Star Wars: The Old Republic

Bioware has officially revealed all crafting skills.

Gathering Skills
  • Archaeology – the ability to seek out imbued items like Lightsaber crystals and ancient artifacts
  • Bioanalysis – the practice of collecting genetic material from creatures and plants
  • Scavenging – the art of recovering useful materials and parts from old or damaged technology
  • Slicing – a skill in accessing secured computer systems and lockboxes to acquire valuable data and rare schematics

Crafting Skills
  • Armormech – the ability to work with hard metals and electronic shielding to construct all types of personal armor
  • Armstech – the skill of constructing blasters, blaster rifles and upgrades
  • Artifice – the delicate work of constructing Jedi and Sith artifacts
  • Biochem –the engineering of performance-enhancing chemical serums and biological implants
  • Cybertech – the technical expertise to construct gadgets and components for Droids and high-tech armors
  • Synthweaving – the art of creating lighter outfits and armors that are imbued with supernatural qualities

Mission Skills
  • Diplomacy – the art of conducting and managing negotiations
  • Investigation – the skill of examining evidence and following clues to discover valuable secrets
  • Treasure Hunting – the ability to track down and recover valuable items by investigating a series of clues
  • Underworld Trading – expertise in the trading of illegal goods and services

Unofficial trailer for the Imperial Operative class, made by a beta leaker:

*warning, vague spoilers*

Mostly cutscenes I believe, but hey, it's a trailer ;)

Release date and subscription costs have been revealed. It's out December 20th in North America and December 22nd in Europe.

1 Month Subscription: $14.99 (£8.99/€12.99)
3 Month Subscription: $13.99 per month (one-time charge of $41.97/£25.17/€35.97)
6 Month Subscription: $12.99 per month (one-time charge of $77.94/£46.14/€65.94)

Seems pretty typical.

Release date and subscription costs have been revealed. It's out December 20th in North America and December 22nd in Europe.
Seems pretty typical.

Still no word on early access.

Also, weird release date. I already feel for the customer service department. They will have a busy Christmas.

I'm very disappointed in Bioware over all this.

Not that they could disappoint me more after DA and DA2, however.

What precisely disappoints you?

Looks like EU customer support for swtor will be based in Galway.

Well, it looks boring, that's the biggest part.
Then how they raped the canon, at least WoW waited until the first expansion to do that. I won't post specifics here because some people get whiny over NDAs.
The art style. The unoriginality.
Clinging to traditional MMO fare.
The terrible writing, from what I've seen.

It's not kotor anymore. It's a cash in.

I've decided not to buy this game... at least not at release... and possibly not beyond that.

While at first I found it very entertaining and engaging, once the novelty wears of you're really sitting on another MMO. It doesn't do a lot to branch out from there. This all hit me when I started doing group missions. First people blazed through everything and did the standard squeezing around corners and skipping every enemy and non-required thing possible to get the best loot in the least possible time, just like every other MMO. Then I thought I'd try healing, where I was met with a disappointing two healing spells that I was spamming just like every other MMO. The only innovative aspect was the depth at which they write each mission. However, it gets to a point where you're like "Hey random droid, I don't care about the reason you want me to shut down this machine." Like I said before, it's a lot of novelty that doesn't hold up.

I don't think it's really as much the game as it is me being jaded by years and years of MMOs. I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy it and play it religiously and it will make a bunch of money because it's Star Wars and it's not terrible... but I just can't justify paying for the game, a monthly subscription, and dealing with EA's bullshit just to feel like I'm back in WoW or AO being pissed off I can't play a non-healer or non-tank role because it will take me four hours to get into a half decent group to go speed-run through content that I would like to at least stop for a second and admire. I'm sure at some point in the future someone will make an MMORPG with enough innovation to make me want to give the genre a new shot, but until then I'll stick to games that allow me to play them at my own pace and actually enjoy them.

Just a side note, I bet it's the most demeaning thing imaginable to be a designer for an MMO. You spend days and months establishing an environment that's beautifully designed and crafted to a point where you'd say "bitches gonna love this shit" and then 99.9% of the people playing in it are working as hard as they can to get out of there as fast as possible... and the only time you hear anything about the design is when you find out someone used the architecture to exploit in some fashion.

Cool. I appreciate the excellent writeup and it actually made the game sound more appealing to me, as I love the kind of game you described. Certified WoW addict here.

Can I get your beta account? Plenty of room in my PM box.

Much love,

BabyHeadCrab

The novel by Karpyshyn was leaked. Kotor 2 was retconned.

