So yeah... music.

DannyC.

Reaction score
So as I was saying in another thread, I thought it might be a good idea to get an ipod, or I would probably enjoy just listening to music while I'm at my computer. That would probably a step in the right direction, but.. the problem is as much as I enjoy music, I've never really "gotten into" it. I don't own a single cd or have a single song on my computer. So naturally, I know jack about bands, songs, or good places to find the like.

So yeah, just share some goodies with me, if you care. I like any type of stuff as long as it's good (excluding rap).

Hm, not "into" music. My suggestion is to just expand your likings. Find a particular band or track you like and then go to www.pandora.com and see what it finds. I've discovered a lot of artists through this website... it's an insanely good tool if you're itching for new music.

You might not have heard what you really like yet.

Before I knew about electronic music like DnB and acid, house, IDM, etc. I listened to the popular shit that everyone else did. I didn't really like and therefore I wasn't really into music.

Once someone showed me Aphex Twin I knew I had found my genre. Ever since, music has been very powerful to me and it's a large part of my life.

This is quite a tough question for someone who hasn't really followed music over the years, and I know a few people who are/were the same, so I'll suggest albums that I really do think you might like on first listen with no background information provided at all. Each of these albums are albums I find something special, and I could enjoy them from the start line with no need to replay through a few times or anything.

I'll post the most famous songs from each of the albums, but either way all the tracks on each of these albums are fantastic, these are just the most well known/actual singles, etc.

Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
Try out track: ''Modern World'' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1nMHGyR_i8g)

Hot Water Music - Caution
Try out track: ''Remedy'' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-sjBpMEscdQ) Cliche as hell video but you get the idea.

At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
Try out track: ''One Armed Scissor'' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=VdWHaKF1khs)

Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right to Children
Er, not really sure what the most well known song is on this album, so pass.

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Try out track: the most well known from this album is probably ''Inertiatic ESP'', but I don't think theres a video, but Youtube has a few videos with as backing.

These five albums have all meant alot to me over the last 6/7 years.

I'd say theres a good selection here, from some nice relaxing chillout, to raw edgy hardcore punk, to downright energetic and truely sweat, blood and tears worth-of-time music, so give 'em a try and see what you think. Understandable if they fly right over you're head a first, so whatever. Like said, try out www.pandora.com as thats a GREAT help/

I'd go with what Qonfused said. Visit Pandora and just think of a particular band you've liked over the years. Create a station, and voila.

Pandora was the best thing ever till it had to restrict it's services to US users only :(

About the Ipod, go for it, but I think you should get it only after you've grown into music and can't really stop listening to music.

Never take band, album or song suggestions from message boards.

Find the genre that interests you the most and listen to a whole lot through Pandora, Last.fm etc...there are also plenty of genre based radio stations on the internet - which I find is the best way.

Once you start liking a particular genre then find out the main bands behind it, find out about related bands and related genres and go from there.

If you want to dig a little deeper then hunt down the obscure bands, that's where the fun starts...it's hard looking for new stuff but once you find a good album and band it's worth it!

And why not? What better way to branch out your musical tastes than to take suggestions from other people who like other genres?

I say start looking at older stuff that you like, around the '50s '60s and '70s, and then branch out more towards recent stuff.

That way you can build upon what you like, by seeing the raw basics of much of todays "quality" music, and then explore how it's changed.

I agree with Qonfused. Why the hell not? And I'm not just getting defencive about this because I suggested some bands. After all, he asked for music we think is good so it's win-win.

This forum alone has introduced me to LOADS of new music. Aphex Twin, Autechre, Venetian Snares, TV on the Radio... all artists/bands I listen to on a regular basis and damn I'm glad I was told about them. Other forums, too, have been crucial in building up my tastes. If you can't listen to firsthand experience of artists from likeminded individuals (millions of which exist on the Internet), what can you take suggestions from? The magazines, TV shows and radio stations of today? Feth that!

I guess if you've had no such luck then I really feel sorry for you, but how do you branch into ''obscure'' bands with no help from the internet? I'm not stating this as fact, as if saying it's impossible to, but I know for a damned fact I'd never get into Autechre through watching TV, reading magazines or by word of mouth from my friends. But, I guess somethings are in different in other places. I know hear, in England, it's pretty much constant barrages of ''LISTEN TO ARCTIC MONKEYS. ENJOY FALLOUT BOY. NME IS WATCHING YOU.''

