So apparently Rage is out tomorrow.

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
So it's monday today.

Rage is out on tuesday. It is out on friday in the UK (personally pre-loading now from Steam with their awesome download speeds).

I have to confess, I am very, very surprised at id Software. Where is the advertising? Ive seen a few websites with a Rage advert that takes up the background. And I saw the first Rage trailer on TV (UK) this weekend when Xmen Origins Wolverine was on, but that was almost immediately followed by a *vomits* Gears 3 ad, AND another advert I cant remember in the same advert slot, leading me to believe that it was entirely focused on that period because of the age group stereotype that would be watching Wolverine. Like playing game ads when the Superbowl is on.

Rage for the past few months has hardly broken through the top 20 on Amazon pre-orders. As of this weekend though, it is number 4 for the PC and not in the top 10 for the consoles. Thats for the UK website.

Is it the same in the US? I've been kind of looking forward to Rage, this is id after all, but I dont think it's a GOTY winner. Contender yes. Winner of awards yes. Too many arguably better games coming though before the end of the year.

Gunna be mediocre, maybe thats why people aren't going crazy about it?

lol, I thought this game was still months away.

My expectations are very low. The game feels just like an ordinary action shooter in a post-atomic environment.

Gonna be better than Space Marine more than likely, Ill buy it

I can't really see anything new in it but I guess the gameplay will be solid and the amount of content should be large. Not worth the full price to me, though.

Dynasty, would you be interested in playing the co-op with me? I am looking for co-op partners and having trouble finding any.:p

Id's previous game titles* have all been wonderful in my opinion, such that I'll be purchasing Rage no-questions-asked. Like Valve, their games don't ship with bugs**, are fun to play, don't suffer from consolitis, look good, have reasonable DRM, etc., right out of the box on day one.

Gargantou, I'm down, but I won't be able to play for a while (I'll be on a business trip all next week, am going camping on the weekend, and want to play through the single-player campaign at least twice before going for multiplayer).

*...specifically their work in Doom and Quake, I don't think I've played any of their other stuff?
**I've heard of bugs, and obviously there are patches, but I've never seen nor heard of them.

It isn't going to be a world beater, and I can't see it being a Game of the Year candidate, id Software haven't really made one of those for quite a while (Quake 3 anyone?), it was telling during the 'Celebrating 20 Years of id Software' conference at the Eurogamer Expo how far they have fallen. In an opening video montage, everyone was asked to cheer for their favourite game, everything up to Doom 3 got a cheer, Doom 3 got a muted response. Then they just skipped over Quake Wars, Quake 4, Quake Live and the other thing they made.

Anyway, I did play Rage at the Expo and I got some thoughts typed up - http://www.thereticule.com/rage-hands-on-preview/

Well, it has John Goodman in the trailer. That's kind of awesome.

shit game is shit
id soft is dead
also it's 60 bucks

Then they just skipped over Quake Wars, Quake 4, Quake Live and the other thing they made.

They didn't make Quake Wars or Quake 4, that was Splash Damage and Raven respectively. And I doubt they'd be likely to brag about a free-to-play version of an existing game they already showed. :p

Gave your preview a click-through (you terrible opportunist you), nice if a little short, but you probably didn't get a whole lot of time with it. Not really sure what to make of the game, it looks like an alright bit of fun, but as with other things I'll have to give it a pass (until later, at least), the next few months being over-crowded with gaming goodness as they are.

They didn't make Quake Wars or Quake 4, that was Splash Damage and Raven respectively. And I doubt they'd be likely to brag about a free-to-play version of an existing game they already showed. :p

True enough :p but you could really tell there was a clear drop off from id since Quake 3, they've kind of fallen away and aren't as important as they used to be.

Gave your preview a click-through (you terrible opportunist you), nice if a little short, but you probably didn't get a whole lot of time with it. Not really sure what to make of the game, it looks like an alright bit of fun, but as with other things I'll have to give it a pass (until later, at least), the next few months being over-crowded with gaming goodness as they are.

I probably had about an hour in total, but that was split into fragments across the few days I was there, but I was honestly impressed, mainly because my preconceptions were quite low.

What games has Id made recently (not including Rage) since Doom 3? (Not that they haven't, I'm just not in that loop.) That engine was used in a number of other games by other outfits, but I'm talking about game content from Id. Previews of this game make it seem very fun: fast vehicle racing with weapons (been a personal favorite since Road Blasters combined with an Id-quality first-person shooter with a few RPG elements thrown in? It's certainly possible that it will suck, but I'll take that bet for $60.

looks pretty good IMO, I bought it. What the balls is with it not unlocking till friday in the UK

id was doing good, until epic came along, and started selling their engine. now, every game in the industry is using the unreal engine.

looks pretty good IMO, I bought it. What the balls is with it not unlocking till friday in the UK

Yeah that's the only thing that irritates me about Steam really. Great download speed, great we can preload it, but such a tease that we can start preloading it at the same time as the 'mericans, yet have to wait another 3 days before we can unlock it. Then again, I hate that about all releases. Hell even Australia gets it a day earlier than Europe. Yet in the UK our CDs and DVDs come out on mondays...logical Britain right there.

Dynasty, would you be interested in playing the co-op with me? I am looking for co-op partners and having trouble finding any.:p

See, I didnt even know there WAS co-op. Multiplayer racing yes, co-op gameplay? No.

But sure. I'll throw an invite out.