<"millions of voices crying out and suddenly being silenced" joke>

Well, it looks boring, that's the biggest part.
Then how they raped the canon, at least WoW waited until the first expansion to do that. I won't post specifics here because some people get whiny over NDAs.
The art style. The unoriginality.
Clinging to traditional MMO fare.
The terrible writing, from what I've seen.

It's not kotor anymore. It's a cash in.

Word up bro.They won't be getting my money either.That's coming from someone that owns many EA titles and is a Star Wars fan.But I won't stand for this shit.

I give it a month.
That's being generous, I didn't even give Champions Online that long.

I'll buy it and play for a month or two anyway to enjoy the Bioware stories, quests etc. After that? I'm not committing to anything yet.

About gameplay originality etc. well Bioware games have never been particularly revolutionary when it comes to game mechanics and the like. I wasn't expecting much new in that area.

Friend of mine got into the beta, so I'm going to investigate this pretty heavily before even considering investing in it.

The hype machine / polish and Star Wars / ads alone will give it longer than any MMO since WoW. That's not saying it'll topple WoW, because it won't, but the branding alone will go a long way.

A relative term in the MMO world. Did you happen to play WoW on release?

Always knew this game was going to be shite.

Has anyone here been able to check out the beta, yet? One of my housemates got in and he's letting me check his account out this weekend. From what little I've seen him play, it actually looks good. From what he has said, each class has its own unique quest chain, and the game in general is storydriven enough that it feels like KOTOR 3.

Played it. Love it to death can't wait until launch / early access. Questing plays out just like KotoR, flash points allow for group decision making - it's awesome. Gotta give it 7-10 hours for the class quest to develop. I suggest some variant of Jedi or Sith for optimal story awesomeness.

I played in last weekend's beta. Definitely a top game if you enjoy the genre with its associated mechanics etc. Not a revolutionary game in any way, but a good evolutionary step.

I started playing last night, I've definitely been enjoying it. I keep thinking that I have to save whenever I finish quests, because it really doesn't feel like an MMO to me. I've got a Sith Warrior at level 9, about to spec into a Marauder, annnd a Bounty Hunter around level 5. I'm definitely leaning towards picking this up.

Not a revolutionary game in any way, but a good evolutionary step.

As far as MMOs go, I think it is kind of revolutionary. The amount of cutscenes and voiceacting (and the quality of each) certainly isn't anything I've seen done in such a game before.

I'd rather play Dragons Age 2, instead of this crap.

I played it. It's boring and generic.

This. Also not to mention really, really ugly looking.
I think the only place that was nice to look at from the couple of classes I played was the "sith homeworld". All the other starting locations looked so awful IMO.
But yeah, generic MMO in a Star Wars setting. It has dialogue options and your character speaks from what I recall, but that isn't that great as the dialogue options are of course limited to "mean", "nice", or "I'm a cool guy"

I guess it was okay to play a stormtrooper because it seems fitting to play a clone in an MMO.

As far as MMOs go, I think it is kind of revolutionary. The amount of cutscenes and voiceacting (and the quality of each) certainly isn't anything I've seen done in such a game before.

Age of Conan had similar quality and quantity of story, voiceover etc. for the first 20(?) levels. Swtor goes well beyond that but I wouldn't say it's revolutionary.

Age of Conan had similar quality and quantity of story, voiceover etc. for the first 20(?) levels. Swtor goes well beyond that but I wouldn't say it's revolutionary.

Ah I did not know that.

If there were 3 factions I might consider playing, PvP is going to be boring as ****

Who would be your first choice for a third faction?

It's enough to me that modern MMOs see fit to divide their player base in half with every major damn release.

I like how they take out the choice and just straight tell you if what you're going to say will net you light or dark side points.
Gameplay is generic WoW and doesn't feel like Star Wars at all. Too many Jedi in general after Kotor2- oh wait, 2 never happened. Nevermind.
I played a Counselor, and my storyline involved getting the very first jedi weapon's hilt and making a lightsaber out of it.

Come the **** on. It's an MMO. Stop trying to say I'm special Bioware, because I'm not.

The cutscenes and voice acting would be nice if the story wasn't garbage, but it is. I didn't feel invested really at all. Maybe because it's an MMO that's trying to be a single player game.

Read that post out loud literally in the voice of the Simpsons comic book guy. Congratulations, best post of the month already.

No, I'm making fun of you.

I mean... you are special. Don't let Bioware, or anyone else let you believe otherwise.

Whoops, mis-clicked. Wanted the skyrim thread.

Early access will start on the 13th.

Also, the game is available for pre-load.

Back