Source 2 Files Have Been Removed

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
source-2-logo-censored-png.23717

Well, I think this just about confirms that the files that we found, and the code inside them, were part of a secret build of Valve's next-generation engine.

A few days after we found the files, Valve has removed the entire /vproj/ directory from everybody's hard drive. But the new Hammer icons are still there, and so is valve.py - the file that briefly mentions Ep3 and Alyx.

Here's a recap of what the code in the files told us about Source 2 so far...
  • Source 2 is in the making, and it's next-gen.
  • Hammer is getting a big update (will include a scale tool, paint tool, several new terrain editing tools, and more).
  • Source 2 may have full support for 64-bit systems.
  • The content pipeline is getting an overhaul (new file format for world models, new standard file paths)
These are exciting times for a Valve fan!

Attachments

• source-2-logo-censored.png
    source-2-logo-censored.png
    6 KB · Views: 17,909
I bet its going to be a while, and it will be well worth it.

I haven't been this excited for something in a long time.

Will Hammer no longer be gay?

Not if GayBen has something to say about it. j/k

Anyways, I hope they get rid of BSP so we can have beautiful vegetation instead of Source's ugly paper spinning trees, plants and flat surfaces. Something that is less painful, like a drag and drop would be a suitable replacement.

Not if GayBen has something to say about it. j/k

Anyways, I hope they get rid of BSP so we can have beautiful vegetation instead of Source's ugly paper spinning trees, plants and flat surfaces. Something that is less painful, like a drag and drop would be a suitable replacement.
More a wysiwyg editor, like the Cryengine mapping tool?

if removing the source 2 files "confirms" that source 2 is in development, does that mean that not removing the episode 3 references confirms that episode 3 is not in development

think about it

Simply put: Speculate about EP3 and that stuff,but not about our new engine,that is top secret! :D

This is certainly interesting. It looks like Valve didn't want us snooping around those files. It makes me think that this Source 2 may be the engine shipped with Half Life 3. I am definitely excited to hear more about what this Source engine 2 has to offer. Exciting times indeed.

im glad they are working on a hammer update because right now im not that good at making outdoor's kindas levels so i hope they make it so i can make it look good and not just a square box outdoor kinda deal lol

Those EP3 "references" in the code were nothing more than inside jokes by Valve, for Valve. They are just there for the programmers' convenience (and who ever reads the code). There's nothing to speculate since those "references" were probably old commented code and of little benefit or insight. Anything (especially code) with "EP3" slapped somewhere on it will get people excited these days...

Those EP3 "references" in the code were nothing more than inside jokes by Valve, for Valve. They are just there for the programmers' convenience (and who ever reads the code). There's nothing to speculate since those "references" were probably old commented code and of little benefit or insight. Anything (especially code) with "EP3" slapped somewhere on it will get people excited these days...

Your kidding, right?

Does the words in SFM "NEXT GEN" in the code in question mean anything to you? There is clearly 3 separate engines in the code (Hybrid, Source, and Source 2). Nice troll post, there...

Your kidding, right?

Does the words in SFM "NEXT GEN" in the code in question mean anything to you? There is clearly 3 separate engines in the code (Hybrid, Source, and Source 2).

Yes, they do. But I never even mentioned anything about the "NEXT GEN" portion of this topic. Besides there is nothing to speculate about it, because it is pretty well known and predictable by those who are "in the loop" within game development in general (which by my guess seems to be not many of the users on this site). "Next gen" doesn't really mean anything - it's just a flashy phrase - until you actually see something working from it. We haven't seen the new Hammer Editor, and we haven't even seen any notable software or tools related to Source 2. Other than perhaps remnants of Source 2 code in SFM, which coincidentally has been in the making even before TF2 came out of beta (the tool itself, not the code, that is).

In any case, if Valve stuck with their current generation source engine for even the next year or two, they'll start falling behind due to other new engines and SDKs coming out through other developers. Such as the new UDK 4 engine or even CryEngine 3 with the anticipated features (and convenience) that comes along with them.

Have you tried making a proper mod with any of the numerous branches of the Source SDK? Have you tried exporting models to work with Hammer? Have you struggled to make a simple custom texture work in Hammer? So yea, of course Valve is going to overhaul, it's a well known fact and it's about time. There's no doubt or mystery about that. The current engine is a complete clusterf*** and I can't wait for it to be overhauled any sooner than you.

Perhaps I'm simply nit-picking, but regardless of that I think an update to the original topic concerning Source 2 (http://www.valvetime.net/threads/exclusive-next-gen-source-2-engine-is-in-development.215336/) would have sufficed.

Nice troll post, there...

Nice mature response, there...

The files were not completely removed.
T(C):\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\sdktools\python\global\lib\site-packages\filesystem\valve.py

"
_TOOLS = None
def tools( engine='Source 2' ):
'''
returns the location of our tools.
'''
global _TOOLS

if engine == 'Source':
if _TOOLS is None:
try:
_TOOLS = Path(os.environ['VTOOLS'])
except KeyError:
try:
_TOOLS = Path.Join( os.environ[ 'VGAME' ], '/../../tools' )

except KeyError:
try:
_TOOLS = Path.Join( os.environ[ 'VPROJECT' ], '/../../../tools' )
except KeyError:
raise KeyError('%VGAME% or %VPROJECT% not defined - cannot determine tools path')
else:
if _TOOLS is None:
try:
_TOOLS = Path(os.environ['VTOOLS'])
except KeyError:
try:
_TOOLS = Path.Join( os.environ[ 'VGAME' ], '/sdktools' )
except KeyError:
try:
_TOOLS = Path.Join( os.environ[ 'VPROJECT' ], '../sdktools' )
except KeyError:
raise KeyError('%VGAME% or %VPROJECT% not defined - cannot determine tools path')"

Yes I mentioned that valve.py was still there, but the other larger scripts were removed.

Well... That's what the line says:

"If key doesn't doesn't exist, assume 'Source', otherwise invalid -- assume next-gen 'Source 2'.'"

So I made the assumption that that means what we hope it means.

Line 1388 http://pastebin.com/ddbuCHa6

I was kind of poking at how much of a dumb buzz-word 'next gen' is.

It's a new engine Valve is making that isn't finished or released yet, what other gen would it be?

Back