Source 2 & Left 4 Dead 3 Appear On Valve Changelog

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Development progress for Valve's upcoming next-gen Source 2 engine and the previously leaked Left 4 Dead 3 has recently been found on an internal changelog system on a monitor within Valve HQ. As many of you will be aware, Valve are currently busy hosting the the multi-million dollar International 3 Dota 2 tournament in Seattle. As part of the event, a variety of fans, including members of the Dota 2 subreddit board, were recently given the opportunity to visit Valve HQ for guided tours, with one such tour being documented by the founder of the subreddit, ReaverXai, who has uploaded a variety of photographs from the Dota 2 workstations.

While the majority of the photographs provide previews of upcoming merchandise, the development team's preparation for the International 3 tournament, and miscellaneous shots of Valve offices, one particular photograph appears to show a changelog system on one of Valve's monitors, a list which includes multiple internal updates for Dota 2, Steam, Valve's websites, Source 2 and more. Each update features accompanying icons to help identify which product the change is related to, as shown in the image below.

Source2large.jpg
Click the image above for a closer look at the original changelog list, or check out this extremely high resolution version for an even better look.
The full list, shown above, includes multiple references to Source 2 and the upcoming Left 4 Dead 3, both of which have had their existences leaked multiple times in the past. The original full image features a total of 11 changes for Source 2, some of which we have included in text format below.​
  • "[Source2] Changed typedef for ENTITYFUNCPTR to point to a CEntityInstance member instead of a CB..."
  • "[Source2] Changed L4D3's test_networking unit test to use devtest level again. Ran assert-free..."
  • "First pass at getting selection code working using the source2 hitbox system instead of the source 2 c...."
  • auto-submit of game binaries - built from revision 1858544. Changes included in this submit: Chang..."
  • "Getting VScript running on the client:..|- Created tier4 interface VSCRIPT_SERVICE_INTERFACE_CLIEN..."
Source2Zoom.jpg

For those wondering about Valve's other projects - the list also includes 15 references for Dota 2, 4 for Steam, and over 17 for Valve's websites. Every change on the list is an internal update made to Valve products in a 2-3 hour period yesterday afternoon between the hours of 1pm and 4pm. These changes, while not necessarily important, show that Source 2 and Left 4 Dead 3 are both currently deep in active development, with Left 4 Dead 3 most likely still in the early alpha stages of production, as shown by the reference to a simplistic "devtest level". While the list appears to feature no direct references to Half-Life 3 or any other potential Source 2 titles, we should stress this is by no means a true representation of all the internal work going on within Valve at this time. It may still be sometime before Source 2 and/or Left 4 Dead 3 are revealed and released to the public, but I'm sure we can all rest easy knowing that both projects are still getting the attention they deserve from Valve's developers.

We'll be sure to bring you any updates regarding Source 2 or Left 4 Dead 3 if and when we learn more. We also recommend you check out the original photo gallery, available here, if you're looking for some behind the scenes information about Dota 2, the tournament or some upcoming merchandise.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 14,270
But whats the fifth project??????!!!!

But whats the fifth project??????!!!!

Exactly. Clearly nobody was working on it during this 2-3 hours. It would be interesting to learn what it was.

It looks to be a Chrome window and the URL appears to be "danielj.valvesoftware.com/p4monitor/" and the page title is "P4 Monitor". P4 in the URL and page title probably means Perforce which is version control software. Danielj is probably for Daniel Jennings, the developer behind change #1858509. Visiting this site does not load a page, however.

I enhanced the URL bar and here's an image of it:
p4monitor.png
And an enhanced view of Daniel Jennings' entry:
danieljennings.png

Not to overstate the obvious, but as the post implies I think we can safely assume it WILL be some time before we actually see a HL3 or L4D3. Reasonable assumption to think Valve would want to release these on their nextgen engine.

And while I'm not a game developer, I have to assume that if they just did the "First pass at getting selection code working using the source2 hitbox system instead of the source1...." as Jay Stelly's update states at 2:48pm.... we are probably not seeing anything in 2013 as some folks continue to hope we will...

Not to overstate the obvious, but as the post implies I think we can safely assume it WILL be some time before we actually see a HL3 or L4D3. Reasonable assumption to think Valve would want to release these on their nextgen engine.

And while I'm not a game developer, I have to assume that if they just did the "First pass at getting selection code working using the source2 hitbox system instead of the source1...." as Jay Stelly's update states at 2:48pm.... we are probably not seeing anything in 2013 as some folks continue to hope we will...
Until any games are officially announced as actually being in development I wouldn't expect to see anything in any year

These are online services and/or multiplayer games, so the fifth game is CS:GO.

Riddle solved. :p

Hmmm...maybe this is it --> LINK

Or not...who knows...who cares....:dead:

I wish the Left4Dead IP would crawl into a corner and die. Bored to tears with it. At least add a ****ing campaign.

Haven't we had enough zombie games this gen? I'm so ****ing sick of it.

Valve has been a major disappointment lately.

It would be nice to see Valve work on a new IP. I don't know, something fresh and out of Valve's ordinary.

Glad to see there are a few people not willing to make excuses for Valve. You guys should frankly be sick that after spending so many years promising they were hard at work and telling us to stop whining and be patient, they have people working on yet another Left 4 Dead instead of Half-Life.

Can we please not have any more Left 4 Dead or retarded zombie games in general.

You guys should frankly be sick that after spending so many years promising they were hard at work and telling us to stop whining and be patient

Wut. I'd like to know what sources you're using for that information (because they obviously aren't real sources).

Valve's general message about Half-Life since 2008 has been "We don't talk about Half-Life", a message which seems to be dissipating as of late.

Back