Star Wars

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Probably everyone has seen the movies. Yes, the one with the lasers and the choke-gripping guy on life-support.

People have said that it is just a recreational movie, fit for kids and adults alike.

But really, is it? Or is it anarchist propaganda? :O

In the Episodes 4 - 6, the rebel 'alliance' fights against the Galactic Empire. Of course, the rebels are glorified and the Empire is seen as 'evil'. The rebels go through 'heroic' ventures and finally defeats the Empire in a battle in space. The Rebels win, just as predicted. Somehow, the rebels have star cruisers and ion cannons in the movies, when in the real world, they would be lucky to have a RPG launcher.

Perhaps to make the movie more fun? Probably not. Star Wars is just a propaganda film glorifying dissent, terrorism, and rebellions against the peace and stability of goverment.

In the newer episode (1 - 3), there is the old republic. Its is breaking apart and already has rebels attacking. Palpatine realizes the need for unity in the time of war, and especially from the fundamentalist cult of the Jedi. In the beginings of Episode 2, Anakin Skywalker says to the pub's guests: "Jedi buisiness, mind your drinks." and things go normal as before, despite having someone amputated by a laser sword. This implies that it must have happened before, and often. The jedi are not just a religious cult, but a secret police force of the autocratic rule of the Republic. After staging a completely democratic coup and starting the Empire, Palpatine eliminates the Jedi cult by military force, and the audience can see that the Jedi even train the children as suicide death squads.

The remenants of the cult scatter around the galaxy and they appear in the other older episodes. We have luke, eager to join the insurgency against the empire and also joins the jedi cult. A religion that has almost extinguished. Luke allys himself with a criminal, Han Solo, who is a smuggler. And you know the rest of the story, breaking into prisons, destroying public property, murdering soldiers, and other various evil deeds.

But the movies glorifys these acts of terror and even has the somehow strong rebel force win, with little seen loss. The justifications for the acts are unclear, at best, and makes us wonder: Is George Lucas trying to plague our minds with this dangerous notion that we could somehow win against the Marines, the Army, the Police, the Airforce, and even the democratically elected goverment of our society?

Note: I was just trying to find alternative ways to interpret movies and books, thanks to our school's english class. This was my short essay for it. :p

What's with you subservient orients?

Can't you question authority like normal people? :dozey:

Oh wait...

:LOL:

Bwahahaha. Funny read.

You should get good grades on that, actually.

He actually has a good point. The Jedi are pretty much the Gestapo in the new movies: they can break laws, kill who they deem bad, brainwash children from youth to believe in their values...

Viperidae said:
He actually has a good point. The Jedi are pretty much the Gestapo in the new movies: they can break laws, kill who they deem bad, brainwash children from youth to believe in their values...
But they are moral and value life and liberty. This is how they are not like the Gestapo.

_Z_Ryuken said:
But they are moral and value life and liberty. This is how they are not like the Gestapo.

Yes, they value liberty and life by killing/amputating people with laser swords, damning people as evil without trial. :p

I should have also added that the Jedi have a strong influence in politics in my essay, btw. :) I wonder what my teachers gonna grade me. I still have to hand in 2 more essays, though. And have to figure out what to choose...

15357 said:
Yes, they value liberty and life by killing/amputating people with laser swords, damning people as evil without trial. :p
Example?

It happened twice in ep. 3

Yeah, Starwars is a questionable source of morality. Tell me something I don't know.

Still, the point of starwars in the new episodes (which lucas utterly failed at making clear) is that the jedi are, in fact, jerks as well.
They're exactly the kind of pseudo-benevolent dictatorship that numbername has the hots for.

In the end of the last movie of the series, the moral is to balance both sides.

They're sucky movies nonetheless though.
Yes, all of them.
The starwarses are good in the sense that the Jurassic Park series was good: not very, but with great eye candy and passable characters to distract from the problems for two hours.

15357 said:
Probably everyone has seen the movies. Yes, the one with the lasers and the choke-gripping guy on life-support.

People have said that it is just a recreational movie, fit for kids and adults alike.

In the Episodes 4 - 6, the rebel 'alliance' fights against the Galactic Empire. Of course, the rebels are glorified and the Empire is seen as 'evil'. The rebels go through 'heroic' ventures and finally defeats the Empire in a battle in space. The Rebels win, just as predicted. Somehow, the rebels have star cruisers and ion cannons in the movies, when in the real world, they would be lucky to have a RPG launcher.

Perhaps to make the movie more fun? Probably not. Star Wars is just a propaganda film glorifying dissent, terrorism, and rebellions against the peace and stability of goverment.

