Spike TV's 2006 Video Game Awards (will they get it right this year?)

Reaction score
Ever since its inception, Spike TV's video game awards show has been rather autrocious and generally viewed by gamers to be some of the most embarrasing two hours of "video game" related material each year. I still remember the first show: The host was David Spade ( :rolleyes: ), they announced the "Best Game of the Year" award in the first 2 minutes (that year's edition of Madden), there was no announcing of nominees, there was only about 5 minutes of actual game footage, and most of the show was filler including some live bands and a 10 minute wrestling match ( :x ).

Next year they changed the format a little bit and added more video game related material, but there was still way too much non-game-related filler. That year's host was Snoop Dog, and although he actually spent twice as much time hosting the show than David Spade, he managed to transform it into a rap concert.

Last year's award show was hosted by Samuel L. Jackson and although he actually was connected to gaming (having provided his voice for GTA: San Andreas), I couldn't bring myself to tune in after the distasterous first two attempts at the awards show. I still however went online to check the nominees and the eventual winners and I remember myself agreeing with only 3-4 of the winners chosen.

So anyway, why did I bother to devote 5 paragraphs to Spike TV's annual crapfest? Well this year's show will air on December 13th (with last year's host Samuel L. Jackson returning), but they've already announced the winners on their website, which I think is a bad strategy because why will your audience want to tune in if they know the winners? Anyway, I was looking at the nominees and the winners and I was surprised at how a lot of the winners made sense. Sure there's only one or two "real" nominees per category with the rest leaving you scratching your head, but for the most part the winners seem to be genuine (a certain female character wins the "Cyber Vixen Of The Year" category for instance ;) ). Even in the bogus categories, they've chosen some decent and deserving winners.

I won't be tuning in on December 13th this year out of spite for years past, but if the awards show continues to mature they might actually get me watching again (a long shot, but it could happen). They still however have a long way to go before they have any credibility whatsoever. So what do you think of the winners/categories/nominees/etc. and what would your choices be if you ran the show?

Here's the link to the website: http://www.spiketv.com/#/events/vga2006/index.jhtml (click on "view the winners" on the left-hand side for details).

The choices aren't so bad, really. I'd agree with most of 'em.

Last year was freaking worthless...I won't get my hopes up.

haha, Alyx won the Vixen award. :p

i wont get my hopes up either
isnt sam jackson hosting it this year?
ya, im sure he plays alot of games :|

Speaking of last year, here's the winners:

Game of the Year - Resident Evil 4

Action Game of the Year - God of War.

Best Individual Sports Game - Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

Best Team Sports Game - Madden NFL 06.

Cyber-Vixen of the Year - Maria Menounos as Eva in From Russia with
Love.

Best Game Based on a Movie - Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie.

Best Performance by a Human (male) - Jack Black in Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie.

Best Supporting Male Performance - Christopher Walken in True Crime: New York City.

Best Performance by a Human (female) - Charlize Theron in ?on Flux.

Best Supporting Female Performance - Traci Lords in True Crime: New York City.

Best Cast - Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie.

Best Original Song - "Maybe We Crazy" by 50 Cent in 50 Cent: Bulletproof.

Best Soundtrack - Guitar Hero.

Best Original Score - We ♥ Katamari.

Designer of the Year - David Jaffe for God of War.

Pontiac Best Driving Game Award - Burnout Revenge.

Most Addictive Game Fueled by Mountain Dew - World of Warcraft.

Best Fighting Game - Fight Night: Round 2.

Best First-Person Action - F.E.A.R..

Best Military Game - Call of Duty 2.

Best Graphics - Resident Evil 4.

Best Handheld Game - Lumines.

Best Multiplayer Game - World of Warcraft.

Best Breakthrough Technology - PSP.

Best PC Game - World of Warcraft.

Best Wireless Game - Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure.

Some of these are ridiculous. :LOL:

for the most part the winners seem to be genuine (a certain female character wins the "Cyber Vixen Of The Year" category for instance)

"genuine winners" + "cyber vixen of the year category" = SYSTEM ERROR: DOES NOT COMPUTE

Look, let's face facts:
If it's on Spike TV it's either a CSI rerun or it's utter shit. Or both.

Any awards ceremony with a "cyber vixen of the year category" might as well just be a test pattern superimposed with the words "We think you're stupid and, since you're watching this, we know we're right."

Spike TV used to be better untill they changed their name to Spike...

**** Spike TV, it's MTV with slightly better programming.

They shouldve had a best art direction or something of the like :| Okami definately would've won that :O

I really despise this channel. The only things making it worthwhile are MxC and Bond marathons.

I seem to agree with most of the winners.

Best thing so far is the adverts.

Mega64 has them on their site!

lol, beaten....

I think they got more of them right this year. I don't think oblivion was the most addictive game of the year though...

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Winners were announced tonight during the 4th annual Spike TV Video Game Awards held at the University of Southern California's Galen Center in Los Angeles. Hosted by Samuel L. Jackson, the year's biggest celebration for gamers premieres on Spike TV Wednesday, December 13 (10:00 PM-Midnight, ET/PT).

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks) took home five awards, the most of the night, including "Game of the Year" and "Most Addictive." Gears of War (Microsoft/Epic Games) racked up four awards including "Studio of the Year" for Epic Games.

