Squidmod Beta 2 released.

AcousticToad

Reaction score
Sorry its taken an extra week to get up, and a different host but each time I tried to submit to hl2files I recieved a mail undelivered message.

So for the time being, its on fileplanet. Here is a link: http://www.fileplanet.com/150033/150000/fileinfo/Half-Life-2---Squid-Mod-beta-2

Here is the readme again.

Bullsquid Beta 2 - AcousticToad (Also known as Jeshembi...and many more)

Comments and suggestions to:

[email protected]

->Installation:

Unzip "Squidmod" to sourcemods and double click "squidmod" in thirdparty games.

->How to use:

When ingame, press F1 to spawn a bullsquid, The squid will choose its priorities for each target, for example, if the squid is attacking a player when an Antlion guard shows up, the squid will go and attack the guard (Guard will win though)

If the 'F1' key isn't to your liking, type 'bind <key> "npc_create npc_bullsquid" into the console

Sometimes, the squids health and damage will reset, if this occurs, goto the console and type exec squid to set its default values back. This also applies for Houndeyes.

->New additions:

->Player usable Stunstick - Use "give weapon_stunstick" or impulse 101 to get it.
->Super grav gun command - Type Impulse 12 in the console to enable the super grav gun.

->Basic Assassin - After using the npc_create_equipment <weapon> command, Press F3 to spawn a Female Assassin (HL1 model)
She has pretty basic AI, a weird red light at her feet and the chosen weapon on her waist.
Will hopefully be fixed next version to a better standard.

->Houndeyes - Using the HL1 model/textures and sounds. Only a temporary model for now but it has ragdolls.

->How to get a Houndeye? Press 'F2' to spawn one, you can also type "npc_create npc_houndeye" in the console to obtain one.

The Houndeye will try to flank its prey by zigzagging to the left or right of the target, if there is a group of 3 or more, one will take the left flank and one will take the right flank and the final one will act as a 'sitting duck' to distract its target.

->Known bugs:

Death sounds dont work, but all the rest do.
When the squid spits, it shows green spit in a black box. Yet to be fixed.
Squid Spit doesn't work. Hopefully fixed in beta 3.
You cant see the shockwave from Houndeyes, this was causing a crash. Hopefully fixed in beta 3.
With the super grav gun command enabled, killing things with any other weapon will cause them to dissapear.
Assassin...where to begin...missing animation, weapons, bugs etc. Hopefully fixed in a later version.
Main menu elements missing, as a temp fix, load maps from the console.
Squid appearing as a red 'Error' model. Not saw this first hand so I dont know if its a one off or a full bug.

Please report any other bugs, comments or suggestions to the above email.

->Next version?

Possible working Tripmine
Thirdperson Player model and view to allow player camera views.
Hammer FGD file with New items included. (Squids, Hounds etc)
Working Assassin? No promises.
Working Stalker.
Working Synth.

->Thanks to:

VALVe for leaving the code well intact and easy to understand.

Angry-Lawyer for helping me out over at VERC, couldn't have got this far without your help on classes/Anim events and much more.

To everyone who has supported Beta 1 by sending emails/bug reports.

Feel free to put this mod where ever, all I ask is that this read me be left intact with the zip file.

Somewhat related to this, if I were to ask permission from Gearbox to convert the high def squid and houndeye, who would be the best person to ask?

Since I wrote the readme i've had a couple more things working, like tripmines, although they need a new model and some tweaks to actually make them work and not change on selection.

A couple of other tweaks will come in the weapon naming department, but for now they all show up properly, not as #hl_weapon.

Thanks to everyone who has emailed with with support and comments, im hoping the next version will be much better.

-Toad.

cool......................................screens?

can you use a dif host?
i hate fileplanet! evil place!
(plus it will only let subscribers dl! wich means you have to pay for dls that should be free! greedy bastards!)
EDIT: you can use: http://www.fastuploads.info/

kenyo said:
can you use a dif host?
i hate fileplanet! evil place!
(plus it will only let subscribers dl! wich means you have to pay for dls that should be free! greedy bastards!)
EDIT: you can use: http://www.fastuploads.info/

make a free account on FP then download. You dont pay.

The file is too big for fast uploads, I would have preferred a host other than FP, but all the other free hosting either never worked or had an upload limit.

Yombi said:
make a free account on FP then download. You dont pay.
i do have a free account,
but when i try to dl your file it only shows the paying subscriber dl link!
(it wont show the public link!)

kenyo said:
i do have a free account,
but when i try to dl your file it only shows the paying subscriber dl link!
(it wont show the public link!)

I'm having the same exact problem.

Looks promising, but as already stated, fileplanet is screwing around... The DL links won't show.

Free Public Servers: Non-subscribers can use these on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Servicing: East Coast - DLM, USA
Provided By: FilePlanet
Users: 229/229
Wait Time: 17 minutes

^^ I can see a public one just fine.. free download.

Downloading now..

I would like to see the Alien Grunts, Controllers, Shock Troopers or whatever, and some other cool enemys that were in HL1.
*downloads it*

When I get to the new game screen, I click "start new game" and nothing happens.

Yeah im unsure why that happens, as a temp method, load maps from the console.

The bullsquids and assassins just come up as "ERROR" text that moves around. The houndeyes are there, though, cool job!

-Kato

Kato said:
The bullsquids and assassins just come up as "ERROR" text that moves around. The houndeyes are there, though, cool job!

-Kato

I have no idea why that happens :( I've had a couple of people email me with questions on why it happens, but i've not experienced it first hand. Does your console say anything that might be a clue on fixing it?

