Source Engine Code Leak (Version 2007)

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Reports from a Russian website have spread today that the engine codebase for the Source 2007 engine has been leaked. The breach seems to have occured a long time ago but only now have the files surfaced which we have seen available for download in various locations.

According to those who have accessed the material, the files contain information for Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-life: Source, Portal, Portal - Multiplayer test (the failed original MP for Portal) and Half-life 2: Deathmatch. According to our researchers only one reference to Episode 3 exists, which resides in the code for npc_surface.

Interlopers states that the engine was packaged in this form for game developers who license the Source engine.

Valve have previously been asked whether they would make the source code available for any of their games, even those on the gldsrc engine but said they would not as it makes exploiting the engine easier for cheats in their multiplayer titles. As such we imagine this could turn out to be a problem for some of the titles mentioned above, although the code is somewhat outdated (2007) and as such, most games have long since been updated from this version.

More updates on this soon.

I don't see this as being a big deal. Valve's games have moved on from this codebase, and Source is hardly the go-to engine for people wanting to make a game (especially not the 2007 codebase)

I think TF2 and CSS both run on this version of the engine though?

TF2 and CSS (Hidden Path updated the game last year) runs on 2009.

Is anything still running on 2007 then Barnz? Specifically multi-player?

I think Day of Defeat: Source is still on 2007.

I think Day of Defeat: Source is still on 2007.

Half-Life 2: DeathMatch, Day of Defeat: Source, Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod are all still the 2007 engine. Hence why they all update at the same time. Or atleast they all share some level of network code. Not sure if its relevant to this, though.

EDIT: Damned smilies. Can't even write Half-Life 2: DeathMatch in short without getting a stupid face.

this is pretty interesting indeed maybe valve should consider mvoing whatever is left on the 2007 engine onto the 2009 engine and get rid of the old one

This was probably leaked or hacked from a license holder. Not necessarily taken from Valve's database.

Half-Life 2: DeathMatch, Day of Defeat: Source, Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod are all still the 2007 engine. Hence why they all update at the same time. Or atleast they all share some level of network code. Not sure if its relevant to this, though.

EDIT: Damned smilies. Can't even write Half-Life 2: DeathMatch in short without getting a stupid face.
Gmod 13 is updating its game engine to the l4d2 engine

The code is still out of date. The games that still use the 2007 base have moved on since the leak. I doubt it will lead to any significant problems.

It's not like they rewrite the whole engine from scratch every time they update the engine. Isn't the whole Source versions thing more of a milestone marker than anythign else? If so plenty of this code could still be useful for people trying to cause trouble.

I remnber I once saw a player in the dota2 beta who had his username in diferent colors,someone asked him how he do that and that person just responded "hax",maybe is related to this?

Oh RJ.

I restarted Steam yesterday after installing Black Mesa and I had a Steam update and late a Source SDK 2007 update

Back