Soundeffects - HL2's sound key!

NiteStalker

Reaction score
Don't know how many of you who have read it, but Gabe Newell talked about the sound, and this one is cool.

When something happens with you, the sound reacts to the situation. If you almost crap your pants because your in a dark alley, it will probably be scary music.
It's not a triggered things, because HL2 don't have scripts (they use something similar, it's like a god telling the AI what to do in certain situations)

That's all from me, now I'm going to bed.:afro:

Originally posted by NiteStalker

It's not a triggered things, because HL2 don't have scripts

HL2 DOES have scripting. But they try to keep it to a minimum.

Geez, everyone talks as if the game just programs itself. The programmers ARE still programming the game to do things, and you can legitimately call this scripting. The difference is that the scripts they are doing now are much more dynamic, reacting to a far greater range of player inputs and events, and they are being made of much smaller individual pieces which can then come together in any number of different ways.

soundeffects better improve from the first hl, they were shocking :eek:

To quote Jay Stelly, the sound effects are "super high quality". So there ya go. Expect super high quality! Woo....yeah.

-Vert

Originally posted by Vertigo
To quote Jay Stelly, the sound effects are "super high quality". So there ya go. Expect super high quality! Woo....yeah.

-Vert

that or 44khz stereo

I'm due for a soundcard upgrade anyway. The on-board sound just ain't gonna cut it.

Originally posted by chili pepper
I'm due for a soundcard upgrade anyway. The on-board sound just ain't gonna cut it.

its all the same. What you really need is a sub and good speakers. Altec-Lansing makes some good shit for that.

Actually, a better soundcard WILL speed up your system, taking on more of the burden of processing sounds, and away from your CPU.

my sblive value worked damn fine untill it DECIDED TO MOTHER****ING MELT ITSELF.. now i'm left with sub par onboard sound.. i'm not too worried about it though.. my video card is the main bottleneck in my computer.. (geforce 2 gts) .. as much as i'm loving the hl2 footage i've seen.. i'm going to need to upgrade that by sept.. but i don't know where the money is goin to come from .. =\

What does bottleneck acctually mean ?, is it where one component is stopping all the other components reaching the max because of some crap component ?

Originally posted by simmo2k3
What does bottleneck acctually mean ?, is it where one component is stopping all the other components reaching the max because of some crap component ?
yeah.. basically people say what the bottleneck in their system is.. meaning what lone component will stop them from reaching their systems full potential.. it usually can't be anything other then ram, cpu speed, or video card model.. it's the one thing in their system that's usually the oldest, and makes the other faster components useless because even though they are acceptable they can't change how slow the bottleneck component is.. for example if you have a geforce 4 and a p2 400 mhz cpu.. you're not going to be able to play hl2.. meaning the cpu was your bottleneck.. in my case my videocard is the bottleneck because it's the only thing that would make the game nearly unplayable.

I/O based computers are the bottleneck :p Get a biocomp newbs Hehe

(note: this is a joke)

Originally posted by TrueWeltall
I/O based computers are the bottleneck :p Get a biocomp newbs Hehe

(note: this is a joke)
make sure to water your computer or it might die.. :cheese:

biocpu's do seem pretty interesting if they actually will ever become implemented into personal computers.. who knows?

ComputeR groW is the best water solution ;) Feed your comp lsd and watch the screen :p

Originally posted by TrueWeltall
ComputeR groW is the best water solution ;) Feed your comp lsd and watch the screen :p
i wanna see my comp trip.. lol like watching as the processor stutters and then speeds up incredibly.. also altering how pixels are displayed to create crazy psychadelic visuals instead of your desktop.. lol how fun..

damn i need some sleep.

also: have you ever shroomed?

Back