So as I was saying in another thread, I thought it might be a good idea to get an ipod, or I would probably enjoy just listening to music while I'm at my computer. That would probably a step in the right direction, but.. the problem is as much as I enjoy music, I've never really "gotten into" it. I don't own a single cd or have a single song on my computer. So naturally, I know jack about bands, songs, or good places to find the like.

So yeah, just share some goodies with me, if you care. I like any type of stuff as long as it's good (excluding rap).
You have a Pearl Jam song in your avatar and profile, so you should basically listen to my suggestions and ignore everyone elses.

Cool songs that should get you into the bands:

Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter, Alive, Jeremy, Even Flow, Footsteps, Black, Breath, State of Love and Trust, Dissident, Off He Goes. Just get all their albums really.

Mother Love Bone - Stardog Champion, Stargazer, Crown of Thorns, This is Shangrila.

Alice in Chains - Bleed The Freak, Man in the Box, Love Hate Love, Down in a Hole, Rooster, Right Turn, Would, Junkhead.

Mad Season - River of Deceit, Wake Up, Long Gone Day.

Soundgarden - Outshined, Burden in my Hand, Black Hole Sun, Somewhere, Pretty Noose.

Temple of the Dog - Wooden Jesus, Times of Trouble, Say Hello to Heaven. (all about the lead singer of Mother Love Bone).

Sweet Water - Head Down.

Blind Melon - Change, No Rain.

Try getting them from mp3sparks or somewhere.

But if you don't want to listen to just one genre, DannyC., listen to other peoples suggestions aswell. ;)

And why not? What better way to branch out your musical tastes than to take suggestions from other people who like other genres?

You can do that by listening to Internet radio stations like I said...:LOL:

Why not do... both?

I prefer forums to be honest, because I can get a full sum up, opinion, album (s) suggestion and other such comments all in one, whereas Pandora just brings up songs from albums that alot of the time I have gone and ''aquired'' only to find said song on Pandora to be the only good track (give or take one/two others). Not always, but often. Same with Last.fm. Just a radio player of song after song after song, with nothing else but the album title and artist themselves. 17, 928 [etc] other listeners doesn't encourage me either because that doesn't say much when you hear My Chemical Romance are selling albums to the millions.

Sure, I've gotten into music through both these methods (just recently got into Fear Before the March of Flames through Last.fm - fething awesome) but as said in countless films, never get a machine to do a humans job. :naughty:

It's thanks to users here and somewhat detailed reviews (or, sometimes, just random outbursts of ''HOLY SHIT THIS ALBUM IS SO GOOD I MIGHT JUST DIE.'') that I've gotten into fantastic albums, artists and bands.

Whoa, thanks guys. I wasn't expecting this much response. The sort of responses from Antipop and Stardog (to Stardog, I just saw the Pearl Jam music video through a link somewhere and thought the animation was really cool :D) are what I was looking for; "any and all is good, so list some cool bands/music". Pandora sounds pimp, I'll check that out. Thanks for all the advice, you guys rule.

I'll be back...

Why not do... both?

I prefer forums to be honest, because I can get a full sum up, opinion, album (s) suggestion and other such comments all in one, whereas Pandora just brings up songs from albums that alot of the time I have gone and ''aquired'' only to find said song on Pandora to be the only good track (give or take one/two others). Not always, but often. Same with Last.fm. Just a radio player of song after song after song, with nothing else but the album title and artist themselves. 17, 928 [etc] other listeners doesn't encourage me either because that doesn't say much when you hear My Chemical Romance are selling albums to the millions.

Sure, I've gotten into music through both these methods (just recently got into Fear Before the March of Flames through Last.fm - fething awesome) but as said in countless films, never get a machine to do a humans job. :naughty:

It's thanks to users here and somewhat detailed reviews (or, sometimes, just random outbursts of ''HOLY SHIT THIS ALBUM IS SO GOOD I MIGHT JUST DIE.'') that I've gotten into fantastic albums, artists and bands.

I see what your point now, but forums are just individual's opinions - I'm very skeptic when some guy in a forum that tries to get me to like a certain band or album without even linking to a sample.

But if you're into that sort of thing try sites like http://www.rateyourmusic.com/ for reviews, they're quite accurate at nailing a good album over there - I think I'd trust them on what a good album is over a casual music forum on a gaming site, see what I mean? The albums that average 4 stars, or close too, are worth checking out.