I'm kind of torn over Rage though. I mean, it looks pretty cool, but thats not enough these days, especially when you're releasing it in arguably the single best Q3 the gaming industry has ever seen (what with the laundry list of AAA titles), with hardly any advertising, I fear id have shot themselves in the foot big time. That and only a 15-20 hour campaign? (although that could be because we know Skyrim and Oblivion set the bar when it comes to game length) Only about 7 weapons? Hmm...

I have this feeling Rage will be this year's dark horse. Haven't pre-ordered it yet, but if the early (read: American) reaction is positive, I might get it.

Anyone know is the retail copy has STEAM works?

It has.

Yeah that's the only thing that irritates me about Steam really. Great download speed, great we can preload it, but such a tease that we can start preloading it at the same time as the 'mericans, yet have to wait another 3 days before we can unlock it. Then again, I hate that about all releases. Hell even Australia gets it a day earlier than Europe. Yet in the UK our CDs and DVDs come out on mondays...logical Britain right there.

That's not steam's fault. Publishers decide about release dates.

oh sweet.Then I can trade in some old 360 games and just buy the retail PC version.

not a fan of id games (doom was good back in the day) but splitscreen co-op guarentees I'll be buying it if not at least renting it when it comes out

I read that the game will be 25 gb,is true?

I'll check it out mostly to ogle at id Tech 5. The game itself looks pretty uninspired and lame... maybe if it had come out years ago before Fallout 3 / Borderlands etc it could have been a little more interesting. Nothing I've seen about it has grabbed me in the slightest. I've had the iOS version of Rage for a while and it's the most boring shit in the universe, BUT it does look goddamn beautiful for something running on a 1ghz CPU with very little video memory.

I think there is a 90% chance that I'm right and this game will suck monkey turds, and 10% chance it'll turn out to be great and will take everyone by surprise. Mostly I just think it will be pretty. Carmack is still a genius when it comes to technology - the guy who figured out how to remake Super Mario on then-inferior PC hardware and basically invented the first person 3d perspective is still a beast and a half. Too bad the games haven't kept up. I haven't given a shit about anything related to id Software since Quake 3 Arena.

<3 id software (although Doom 3 was pretty average).

I wonder why they've been moving towards singleplayer-focused games though, id singleplayer never set the world on fire (unless you count Doom and Quake 2 I suppose), but their multiplayer games defined a generation. I would rather have Quake 5, but will certainly be playing Rage in the meantime. :)

Quake 4 was a big disappointment. Although I doubt it would've turned out much better even if the Id team made it themselves. If they ever make Quake 5 they should focus on the multiplayer side, if they can't get the singleplayer right.

Why not make a sequel to the original Quake? I still think it's the best Quake game to date.

I enjoyed the first third of Quake 4, but then it got really boring when it became one-man-against-the-world.

The multiplayer in Quake 4 was excellent, once it had a couple of patches and a competition mod. Better than Quake 3 IMO, very similar but felt less floaty and with some interesting additions, like crouch-sliding, ramp-jumping and the ability to bounce grenades off jump pads and shoot weapons through teleports.

Unfortunately, BECAUSE it was so similar to Quake 3, it didn't last more than a year or two. There was no compelling reason to switch, what with all the time invested creating mods for Q3.

Why not make a direct sequel to first Quake? I still think it's the best Quake game to date.

I believe that is their plan for the next Quake game.

It will be a graphic masterpiece for consoles,that's for sure...
But as a PC die hard fan,it will all be on the gameplay mechanics,so we'll see.
I wouldn't complain if it was borderlands meets doom and quake thing (Which probably is the case),but i would like to see something more innovative from ID.
Just for a change...

So little to read about this... wow. I'm so tempted, yet I hate the idea that the MP may be vehicular only?... at least that's how the press makes it seem.

I want impressions so my impulses don't get the best of me.

edit: can't adjust graphics settings in a ****ing ID PC game. What the shit?

**** me.

I enjoyed the first third of Quake 4, but then it got really boring when it became one-man-against-the-world.

The multiplayer in Quake 4 was excellent, once it had a couple of patches and a competition mod. Better than Quake 3 IMO, very similar but felt less floaty and with some interesting additions, like crouch-sliding, ramp-jumping and the ability to bounce grenades off jump pads and shoot weapons through teleports.

Unfortunately, BECAUSE it was so similar to Quake 3, it didn't last more than a year or two. There was no compelling reason to switch, what with all the time invested creating mods for Q3.

I believe that is their plan for the next Quake game.

Raven developed Quake 4, Id had essentially nothing to do with it - so hard to weigh it against those other titles.

I have to confess, I am very, very surprised at id Software. Where is the advertising?

That's Bethesda's job, isn't it? All of their published games seem to be lost in Skyrim's shadow.

I read that the game will be 25 gb,is true?

Steam says the total download size is 21,562.5mb (21.562GB)

Rage is being published by Bethesda? Ahah, well that makes sense now on the lack of advertising front.

And auto detecting graphics?

Thats retarded. I'd say 90% of games that auto detect my settings just play it safe and put everything on medium, when it is perfectly capable of running on high. I'm sure someone will find a config file and mess around with it.

The interview even says there's PC settings... I somehow doubt there's no options whatsoever.

I'm waiting for the major price drop. I have limited time to play now as it is and I'm not going to plop down $50-60 when I can wait a few months when its cheaper

I'm waiting for the major price drop. I have limited time to play now as it is and I'm not going to plop down $50-60 when I can wait a few months when its cheaper
I am with you here, esp. with Dark Souls coming out tonight at midnight too. Rage has not done enough to differentiate itself from other post-apocalyptic titles to warrant 25 GB of HDD space nor the $60 price tag right now. Or maybe I am just tiring of shooters....

Back