members?

I mean, do people even like origin? Or is it just a necessary evil? I know personally I really like Steam. Sure, it's necessary, but I enjoy it. I feel like the developers are visionaries and have a true love for their program and its evolution.

Origin just feels like a bunch of board members sat together and decided that they need a sales platform like Steam to stay competitive.
When it comes to Origin, you hit the nail on the head with how it feels. Steam feels like they just keep baking me fresh cookies. Origin feels like they're monkeys throwing shit ( :poop: ) at me.

I've never had a major issue with Origin. It's got a clean interface and the basic features in-tact. Not a fan of the taxation though, I wonder why it's necessary there but not on Steam.

Does it have to be with Valve being a privately owned company and EA being traded on NASDAQ?

Bit of a tangent from where this thread has reached, but.... I'm a bit pissed.
With all this talk of the new SimCity, I reinstalled SC4.... and it crashes my rig. Every time. I get about 30 mins of play, then it dies on me. And I mean the whole computer, not just the game. The whole thing just shuts down to a black screen. What the hell!? Anyone know what this could be? The only thing that has changed on my rig in recent times is a new mobo/processor (i5). Is this one of those games that doesn't like multi-cores?

With all this talk of the new SimCity, I reinstalled SC4.... and it crashes my rig. Every time. I get about 30 mins of play, then it dies on me. And I mean the whole computer, not just the game. The whole thing just shuts down to a black screen. What the hell!? Anyone know what this could be? The only thing that has changed on my rig in recent times is a new mobo/processor (i5). Is this one of those games that doesn't like multi-cores?

I have a quad core i5 and have no trouble running SC4.

Do a bit of googling and you'll find some tweaks you might have to make.

I didn't have to do anything, but a lot of people apparently do.

Do a bit of googling and you'll find some tweaks you might have to make.

I didn't have to do anything, but a lot of people apparently do.
Yeah, posting here was more of a knee-jerk reaction rather than actually searching myself (I can be quite bad for that sometimes... being a lazy fecker probably doesn't help). Not really been gaming much the last few days, even though steam is running all the time. I'll try some of the tweaks tomorrow when I'm more awake.

Googled. Found. Applied.
Turns out my problem was, indeed, SC4 disliking my multicore. Shoved ' -CPUcount:1' into the command line and it runs fine now.
Cheers Vegeta. I'm such a lazy arse, it took a kick to get me to do something.
Now please excuse me, there are matters arising in Boobiesville...

This comes out next week! :D Also, apparently another closed beta is happening tonight from 5 PST to 9 PST with the full game completely unlocked so they can stress test their servers as hard as possible.

This comes out next week! :D Also, apparently another closed beta is happening tonight from 5 PST to 9 PST with the full game completely unlocked so they can stress test their servers as hard as possible.
I hope you're not trolling, Shamrock. How do you get into the closed beta? I was involved in Beta 2 for pre-ordering on Amazon.

I hope you're not trolling, Shamrock. How do you get into the closed beta? I was involved in Beta 2 for pre-ordering on Amazon.
I would never troll.... :)

Also, yeah what SpiderHeadCrab said. A few users on the Anandtech forums are claiming to have received that. Sadly, I wasn't a chosen member this time. :(

Anyway, what did you guys preorder! D:

Back