Thanks to DreadLord for the alternate hosting :E :cheers:

We need some high poly textures... like the beta bullsquid that was a great model
great job btw i am going to skin the houndleyes a littel

I'm suprised all this leak stuff hasn't been stomped yet...

What leak stuff?

An update on whats coming in beta 3:

Tau Cannon (Gauss gun) is now back in, you can get it from the jeeps ammo box. Since its attached to the jeep anyway, might as well keep a spare in the back heh.

Immolator weapon, dunno what it does yet but it was in the unsed code, by the sounds of things its a portable strider cannon.

Flaregun, Sets fire to people i guess judging by the code.

A couple more little things that i cant remember, once I do remember i'll post them.

Thanks to everyone who is sending email bug reports to me, im trying to fix all the errors that are reported.

AcousticToad said:
What leak stuff?

An update on whats coming in beta 3:

Tau Cannon (Gauss gun) is now back in, you can get it from the jeeps ammo box. Since its attached to the jeep anyway, might as well keep a spare in the back heh.

Immolator weapon, dunno what it does yet but it was in the unsed code, by the sounds of things its a portable strider cannon.

Flaregun, Sets fire to people i guess judging by the code.

A couple more little things that i cant remember, once I do remember i'll post them.

Thanks to everyone who is sending email bug reports to me, im trying to fix all the errors that are reported.

nice but where are you going to get the models?

Yay, this mods seems to be the One to bring in all the things cut from HL2. And that is good. You should really get some hi-res models for bullsquid and houndeye (good for me to say, I cant model a thing)

And oh yeah, in some distant future, maybe you could mod all these weapons/monsters into the original single play and make it a playable singleplayer mod? Shouldnt be so hard, just add monsters to places you think suit for the creatures and remove some, so it wont be crowded. And replace some ammo with guns and youre all set. If I could use SDK, I could do it for you :)

Please DO NOT use the skins from HL2 Beta. I absolutely LOVE the HL1 skin, and the HL2 beta is too...red. Blood red. Almost no yellow. I hate it.

On the subject of why the assassins and bullsquids don't work: I don't know. The console says nothing helpful, but I can get a shot if you want...

-Kato

Inflame007 said:
We need some high poly textures...

High poly textures eh? Sounds like a nice invention.

Anyways, works great for me.

At the moment, all they really do is stand around and waste any weapon you give them (ar2/smg/pistol/rpg etc) then they will just run up and start spin kicking on the spot.

Hopefully once a decompiler that decompiles the full qc files is released I can get a custom model in (for all of them) but all the custom ones do is run on the spot due to LX LY LZ rotation things, and to be honest I aint got a clue how to do them...or character modelling, weapon moddeling i can handle but characters are beyond me. That said, I did smooth off the bullsquid, increased its polycount by around 25% (no lag ingame too), added some spikes running down his back and edited his tail to include spikes.

As for skinning, im totally balls at it, I tried to make the squid skin a little different by using one of the pre build patterns with psp 7 trial (it just refuses to run out lol) but when it was applied to the model it turned it into a weird blue color.

I was actually trying to find stuff on the net on how to insert objects&npc's into levels directly since people had modified versions of de_dust in the CS:S beta. The only problem is most of the valve maps are upwards of 10mb so the file size could be pretty huge.

For a laugh, I was going to make the Houndeyes neutral towards the player and controllable via the bugbait, but that idea went balls up because they would still hurt the player.

The Tau cannon is working pretty good so far, although it does require the user to execute a config file every time a map loads as the ammo gets reset to 30, im working on fixing that.

I added the blue beam physgun earlier, nothing major and it'll probably be removed next release unless people want it in?

As for leak material, I neither have the will nor ability to use any stuff from it, I haven't and never will play it or use any content from it, so you dont need to worry about a dodgy skin or file coming along in this mod.

In all, a screen of the console would be great for any model problems, it might help me track them down for good.

I meant to include killable stalkers in this release but I forgot :( Too bad they dont move due to the aforementioned QC file thing, but you can still choose the beam power in Hammer and kill them a few times to make them fall in funny places.

As I mentioned in the readme file, I will release a custom fgd file so people with hammer can add everything thats been added to maps, although they would only be availiable within the mod structure.

One quick question to the peeps with model probs, what Direct X mode are you running in? I have a hunch that the problem may lie with the lod controls on the model.

Thanks for the comments people, im aiming for next week, maybe Tuesday/Wednesday for the next release.

-Toad

I meant high poly models...sorry
And the main problem of the bullsquid textures that they are too streched...

www.yousendit.com is a nice host, and files max of a gig aswell :E I have never had any trouble using it

New small progress update:

Immolator is out, dunno what the hell its meant to do apart from fire a weird spikey green laser at people which causes no damage at all.

In its place is the Irifle and Sniper rifle. It's currently using the crossbow model. Its quite powerful at long range too, a head or chest shot on a humanoid character will result in instant death most of the time. I wish I could be bothered to learn proper modeling, then temp stuff wouldn't have to be in. Arg :(

Im trying to get it so the blue lasers from the snipers will appear on the weapon. It may be in the next release, it may not...time will tell.

It has a 30 round total for the ammo, but only 1 round can be in the chamber at any given time.

The Irifle is the same weapon from the e3_tunnels vid from '03, you fire it at people and they go up in flames, it wont burn antlion guards, houndeyes or bullsquids though. It has a 15 round clip with a max of 60 and a long reload time since each one has to be loaded one by one, although you can stop the reload any time by pressing the fire button.

Im still planning for a Tuesday release, or whatever I said earlier, I cant remember as I was out most of yesterday/today...I think...urg.

Cheers for all the feedback via posts/email.

-Toad.

Back