I started from The Beatles and moved on from there, that's what I recommend

Alrighty.. that Pandora thing is really cool, I'll look into that more later. Antipop's list was helpful. The first one from Wolf Parade was pretty neat, Inertiatic ESP was.. ok I guess. But I did like Remedy :D. I'll look for more from that Hot Water Music group, and I'll try to find some stuff from Boards of Canada.

Stardog, I appreciate the huge list but.. ok, back to the avatar backstory. Setting asside the fact that the reason I set that snapshot as my avatar is because I liked the video a lot, I did enjoy the song (which I guess is important for enjoying the video), Do the Evolution.. little spazzy towards the end, but I liked it. Now, I'm thinking that Do the Evolution is Pearl Jam's oddball because all the music from Pearl Jam that was listed was very... mellow, slow. Do the Evolution is not a mellow/slow song. I looked through multiple songs from every listed band and I didn't like a single one. It's all too, well, mellow and slow.

Anyone who will check this and still has ideas, I hope that gives a little insight...

Glad you like HWM. :cheers: Really good band, just a shame they had to split up. If you like that sort've fast, raw and quite edgy stuff you may want to look into the general post-hardcore/punk/early emo genre for some more goodies.

I see what your point now, but forums are just individual's opinions - I'm very skeptic when some guy in a forum that tries to get me to like a certain band or album without even linking to a sample.

But if you're into that sort of thing try sites like http://www.rateyourmusic.com/ for reviews, they're quite accurate at nailing a good album over there - I think I'd trust them on what a good album is over a casual music forum on a gaming site, see what I mean? The albums that average 4 stars, or close too, are worth checking out.

True, but then it comes down to whether they link a sample or not, but it's not that difficult to go to Youtube and have a looksie is it? ;) Regardless, yes, samples are appreciated, but I guess for me it's not that big of a deal because I don't buy music, so if I aquire something and it's not very good it's no big deal.

I occasionaly go into Google and type 'top albums of [enter year here]' and have a look for what's most recommended, but yeah rateyourmusic has been pretty helpful, too. But that site and it's ratings are all made up from individuals who think such-and-such album is good, correct? So whilst rateyourmusic is a collective of hundreds of people, that's still a mass of people over the internet, so what's the difference? The larger the number of people who enjoy it is void for me, because as I said some other place, My Chemical Romance and the ilk of other pish have a following of millions so that doesn't say much. So for me, all it takes is one person to say ''hey, this album is pretty sweet, I recommend if if you like so-and-so band/artist'', but in this situation the OP has asked for any music we think is something special, and every album there is, surprisingly, something I think as something special. :D

I First got into music by accident. i was looking for a Evangalion AMV and i found one of Rammstein - Engle. I Found Basshunter when some obnoxious prick on a IRC sent me the youtube link for Boten Anna.

Now i listen to mostly Euro music.

before i listend to Classic rock such as Zepplin and Aerosmith. but i wasent really "into" it as you said

So whilst rateyourmusic is a collective of hundreds of people, that's still a mass of people over the internet, so what's the difference?

The difference is very simple and obvious, I'm not quite sure why you even asked. The difference is that one is a dedicated music review site that averages album scores while the other is a forum on a gaming site and made up of individual's own personal taste.

The larger the number of people who enjoy it is void for me, because as I said some other place, My Chemical Romance and the ilk of other pish have a following of millions so that doesn't say much.

Thay logic doesn't really apply to Rateyourmusic.com, because it's filled with people that love music - not millions of pish! Take a look at the top 100 charts and you'll see what I mean.

http://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time

My Chemical Romance album scores:

The Black Parade - 3.25
Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge - 3.26
I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love - 3.12

Very average albums.

The albums that average 4 stars, or close too, are worth checking out.

I'm just trying to help out. :angel:

A classic:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=w_dN1WXBxuw[/youtube]

The difference is very simple and obvious, I'm not quite sure why you even asked. The difference is that one is a dedicated music review site that averages album scores while the other is a forum on a gaming site and made up of individual's own personal taste.

Thay logic doesn't really apply to Rateyourmusic.com, because it's filled with people that love music - not millions of pish! Take a look at the top 100 charts and you'll see what I mean.

http://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/all-time

My Chemical Romance album scores:

The Black Parade - 3.25
Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge - 3.26
I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love - 3.12

Very average albums.

