Sins of a Solar Empire!

For those who have bought it etc(Is the final version out? Has no clue), is the AI good etc? And can you set up AI vs AI matches if you're bored?:p

For those who have bought it etc(Is the final version out? Has no clue), is the AI good etc? And can you set up AI vs AI matches if you're bored?:p

Havent played enough to know if the AI is good but you can set up AI vs AI matches.

Schweet, maybe I'll buy it then.(Yes I'm a freak, I'm willing to spend 50 bucks on a game I wont actually PLAY myself.. I need help.:()

Schweet, maybe I'll buy it then.(Yes I'm a freak, I'm willing to spend 50 bucks on a game I wont actually PLAY myself.. I need help.:()

If you want, you could ask the question on the official forums? You would get a better response.

Hmm, I was going to get this, but I looked up some videos of the gameplay and was not impressed.

I loved homeworld, and love 3d space combat, but hate 4x games. It looks like they removed the 3D aspect of homeworld, and made the ships mostly static, that is, only the fighters are capable of moving in 3d space.

I think I'll stick with the PDS mod for homeworld 2:
Compare sins of a Solar Empire combat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIOKKkh_5TI

Ships move in and stay in huge blocks, then sit still and fire statically at everything. There is no attempt to evade fire, no moving along the Z-axis, no circling.

To PDS for Homeworld 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtWn1aKGWkI

Ships (except for the biggest battleships) move and more importantly rotate along all 3 axises, avoid fire, shoot down missiles, and track and kill multiple targets.

I bought it(digital download only version, since I didn't have the extra 10 bucks or so for the digital + hard copy). Going to see how I enjoy it. Hope I don't regret it!

If anyone wants to play online with me, add me to your Ironclad Online friends list. My account name is "Soupstorm".

I dunno if anyone pointed out yet that the guys behind Homeworld CATACLYSM made this game, not the guys behind Homeworld 1+2, just so everyone knows.:p

HunterSeeker, well, if you want "Empire-building"; you're better off getting say the Space Empires series, which are far more detailed than SoSE..
IMO, the selling point of SoSE was that it was gonna be 'Homeworld' merged with 4x.

That sucks. :|

Homeworld was simple enough to control, I don't see how a few political and economical additions can hinder the 3D control?

Seriously though, how many people actually used the 3D space effectively?

I managed to complete the game almost using no 3D movement (a few exceptions where there were 3D specific missions)

Seriously though, how many people actually used the 3D space effectively?

I managed to complete the game almost using no 3D movement (a few exceptions where there were 3D specific missions)

Multiplayer.

Repost from my topic on the SoaSE forums.

I have taken the time to go in and edit the manual included with the game in the install directory, and augment it so that it includes hyperlinks for navigation within the PDF, as well as bookmarks for more structured navigation.

It really makes navigating the document a breeze, as you can go to the table of contents and merely click where you want to go, and it will take you there. Once you are at your destination, you can click a main title header to navigate back to the table of contents. In addition of course I've added bookmarks that are structured in exactly the same way the table of contents is, for another way of navigating through the document.

I hope people will find this useful. Link follows.

http://files.filefront.com/manualpdf/;9577508;/fileinfo.html

Repost from my topic on the SoaSE forums.

I have taken the time to go in and edit the manual included with the game in the install directory, and augment it so that it includes hyperlinks for navigation within the PDF, as well as bookmarks for more structured navigation.

It really makes navigating the document a breeze, as you can go to the table of contents and merely click where you want to go, and it will take you there. Once you are at your destination, you can click a main title header to navigate back to the table of contents. In addition of course I've added bookmarks that are structured in exactly the same way the table of contents is, for another way of navigating through the document.

I hope people will find this useful. Link follows.

http://files.filefront.com/manualpdf/;9577508;/fileinfo.html

Wow thanks, that must of taken some time.

But I can't wait untll I get my hard copy in the post soon :naughty:

Anyone with the game, can they confirm combat is as stale as shown in the video posted higher up on this page?

Anyone with the game, can they confirm combat is as stale as shown in the video posted higher up on this page?

Well, it is like in the video because it is the gameplay. The fighters are the only ones that move around on their own flying around and attacking their target(s). The other ships stop and fire their volleys, which is frankly annoying to me too, but if you wanted them to move you can manually tell them to move and I think they'll move while engaging targets. At least the capital ships do as I tested it.

I'm sure it won't bother me that much in the long run, but we'll see.

Oh, and I will have to try that homeworld mod. I have homeworld 2 but never touched it.

I own it, as of now, but I can't play until the weekend. Is multiplayer on it the full empire-building and such? We might want to get a game going... XD
I'll also be getting the boxed copy, so yay for limited edition stuffs!

Also, I prefer Stardock to Steam.. it has a lot more things, albeit a lack of a community and such. But it does have a browser in it, plus it tends to fail less often than Steam. :p

I own it, as of now, but I can't play until the weekend. Is multiplayer on it the full empire-building and such? We might want to get a game going... XD
I'll also be getting the boxed copy, so yay for limited edition stuffs!

Also, I prefer Stardock to Steam.. it has a lot more things, albeit a lack of a community and such. But it does have a browser in it, plus it tends to fail less often than Steam. :p

So far it's you, Stigmata, Nabobalis and me who have the game that I know of. We really should get a game started.

Though I still don't know much how to play yet. I'm more of a cooperative play kind of person, teaming up with friends going against artificial intelligence, but with this game I will be willing to play against other players if that's what we want to do.

I'd say it would be more like 'LOL let's be friends!'
'okay!'
Then when he's not looking, you raep him in the arse.
Diplomacy roolz!

