Special infected idea: Subclasses

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Sort of a version of the TF2 unlocks for L4D. Each of the special infected get a subclass that you can choose to play as instead of the basic ones. ie, you get a new menu where you choose which subclass of Smoker, Boomer and Hunter you wish to use and whenever the AI director chooses one of those classes for you, you get to play the subclass you have selected, giving some element of choice to the system.

Smoker Subclass: Stoner (or Fumer if you want a more serious name)
Emits a brown/orange smoke instead of the usual green. If a survivor inhales the smoke, as well as the usual vision imparement and coughing, the survivor begins to halucinate for a short period. Humans under the effects of the smoke will see things up close with the contrast and saturation turned up, and turned down for things at a distance. They will also experience some motion blur. They will hear special infected and hoardes that aren't there. Hoardes will also appear to be larger than they actually are, with, say, the survivor seeing 20% more infected in a hoarde than there actually are. The Stoner suffers from a shorter tounge and a louder cough.

Boomer Subclass: Biler
Vomit from the Biler, as well as the usual effects, slows down survivors who are struck by it to half speed. Due to the sticky nature of the bile, the Biler is more stable and won't explode upon death.

Hunter Subclass: Stalker
The Stalker has less developed legs than the ordinary Hunter but stronger arms and claws. He can't jump as far as the hunter but can climb along ceilings and walls to attack from more angles. His initial pounces also do almost no damage but once the human is pinned his damage per second increases exponentially.

Also the L4D blog was updated with a crossword a couple of days ago.

I like the idea of the Stoner, especially the bigger horde idea.

A moving witch would be good as well, one that wanders through the area crying. If it gets too close it attacks.

I like the idea of the Stoner, especially the bigger horde idea.

A moving witch would be good as well, one that wanders through the area crying. If it gets too close it attacks.

I like the witch idea, the wandering is both an advantage and a disadvantage, since it could mean she could actually get out of your way if you're patient, though an equal chance she could wander into you.

My idea for a Tank sublcass: Plow (lack of better name) the very power of the Plow allows him to knock large objects (forklifts, cars) out of the way simply by running into them. However this is done as it's primary attack, a forward charge, leaving no rock-throw and decreased attack strengths.

I like to think of it as the type of player who prefers hitting survivors with objects rather than fists, charging at a player would also be possible for the knockback, and normal fisting would be possible, though weaker.

Sub-classes are great I think. But instead I think it should be "new" classes that are close to the old. So the AI chooses it for you. Just a thought.

Alternate/new Tank : Chunk Norris

Yes I wrote chuNk. This guy is fast and powerfull when it comes to ripping chunks of concrete off the ground. So beware. He is fast and will kill you on hit. On the other hand he is a lot slower because of all the mucles, but that also gives him some more healt, he is also smaller in height than the original tank.

I'm a friggin' psychic about the wandering Witch, it's gonna be in L4D2. I should sue for creative intelligence or something lmao. :D

I'm a friggin' psychic about the wandering Witch, it's gonna be in L4D2. I should sue for creative intelligence or something lmao. :D

Yes, but the sitting witch won't be in L4D2 (as far as we've been told, that is). An actual subclass are the fire resistant horde zombies.

Yes, but the sitting witch won't be in L4D2 (as far as we've been told, that is). An actual subclass are the fire resistant horde zombies.

Nah, sitting witch is in. She's in one of the gameplay videos but I forget which, close to a safe room door near some buses/trucks. Someone disturbs her.

Nah, sitting witch is in. She's in one of the gameplay videos but I forget which, close to a safe room door near some buses/trucks. Someone disturbs her.

They specifically said witch travels at DAY, and sits at NIGHT.

They specifically said witch travels at DAY, and sits at NIGHT.

This I do not know or deny, but the gameplay video is during day/afternoon, I recall.

Hectic Glenn posted a bunch of them in the news section recently. Have a watch. I may be wrong but I'm sure it was a sitting witch during a day time. Maybe it's prior to change.

EDIT: Nope, sitting witch at day in this video: Frying Pan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sdEbaq6M2o

This I do not know or deny, but the gameplay video is during day/afternoon, I recall.

Hectic Glenn posted a bunch of them in the news section recently. Have a watch. I may be wrong but I'm sure it was a sitting witch during a day time. Maybe it's prior to change.

EDIT: Nope, sitting witch at day in this video: Frying Pan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sdEbaq6M2o

Well it's still pretty new, i'd assume the roaming witch has only just begun to reworked.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-09-hands-on-with-left-4-dead-2-134770.phtml&skin=

Paragraph 8: "Witches also wander around in daytime levels (which, by the way, are no more or less creepy than the night levels from the first game), rather than just sitting still and allowing the survivors to move around him. It's kind of a neat change as it makes it much more likely that you'll end up pissing her off, but we still easily took her out via the normal method (move away, torch her, everybody shoot her at the same time)."

I'd like some small, fast, child zombies. I know the idea of killing a "child" is kinda off-putting (why theres no kids in GTA) but it'd be a scary ****ing thing.

Back