I'm just trying to help out. :angel:

What I was trying to get at is that it doesn't matter HOW many people rate so-and-so album highly. You can't say rateyourmusic is full of people that 'love music' because it's the bogstandard opinion in the end isn't it? Some people like that, some people like this... Hell, Led Zeppelin is rated highly (most the albums) on rateyourmusic and I loathe Led Zeppelin. A Beatles album as the best album of all time? Christ, nuke these people now and get rid of them from the face of the earth.

In fact, it's explained right there in your example why I wouldn't trust the mass majoritys opinion. My Chemical Romance albums over 1 star? Your having a laugh. My opinion, though, so I can say that. :angel:

Maybe it's just my general distrust of the mass majority of music listeners? Perhaps it's the area I live in? All I know for sure is that over here, the country has been swept over by Fallout Boy, MCR, Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks... mostly pish, really. Although albiet, sometimes listenable, natch, but usually not deserving the credit it/they get. But regardless, I'll take an individuals individual opinion over the mass anyday. And to this day, it's worked wonders. I'd probably shoot myself in the face If I listened to other such mass majorities such as MTV, Kerrang and those majorities alone.

Siding with Antipop here.

The heed I pay to majority opinions when it comes to music is limited to the fans within their respective genres. High reviews for the classic "greats" such as Led Zep or the Beatles don't apply to me because I never have and never will like that music. If I think every My Chemical Romance album should be scraping scores at the bottom of the barrel instead of getting average reviews, then clearly sources like rateyourmusic.com aren't too helpful to me. And in no way am I trying to cheapen what the site is trying to do. I'm sure it's helpful for those who have a broader appreciation of music in general. But I'm a stubborn bastard and loathe a lot of what I encounter outside of my core tastes.

I listen to individual opinions more, and that depends on who the individual is. That we're on a gaming forum means nothing. There are quite a few people here that share heavily in my tastes for certain artists. I may not like all of the groups they listen to, nor do I expect them to feel the same with mine. But if they toss out a recommendation, the endorsement feels a lot more heartfelt and understanding than some average score. It's literally the expression of "Hey, you and I like a lot of the same artists, maybe you'll like this one too".

You are both missing the point! Ratings don't centre around your own personal opinion of what good music is! It doesn't come down to that...I can't believe you two are that ignorant. Sure, My Chemical Romance are a bad band but they don't deserve a 1, or whatever you think they deserve, just because you are "anti-pop" and don't like their particular brand of music.

Here's an example; I don't listen to John Coltrane or Charles Mingus yet I can appreciate their albums and know that they are very solid albums - you can't deny that. But I don't go around saying "John Coltrane sucks, nuke everyone off the face of the earth just because I don't like Jazz". Because that is opinion - and that's what I was saying all along. Don't listen to recommendations on forums because they are individual's opinions! Thanks for confirming my point.

Either way this is a pointless argument - it's like talking to a wall. I'd rather get music recommendations from sources other than a gaming forum! I don't trust people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" anyway...

You are both missing the point! Ratings don't centre around your own personal opinion of what good music is! It doesn't come down to that...I can't believe you two are that ignorant. Sure, My Chemical Romance are a bad band but they don't deserve a 1, or whatever you think they deserve, just because you are "anti-pop" and don't like their particular brand of music.

Here's an example; I don't listen to John Coltrane or Charles Mingus yet I can appreciate their albums and know that they are very solid albums - you can't deny that. But I don't go around saying "John Coltrane sucks, nuke everyone off the face of the earth just because I don't like Jazz". Because that is opinion - and that's what I was saying all along. Don't listen to recommendations on forums because they are individual's opinions! Thanks for confirming my point.

Either way this is a pointless argument - it's like talking to a wall. I'd rather get music recommendations from sources other than a gaming forum! I don't trust people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" anyway...

Y'know, I knew it was going to come down to an argument about this. I've had it before, and now I've got to go through it again.

All this talk of opinion reminds me of something. Oh yeah, that when I suggest something (album. artist), it is MY OPINION, and in no way, shape or form do I force it upon anyone. All I've done in this thread is suggest a few bands and I think are great. You know what else is funny? That's what the OP asked for. Who'da thunk it. Nothing more, nothing less. You know why I suggested a few bands and artists? Because many a time, people have suggested bands and artists to me and they have become personal favourites. Vice versa, innit?

