Spotify music player is holyshitawesome

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
Anyone else get an account for Spotify yet? I just got an invite, and good golly almighty, its awesome. Might as well throw your cd/mp3 collection out (not really though, owning stuff is still good). Basically its a combination of a cloud music player (plays your own mp3 files on your computer, remotely) and a way better Pandora. You can stream full albums from almost any artist, in their entirety just by searching for them withing the software. They have a LOT of artists too. I've been looking up the more obscure bands I have (some of which are REALLY obscure) and they've had every one of them. There's also some sharing/social networking shit in it too (let your friends stream your own library and such) if you're into that. Its absolutely worth it even if you're not into those features though. The free version is unlimited as far as I'm aware, with just commercials to pay their licensing fees, but it also has a subscription version for like five bucks a month and no ads. It takes awhile for the invite to come (took 4 days for me, and 3 days for my cousin) but thats probably just because they're essentially in trial mode right now, and once they have the capacity to support a lot of users they'll open it up to immediate account creation.

I'll look into it as soon as they let New Zealand into the Cool Internet Services club.

I'll look into it as soon as they let Canada into the Cool Internet Services club.

I'll look into it as soon as I want my music listening to be internet-based and ad-supported.

I'm slightly confused here because Spotify has been around for ages in the UK. The free version used to be unlimited aside from adverts. They recently changed this so you can now only play each song a maximum of 5 times and also limits your usage to 10 hours per month. I upgraded to the £5 a month version after they implemented the aforementioned changes to the free version. I use it constantly so it's definitely well worth such a small cost.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy to see Spotify only just coming to the US. It was a huge thing when I was at university, everyone got it and used it to play songs in each other's rooms or whatever or during parties. Rather useful thing, and the cost will probably be justified if I ever get around to it.

Yea, it just became available to the U.S. I'm actually surprised it did; you know how the music industry is in this country. If you have any invites, shoot me off one. ;)

If you're suffering from the new limitations free users have then just create a new account. For the first 6 months new accounts get 20 hours of music and no limit on the number of times you play a song!

Interesting. I use Grooveshark as my online music player.
Incomparably better than Pandora. If you haven't heard of it I suggest you check it out. It also doesn't require you to have an account to listen.

I'll look into it as soon as I want my music listening to be internet-based and ad-supported.

Clearly you missed the main point of what it is. You can stream pretty much any CD ever. Not just your own collection.

My cousin just told me about this service too, very happy to hear of its success.

Yeah, I'm surprised it took them so long to launch in America. It's the main form of music-listening here by now, and is an integral part of the pre-party "culture". (People are sending playlists around, if you don't respect the queue you're ****ed, etc.)

It used to be that the free version was unlimited but with ads, but this changed about half a year ago, as Minister said. I'm surprised Americans can still get unlimited play for free. It's pretty great, especially considering the low prices, but it's not without flaws. A lot of major artists are absent (Beatles, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin to name a few), and the indie labels are getting a lot less payed than the big ones (EMI, Warner, etc.), which is really shitty of Spotify to do.

I've been using Spotify for a couple of years, Premium for maybe 6 months. I honestly couldn't imagine what I would do without it now that I've got used to it. I listen to mostly alternative rock (Muse, The National etc) and all my favorite bands are there. It makes my iPod's music player/iTunes useless, because I can get my Spotify playlists to offline mode (= dowload the songs and listen whenever I like). I still buy albums from iTunes though.

I use Grooveshark.com instead. No audio ads, no downloading any software as it's browser based and no limiting on how many times you can play a song in a day and such.

Interesting. I use Grooveshark as my online music player.
Incomparably better than Pandora. If you haven't heard of it I suggest you check it out. It also doesn't require you to have an account to listen.

This.

Spotify has shit all for music, I couldn't find most of what I wanted to listen to.

Also, ads

I used Grooveshark for a while too, very cool service and no account

I signed up free to Grooveshark purely so I could save playlists. But the fact you can use it without an account is pretty cool.

Back