RoflWofl.
P.s. OKAY STIGGY! I'M GOING TO GO BUILD SOMETHIN ON THAT ASTEROID OVER THAR. LEMME BEND OVER...

Oh, and I will have to try that homeworld mod. I have homeworld 2 but never touched it.

If you do, download one of the older versions. Anything between 5.9 and 7.0 is pretty good.

You see, the mod's development was driven by roleplay on the forums and discussion about ongoing technological improvements. So older versions represent older technologies on the ships like missiles and guns. After a while, the ranges of the ships got absurdly long, missiles and guns were abandoned altogether, and it became very boring. 7.0 represents the version of the mod where they were just making the transition from guns and missiles into full energy weapons, and its also the version where they removed all engine trails. Everything after 7.0 focuses on single ship-to-ship combat and is very boring.

That sounds like a bizarre development process!

We need to have a poll of who actually owns this game, and is interested in playing with fellow HL2.net players.

It'd be cool if you could say if you have the game, as well as to describe your personal playing preferences, whether it be vs players, or vs AI in a cooperative environment.

I told Stigmata that I thought it'd be cool if we could start off with a cooperative gameplay mode for all of us, against the AI. This way we could all talk and chat and enjoy learning the game in a less than competitive environment.

What would make it even more amazing is if we were all in ventrilo or teamspeak and communicating to each other via that program. Makes it easier to explain things if somebody doesn't know what to do, and also just to have a good time and coordinate attacks and defense.

But first we gotta know who wants to play and owns the game!

I'm planning on getting it, just haven't got around to it yet

Well, I got the game, I still need to get used to it. Also, I really like Raziaar's idea.

Same. Tomorrow we could try doing a couple skirmishes to get a feel for the game if anyone wants to, and then Friday (once Acepilot has his copy) we can start a big Hl2.net-vs-AI match :D

Really, I have it now, it's just crappy laptop with onboard video card won't be able to play it for shit. Get to my gaming computer, and I'm set. I'll be on it at approx. 6pm pacific time. And all day saturday. XD I'll be reading the guide vigorously. The one one of you posted, I think? Meh.

I like the sound of that Idea too. Still need to get a feel for it.

I will gladly play with fellow HL2.net players.

So, question: Is it any good?

I had a generalised look around and it looked pretty cool, but I figured I should ask you guys first. Cos you're actually playing it and whatnot.

So, question: Is it any good?

I had a generalised look around and it looked pretty cool, but I figured I should ask you guys first. Cos you're actually playing it and whatnot.

Well I enjoyed it in the beta stages, I have not had much time to play the final version. But the demo will be out in a month so you can have a look.

Plus 1.02 is coming out hopefully this week.

The game is ridiculously enormous. You're controlling hundreds or even thousands of ships across maps that can consist of a dozen stars and more than fifty planets, with each planet having its own individual civil and military infrastructure, and an over-arching empire to manage. As much as I loved the Z-axis in Homeworld, 3D controls would honestly be too much in a game this big.

To be fair though, thats nothing, afterall if you create a fleet, they pratically manage themselves. Though I wish they would target planet destroyers before any other ship.

The most annoying aspect of the game though is the comms network facility, which affects a planets alligiance level.
Planets are also annoyingly timid, in all past games that I played (Imperium Galactica, Legions of Iron, even the grande olde' Ascendency) planets could hold their own

The pirate ability also felt broken. Afterall half the time I didn't know if they were attacking my enemy.

has anyone got it through the digital download through the site?

I'm wondering if I should but I don't necessarily want to be tied down by another steam clone

I bought it through Stardock. All the Stardock client does is validate your Stardock/Totalgaming.net account before downloading the game. Once it's on your computer, you can run it without ever using the client program. The only other time you'll ever have to load up Stardock is if a patch or update was released for the game.

It's like torrenting the game, except it's legal.

I bought it through Stardock. All the Stardock client does is validate your Stardock/Totalgaming.net account before downloading the game. Once it's on your computer, you can run it without ever using the client program. The only other time you'll ever have to load up Stardock is if a patch or update was released for the game.

It's like torrenting the game, except it's legal.

It is a nice system. I really like it. Still want the new patch. Been playing a skirmish with 4 normal AI and its going alright.

has anyone got it through the digital download through the site?

I'm wondering if I should but I don't necessarily want to be tied down by another steam clone

I have the digital download for both Galactic Civilization 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire. Stardock really is a great company, and their service is as reliable as Steam.

I'm currently in a huge singleplayer game. 10 total factions, team lock disabled so that alliances can be made and broken all the time. There's quite a few stars and over 60 planets. It's interesting going so far! I have a lot of AI giving me missions to attack an AI near me, and i'm getting resources from them for doing that, as well as improving standing with them, which is pretty cool.

It's kind of annoying that they demand missions so often from you though, so you constantly get the voice over that they're asking for a mission.

I have the digital download for both Galactic Civilization 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire. Stardock really is a great company, and their service is as reliable as Steam.

I'm currently in a huge singleplayer game. 10 total factions, team lock disabled so that alliances can be made and broken all the time. There's quite a few stars and over 60 planets. It's interesting going so far! I have a lot of AI giving me missions to attack an AI near me, and i'm getting resources from them for doing that, as well as improving standing with them, which is pretty cool.

It's kind of annoying that they demand missions so often from you though, so you constantly get the voice over that they're asking for a mission.

Yeah the missions are stupid really. Some times they can be impossible too. But what I hate is the strange placement of players on a map. Everyone gets put into the same system if there are multiple systems. I mean why not one per person or something?

Back