Spike TV's 2006 Video Game Awards featured musical performances by Tenacious D and AFI and show appearances by 50 Cent, Eva Mendes, Sarah Silverman, Seth Green, Masi Oka, Hayden Panettiere, Brandon Routh, Rachael Leigh Cook, Tony Hawk, Michael Irvin, Method Man, Maria Menounos, Tyrese, Xzibit, James Gandolfini, Kurt Angle, among others. In character as Stewie Griffin and Tom Tucker from Family Guy, Seth MacFarlane served as the voice of the VGAs.

The show also featured the World Premiere of Blizzard Entertainment(R)'s opening cinematic movie for its highly anticipated upcoming expansion set, World of Warcraft(R): The Burning Crusade(TM). The three-minute clip debuts exclusively on Spike TV. World of Warcraft is the world's most popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game, with more than 7.5 million players worldwide.

The show pays tribute to the outstanding achievements of games, designers, animation, breakthrough technology, music and performances of the past year in the world of video games. The awards also provide a glimpse at the future of gaming - including exclusive sneak peeks and world premiere footage of some of the hottest and most anticipated games of 2007 and beyond.

A full list of winners is included below:

GAME OF THE YEAR
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks)

BEST INDIVIDUAL SPORTS GAME
Tony Hawk Project 8 (Activision/Neversoft)

BEST TEAM SPORTS GAME
NBA2K7 (2K Sports/Visual Concepts)

BEST SONG
"Lights and Sounds" by YellowCard in Burnout Revenge-XBOX 360 (Electronic
Arts/Criterion Games)

BEST SOUNDTRACK
Guitar Hero II (Red Octane/Harmonix)

STUDIO OF THE YEAR
Epic Games (Gears of War)

BEST WIRELESS GAME
SWAT Force (Vivendi/KAOLink)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN - MALE
Patrick Stewart in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda Softworks)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN - FEMALE
Vida Guerra in Scarface: The World is Yours (Vivendi/Radical
Entertainment)

BEST CAST
Family Guy (2K Games/High Voltage Software)

MOST ADDICTIVE

CRITIC'S CHOICE
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo/Nintendo EAD)

BEST DRIVING GAME AWARD
Burnout Revenge-XBOX 360 (Electronic Arts/Criterion Games)

BEST ACTION GAME
Dead Rising (Capcom)

CYBER VIXEN OF THE YEAR
Alyx Vance - Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (Valve)

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

BEST FIGHTING GAME
Mortal Kombat Armageddon (Midway Games)

BEST PC GAME
Company of Heroes (THQ/Relic)

BEST RPG

BEST SHOOTER
Gears of War (Microsoft/Epic Games)

BEST MILITARY GAME
Company of Heroes (THQ/Relic)

BEST GRAPHICS

BEST HANDHE GAME
New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo/Nintendo EAD)

BEST MULTI-PLAYER GAME

BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGY
WII (Nintendo)

BEST GAME BASED ON A MOVIE OR TV SHOW
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (LucasArts/Traveller's Tales)

BEST SUPPORTING MALE PERFORMANCE
James Gandolfini in The Sopranos: Road to Respect (THQ/7 Studios)

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE PERFORMANCE
Rachel Leigh Cook in Kingdom Hearts II (Square Enix)

GAMERS CHOICE: BREAKTHROUGH PERFORMANCE
Rosario Dawson in Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure
(Atari/The Collective)

GAMERS CHOICE: CHARACTER OF THE YEAR
"Jack Sparrow" portrayed by Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean: The
Legend of Jack Sparrow (Bethesda Softworks/7Studios/Buena Vista Games)

The official sponsors of Spike TV's 2006 Video Game Awards are Burger King(R), Mountain Dew, Pontiac, Stride(TM) Gum, U.S. Air Force and Verizon Wireless.

Albie Hecht and Casey Patterson serve as Executive Producers of Spike TV's 2006 Video Game Awards. Alicia Portugal is Producer and Scott Fishman is the Executive in Charge of Production. Beth McCarthy serves as director.
Gears defitnely does NOT deserve the best mutliplayer of the year.

i liked: stewie's comments, especially the one about WoW being better than sex..
awards to hl2 e1 (alyx) and coh
sam jackson and afro samurai

disliked: category "most addictive game fueled by MOUNTAIN DEW" LOL
sarah whatever-her-name-is
predictability of the whole show? it was like one award for a football or basketball game after another!

Not bad, but I can't help but feel they're still run by suits.

WoW Cinematic looked great.
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter two looks just like the origanal. D:

Best RPG = Oblivion??? While I must say that I love Oblivion, Final Fantasy XII beats the pants and shirt and socks and undies and wig off of it!!! These awards are for dummies--look at the categories ffs.

Best RPG = Oblivion??? While I must say that I love Oblivion, Final Fantasy XII beats the pants and shirt and socks and undies and wig off of it!!! These awards are for dummies--look at the categories ffs.

dude, Oblivion got game of the year too
dont get me wrong, it was good... just not GREAT

The fact that a game like Oblivion got game of the year doesn't speak very well for 2006. Company of Heroes or numerous other console titles would've made more sense. The Game of the Year should have something special, not just a pretty engine and extravagant budget.

:| That award belongs to Valve!!! It should've been: CHARACTER OF THE YEAR - Alyx Vance -- Half-Life 2: Episode One.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

These awards are shit. The program should be shut down on the basis that it's retarded.

I cried when I read this. I ****ing cried, because now I know for sure, everything in the world is completely ****ed.

These guys on Spike TV need to concider suicide, Jack sparrow my ****ing ass. I never heard of this developer anyways. The is BS. :|

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!! :angry:
Read my sig for interesting details. I will say that I am glad that Valve got atleast one award.

I enjoyed the show, didn't care much for the awards.

Back