Skyrim to use Steam Workshop; Steam on the smartphone one step closer

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
skyrim_steam-workshop.png
</img>​
Now this is pretty cool.
[br]
In a blog update on the Bethesda developer website, it was revealed that Skyrim will be using Steam's Workshop in a future update. Part of the Creation Kit (Bethesda's SDK), the Workshop integration will allow users to browse and download a community mod from your PC or Mac.
[br]
You'll also be able to flag a mod for download from your smartphone. It's a small feature, but what's intriguing to me is that if the interface is primarily using the Steam API, this will be the first real world Steam/smartphone application implementation.
[br]
To jog your memory, a few months ago Podcast 17 interviewed Gabe Newell and a Valve programmer by the name of Kutta Srinivasan. Kutta was actually doing some work in the mobile space at the time... Gabe @ 12:36 in the interview says "Steam features will show up on the mobile first, and then later you will see us building games for mobile platforms." So, this is probably going to be the first step in that direction.
[br]
We can look forward to seeing some cool stuff coming to mobile from Valve.

This sounds awesome. Looking forward to it!

You can use steam chat on your phone with imo.im i think.

I'm pretty sure that Steam Chat cannot be used on smartphones as of yet.

That's great. I love the workshop. I hope Bethesda treat their fans who make content as well as Valve do.

Any ETA on an android app?

I like it, but I'm not convinced it's necessarily GOTY. It's huge, and it's building on the good work that Bethesda did with Fallout 3 but there's still a high level of jankiness running through it.

Back