Spent

They cities I gave aren't small towns, though. They're just on the west coast. You guys are just used to the east coasts' insane cost of living. More people should migrate westward, and I predict we will see this happen over time. A new 'great migration' only this time not based on race nor class, but on housing availability.

but people dont want to live in the west or they'd already be there. and yes those cities are small. Reno has a population of 180480. that's smaller than a suburb of toronto and we have almost as many italians in toronto as there are people in phoenix; small city in comparison. how many ethiopian resturants are there in say Salt Lake City?

there are dozens in toronto:

http://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_best_ethiopian_restaurants_in_toronto/

as well as from every corner of the world. you couldnt get that in say Barrie ontario that has the population of Reno

What are you guys even arguing about? That the cost of living is higher in metropoli? Pittsburgh is better than any city mentioned in this thread.

ya, sure but only if you nuke the other 28 cities on the list

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ce-live-says-Economist-Intelligence-Unit.html

Worldwide, the Canadian city of Vancouver topped the list for the fifth time in a row, scoring 98 per cent overall - a figure unchanged from last year. It was followed by Melbourne in Australia and Vienna in Austria.

The rest of the top ten is dominated by other Canadian and Australian cities, with the exception of Finland's Helsinki, at number six, and New Zealand's Auckland, ranked at number ten.

Pittsburgh came in at number 29 across the globe

ahem toronto is #4 on that list

also we're arguing that there is more opportunities in big cities which is why people live there. Rakurai disagrees and thinks everyone should move to small affordable city

Oh, well I don't consider other countries as viable places to live, so they might as well not exist.

What are you guys even arguing about? That the cost of living is higher in metropoli? Pittsburgh is better than any city mentioned in this thread.

The thread started out about a website then moved to who's city is better then moved to Ethiopian restaurants.

mmmmmm ethiopians. kinda stringy but dem good eats

but people dont want to live in the west or they'd already be there. and yes those cities are small. Reno has a population of 180480. that's smaller than a suburb of toronto and we have almost as many italians in toronto as there are people in phoenix; small city in comparison. how many ethiopian resturants are there in say Salt Lake City?

there are dozens in toronto:

http://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_best_ethiopian_restaurants_in_toronto/

as well as from every corner of the world. you couldnt get that in say Barrie ontario that has the population of Reno
But that's my point man. The last thing you should be worried about is eating the latest Ethiopian cuisine when you need to just worry about paying rent. That's a big luxury.

And sure, Reno is 'small' by your standards, but Phoenix is not (Greater Phoenix's 4.1 million vs Greater Torontos 5.5 million.) What about Dallas/FtWorth, etc. The list goes on of affordable places. There's little excuse for living where housing is so expensive (when you cant afford it), when there is so much housing available for cheap elsewhere with a decent lifestyle to accompany it.

Didn't say that. There are lots of "McJobs" but not enough career jobs available. However- if a person cannot afford the cost of living in one place- but would be able to somewhere else feasable, then they should move to where they can afford the cost of living.

And it doesn't really cost all that much to move, unless you have a LOT of possessions to move. In which case in a situation like we're talking about most of those should've been sold already.

The problem is most people can't make that assumption, "I can't get a job here but I most certainly can get a job there..." That's too easy and it's not realistic in most cases. That kind of stuff usually only happens to highly educated workers who get offers to move to a new part of the country to start work.

And sure, Reno is 'small' by your standards, but Phoenix is not (Greater Phoenix's 4.1 million vs Greater Torontos 5.5 million.) What about Dallas/FtWorth, etc.
One bedroom apartments in Reno rent for $666 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $771.
13.0% Unemployment
http://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-reno-rent-trends/
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/unemployment/nevada/reno/

One bedroom apartments in Phoenix rent for $616 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $798.
8.4% Unemployment
http://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-phoenix-rent-trends/
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/unemployment/arizona/phoenix/

As of September, 2011, average apartment rent within 10 miles of Dallas, TX is $1176
8.4% unemployment
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/unemployment/texas/dallas/

What else you got?

This was depressing.

I have no electricity or gas, but I made it through with 175 left.

Also, I have no car, no pet, no job, and is suffering from tooth pains. Although I do wonder if I really can't go without 5 separate medical procedures in an effing month.

If I didn't have that asshole who calls himself my kid, I wouldn't need so much money.

Also, it mentions how the poor usually become obese because the cheapest food is also unhealthy. This is just plain bullshit; if you make food of beans, vegetables, mushrooms etc. it's a lot cheaper than hamburgers and chicken. Consumption of unhealthy food stems from laziness and lack of imagination, not poverty.

Also lack of time; many people have two jobs, and often kids, and don't have time to cook proper meals whilst also having enough free time to not go insane.

Yeah, if you're working 12+hour days, getting home at 10 pm, I can see eating packaged or restaurant food as viable (pretty much me last summer). But purely based on cost, fresh vegetables are definitely the better way to go, especially if you choose wisely. Collard greens and kale are packed with vitamins and happen to be the cheapest vegetables you can possibly buy. And, many things take like 10 minutes to cook if you just boil or saute it. I can get most of my meals made in less than half an hour. They're not anything special, but it's better than packaged food. One of my pet peeves happens to be 23+ year olds who don't know (and refuse to learn) how to cook anything except spaghetti. If you can boil pasta, you can boil a freakin vegetable if you actually bothered to try.

I also just remembered that nowadays they make cheap packages of "steamfresh" frozen veggies where you literally just put the bag in the microwave for 5 minutes. Already way better than the unhealthy stuff, and just as easy. And it's not just nasty bland stuff. I recommend the green bean w/almond slivers.....

These are averages, which means the high end comes into play. If I want to rent an apartment in Scottsdale, it's going to be near $2000 a month for some 2 or 3 bedrooms, but they're going to be ultra luxurious. These cities are filled with tons of rent in the dollar ranges I gave, any quick REAL search on a rent/housing search site (not deptofnumbers, but actual realty and for rent ads) will show this to be true. If you don't make the median wage, you're obviously not going to be able to afford an apartment cost in the average range. You're going to be getting a lower end place- but they're super affordable.

This was depressing.

I have no electricity or gas, but I made it through with 175 left.

Also, I have no car, no pet, no job, and is suffering from tooth pains. Although I do wonder if I really can't go without 5 separate medical procedures in an effing month.

If I didn't have that asshole who calls himself my kid, I wouldn't need so much money.

Yeah, these are some rough choices.

I ended up with 555, but I think I got lucky because so many more bad things could've happened.

Also lack of time; many people have two jobs, and often kids, and don't have time to cook proper meals whilst also having enough free time to not go insane.
and are also also lazy and negligent when it comes to their own nutrition

Broad strokes, people. Remember, broad strokes!

So my kid needed math help, AND he's gifted? Really...

I made it out with about $200 at the end.

Back