I feel My Chemical Romance deserve a 1 or no-star ratings because... guess what, I don't like the albums! And yes, I have heard them, for a matter of fact - many a time now, and I think they face-down suck the bag. Why the hell would I appreciate them... if I don't like them? I don't get this mentality. To me, theres good music, and theres bad music. The key word here is music. That stuff that instruments produce. I listened to them, and I didn't enjoy what I heard, and thus I'd rate their albums low. What's the point in appreciating music when you don't like? Who the hell even mentioned the type of music they are, and whether or not I like it and base my opinion on that one band? I'm not 'anti-pop', as my name might suggest, it's just a Primus song I like quite alot. But jumping to conclusions ftw!!1 As a fellow user with a Primus song for his name aswell, I would of thought you might of known where my name came from.

And I can go around saying stuff like that, because it's my opinion. Thanks for confirming my point.

I listen to music for the music, and that alone... and if I don't like that, what else is there to like? If you want to respect music for all the wrong reasons, like whether it's a solid album or not (?!), and not the music itself, then go ahead. I pity you, though, aswell as hate you because theres nothing more I hate than people who rant and rave about musicians and bands because of what they've done or how many albums they've sold or some other tripe.

Uh oh! Grammar time! Christ, get on a grip on yourself. A few spelling mistakes... big ****ing deal, mate. And there you go again, with the whole 'gaming forum' mentality... so fething what? Seriously, what kind of arguement is that? The theme of the forum is based around a certain game, in which users in the hundreds flock towards to discuss whatever they want to talk about. Sure, for the most part is forum is set to that certain style and genre (ala, HL2), but that doesn't mean the users don't like music for christ sake. This site is just a big place on the internet with alot of people involved. Alot of these people, most, I'd say, enjoy music. They can discuss music, if they want, in this forum. The difference between this site and last.fm, or rateyourmusic? Apart from the obvious, like the theme, or the little tid-bits they can do like listen or rate music, theres nothing. Each is home to people that enjoy music, so why they can't talk to other such users is beyond me. Gamers aren't music listeners, perhaps? Generalisations ftw? Hell, I'd bet everyone from last.fm is a gamer. Banish them from the site for suggesting to play a video game to another user!

I can't believe you are so ignorant to miss the point. Actually, it's weird. You did get the point, yet you somehow had a problem with making it cohere with your argument.

Yes, ratings don't centre around my personal tastes. This is true for everybody. And seeing as how I have no love for most other genres of music outside of my tastes, sites like rateyourmusic.com are useless to me. I honestly do feel that My Chemical Romance deserves far lower ratings. Clearly the consensus that is formed on rateyourmusic.com doesn't apply to me, both in regards to My Chemical Romance and a plethora of other artists. Hence why I find individual recommendations from those who are like-minded to me preferable.

Apples and oranges. I don't like Jimi Hendrix or or Led Zep, but I don't think they suck. I do in fact respect their contributions to music. That's very different from the kind of disdain I hold for artists like MCR and Fallout Boy, who I believe are devoid of any musical worth.

And fair enough! But I don't see what the problem is with getting recommendations from a gaming forum. What, because we play games our opinions on music are suddenly less valid? Musical opinions here have nothing to do with the subject matter of the forum. You're just being stupid.

Don't listen to recommendations on forums because they are individual's opinions! Thanks for confirming my point.

D:

Listen to any recomendations you can get. You might find something new or interesting, but make up your mind for yourself. Don't let a forum decide for you.

I'm a big fan of Dream Theater and Symphony X. Recommend me some similar prog bands please!

I'd much rather get opinions from individuals than review compilations where 90% of the reviews are baseless fanboy "OMG I LOVE THIS BAND!" five-star ratings. It's even worse once you get into the obscure artists, because then the only people who rate those are the people who already like the artist, so much so that they feel the need to rate the album on a review compilation site.

Rateyourmusic.com and similar sites are useful as surveys, nothing more.

Rateyourmusic is one of the most useful sites on the internet for finding music. The site's system is designed so that obvious fanboyism gets a much lower weighting then otherwise. I've discovered many of my favorite bands from the site. Anyone who doubts its usefulness obviously hasn't spent too much time on the site.

I'm a big fan of Dream Theater and Symphony X. Recommend me some similar prog bands please!

Check out pretty much any band from my last.fm profile: http://www.last.fm/user/GlassPrison33/charts/?charttype=overall&subtype=artist

The first step is to find you niche. Be it punk or electronic, find some bands you like and branch out from there. Find people with similar tastes who can point you in the right direction.

All of this has been said already. I feel useless.

Back