So apparently Rage is out tomorrow.

No competitive FPS view multiplayer. Well, that's just about a deal breaker for me.

Id... ****ing Id has to be the company dropping it's bona fide first-person MP and server browsers.

Traded in some games...and pre ordered gonna pick it up tomorrow.

Kotaku recommends it, I've never heard a better reason to not buy a game.

It's because of that custom title that I can almost never take him seriously. That and that he's a talking dog.

Supposedly the PC version is broken, especially for computers with AMD cards. Buyer beware.

EDIT Also terrible pop-in for people who do get it to work. Although someone in the YT comments is mentioning an .ini fix.

Supposedly the PC version is broken, especially for computers with AMD cards. Buyer beware.

Already bought it, not that I have an AMD card. Should be patched by UK release anyway seeing as how a shitstorm is currently kicking off over it.

Game was patched today with a 60 MB patch, at least my pre-loaded version was.

Rage for the past few months has hardly broken through the top 20 on Amazon pre-orders. As of this weekend though, it is number 4 for the PC and not in the top 10 for the consoles. Thats for the UK website.

Its a new IP, people are wary about it, or perhaps never even heard about it. Most of the pre-orders in that top 20 are sequels to established IP.

kotaku should be a ban word

oh Barnz you and Samon are like the biggest haters ever.
Can't wait to pick up my copy later today....

Ars Technica says skip.

Sounds really, really horrible. Just about all of everyone's negative assumptions/worries about what would be wrong with this game came true.

Really sorry for anyone who preordered this. Hope the gunfights are good because just about everything sounds awful.

Well that explains it, I was wondering today how id have been able to keep going financially after not releasing something in years.

And lol at the graphics problems, doesnt seem to be everyone though on the PC, which is weird. And the driver update isnt working for everyone.

*sigh*

Is it really that difficult to release something without problems these days?

AMD's OpenGL support has always been shitty.

Sounds really, really horrible. Just about all of everyone's negative assumptions/worries about what would be wrong with this game came true.

Really sorry for anyone who preordered this. Hope the gunfights are good because just about everything sounds awful.

To be fair the Kuchera piece stands out in a negative way. Besides Ars the only sites that don't really seem to like RAGE are Destructoid, Joystiq and Edge. The current metascore is 82, but it might get lower when PC-specific reviews start to roll in.

Hopefully all this bs driver issue will be done by the time Europe gets its' release on friday.

Yet another developer screws the PC over. ***k sake.

AMD's OpenGL support has always been shitty.

This, I remember how awful things were when Brink came out as well.

Poor sods who own relatively new PCs and just want to use it as a gaming platform... it's no wonder people just switch over to consoles. Drivers are why I'm switching back to Nvidia on my next build, despite raw numbers. (though with Rage, it seems Nvidia folks are seeing quite a few issues as well).

Id hath forsaken us. I mean, there was a time when I'd have bent over backwards and let Carmack toss my salad - and now I see him as neglectful dickshit who would rather focus on iPhone games... not that I can blame him entirely, but he is the face of the company that essentially built my favorite gaming genre.

My expectations went up with the Besthesda buyout for some reason - boy was that a dumb presumption.

For what it's worth, what I've played has been quite fun, not that I'm overly picky about my shooters. As in, you know, as long as I can shoot pixelated shit, and said pixelated shit goes from appearing alive to appearing dead, I'm pretty happy.

Bear in mind, those don't include the BF3 and RO2 optimizations, afaik. A unified driver is on it's way, according to the Catalyst dude's blog.

fun game sofar but there are so many low rez objects kinda kills the mood. :(

I've been hearing people even on consoles (PS3 at least) are having problems with textures being drawn. Where did that badass id software from the 90's go?

MILLIONS OF JPEGS STRATEGY. FLAWLESS GFX.

OpenGL just doesn't have the standards/support it used to. As uniform and branded (under MS) DX is, it lends a lot to making games work across multitudes of machines.

That all being said, Valve seems to do just fine making most of their major titles available in both. (Mac ports, etc). Also the HL era titles even had a toggle!

Played this earlier and it ran like shite and had an amazing amount of pop in. Then I looked at my drivers and realised that they are around a year old. Changed to the Nvidia battlefield 3 beta drivers and now the game runs at a silky smooth 60fps with V-sync and AA on and the texture pop in is very minimal. I have noticed though that the pop in seems to be related to the FPS being pulled in. When I try to record with FRAPS and the game loses FPS, the texture pop in becomes a lot worse.

EDIT: Other than that I'm quite enjoying the game. Sure it does absolutely nothing different and in some respects (combat) still behaves like a 90's ID game. It's a shame the PC version has suffered this massive driver **** up because once a game gets tarnished like that, even when things get fixed people still find the initial reports on the net.

They really have no excuse though. **** them for it. I can't be arsed to tinker with ini files or use a driver that will gimp other games, so I'll just wait and contemplate writing a nasty hand-written letter. The rarity of snail mailing usually garners a reply of some sort. True story.

The review embargo makes perfect sense now. That's usually somewhat indicative.

They really have no excuse though. **** them for it.

You're right, there is no excuse and they were probably to console focused to do any proper testing on the PC version, but Bethesda have promised they are working on the pop-in problem and given the studios size it should get resolved fairly quickly. At the moment I can put up with the minimal texture pop ins I have.

They really have no excuse though. **** them for it. I can't be arsed to tinker with ini files or use a driver that will gimp other games, so I'll just wait and contemplate writing a nasty hand-written letter. The rarity of snail mailing usually garners a reply of some sort. True story.

You're going to write a letter complaining about a game you haven't played? :confused:

This article really quite impressed me when I read it (yes I know it is Reticule again) - http://www.thereticule.com/reviewing-rage-a-question-of-identity/

Little snippet:

This was originally intended to be a disclaimer at the beginning of my Rage review, but it spiralled out of control and now takes the form of an editorial about journalistic objectivity and the relationship gamers have with developers, thus ends the disclaimer to the disclaimer.

I like writing disclaimers, they give a piece of writing some context and act as a handy pre-apology – if you annoy a reader with mindless wittering, they allow you to say ‘Well I did warn you..’, This disclaimer is all about objectivity and journalistic integrity. You see, there’s this strange belief that journalists are supposed to be ‘objective’ in reviewing something, as though they have meditated for several hours before playing a game, cleared their mind of associations and bias and headed into a game in a zen-like state of calm – their mind a blank slate waiting for the game to write its truth upon. Not only is that entirely unrealistic – it’s undesirable. We are in fact loaded with bias, loaded with the memory of games we’ve previously played and this is how we help a game find a place in the great gaming pantheon. We compare and contrast and use our experiences to slot them into a wider context.

Fixing the pop up textures after upgrading the drivers:

Fix for the texture problems.

1.Create a Rage shortcut with the following launch parameters:
+com_allowconsole 1 +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +image_usecompression 0 +g_showplayershadow 1 +m_smooth 0

2.Create a file called rageconfig.cfg in Rage/base/ and put the following commands in there:
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192

3. Go to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ and if you don't have it create a folder called "id software" (without "). Then create a folder called "rage" (without ") inside that folder.

4. Run game and play.

Worked for me.

You should read the Metro.co.uk review of Rage.

God that gave me a laugh today at work. It read like it was written by a mother who'd never played a game before. ''Graphical problems everywhere, glitches and poor textures like that of a PS2 title.''

Yet summarised as having ''Great, smooth graphics.''

Some serious morons in journalism.

Turns out I had actually pre-ordered this on Tesco for the PC, £18 thanks to some great savings found on SavyGamer. Hope they are solving the issues quickly though.

Back