In the newer episode (1 - 3), there is the old republic. Its is breaking apart and already has rebels attacking. Palpatine realizes the need for unity in the time of war, and especially from the fundamentalist cult of the Jedi. In the beginings of Episode 2, Anakin Skywalker says to the pub's guests: "Jedi buisiness, mind your drinks." and things go normal as before, despite having someone amputated by a laser sword. This implies that it must have happened before, and often. The jedi are not just a religious cult, but a secret police force of the autocratic rule of the Republic. After staging a completely democratic coup and starting the Empire, Palpatine eliminates the Jedi cult by military force, and the audience can see that the Jedi even train the children as suicide death squads.

The remenants of the cult scatter around the galaxy and they appear in the other older episodes. We have luke, eager to join the insurgency against the empire and also joins the jedi cult. A religion that has almost extinguished. Luke allys himself with a criminal, Han Solo, who is a smuggler. And you know the rest of the story, breaking into prisons, destroying public property, murdering soldiers, and other various evil deeds.

But the movies glorifys these acts of terror and even has the somehow strong rebel force win, with little seen loss. The justifications for the acts are unclear, at best, and makes us wonder: Is George Lucas trying to plague our minds with this dangerous notion that we could somehow win against the Marines, the Army, the Police, the Airforce, and even the democratically elected goverment of our society?

Note: I was just trying to find alternative ways to interpret movies and books, thanks to our school's english class. This was my short essay for it. :p

well, your idea has already been written about.

Well damn... It seems that my idea wasn't original. :(

Evenb if you don't agree with the points raised, you have to agree it's a clever way of interpreting it.

-Angry Lawyer

You are right about the Jedi council thinking about it. They are bastard shits.

However, the rebels in general rebelling against Vader and Palpatine are justified.

So, getting rid of the council would have been justified. But after that was done they seized control and did not continue on a philanthropic path. Palpatine was just power hungry himself along with Vader, and they become even worse (Destroying the planet with the Death Star, for example)

Thus the rebels represented in 3-6 are justified.

15357 said:

I hope you get a damn good mark for that.

smoke said:
I hope you get a damn good mark for that.

Heh, me too. :D

I still have to write 2 more. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking about 1984....

And why did this get moved?

:upstare: cartoon politics masquerading as real world propaganda ..now that's a stretch

Adidajs said:
well, your idea has already been written about.

That article failed to mention the enslavement of the wookies, that's just cause for a rebellion IMO. Free the wookies!

The KOTOR games presented the philosophy/morality/politics of the Star Wars universe far better than Lucas did. Actually, just about everything did from the books to the comics to the KOTOR games. Lucas is just in it for the big bucks. Notice how he hasn't done much with movies except for Star Wars and Indiana Jones?

And Spielberg helped him with Indy too. I remember reading an article a long time ago that claimed Lucas' original script for SW was only a few pages long.

I think it's because Lucas isnt all that sophisticated ..he's still a teenager in terms of his writing ..so one dimensional. When he sticks with that formula it works great (raiders of lost ark) but when he tries adult fare he misses the mark bigtime (woody allen light: radioland murders, American graffetti: the cast made the film, not the script)

Lucas used to be in it for the films. American Graffiti and THX 1138 are prime examples. Then, he started making a lot of money and just...didn't care anymore. He didn't even direct the best Star Wars movie, Empire Strikes Back. I mean, even Coppola didn't stop after the Godfather.

THX is rather great. Definitely under-rated in my opinion.
After that, though, it's a quick, steep drop downhill.

The one thing I hate the most in a movie is wasted potential.

There's a website out in the vastness of the internet (http://www.stardestroyer.net - see the Episode Reaction sections) that spends page upon page upon page explaining why the prequels actually do make sense.

Reading it over, the criticism of the sequels shouldn't be that they're full of plot holes. The actual story is pretty solid with the plausibility.

The problem comes from the fact that whoever wrote the story didn't understand it enough to make a movie out of it. If we're to believe that Lucas wrote the prequels, then we also have to believe that he didn't comprehend his own themes and intentions.

There comes a point when looking over that site where you realize that this one obsessed fan making up excuses is a more competent storyteller than the entire cast and crew of the movie. (That's not saying much, mind you.)

Really, the entire story relies critically on Vader and whatsherface being two emotionally messed-up kids in a dysfunctional relationship.
For the movie to have worked, the one fundamental thing was to make them realistically and compellingly flawed, yet still remotely likeable.

What we got in the movies, however, was a vader with three settings: "slap-happy jackass", "emo", and "suddenly genocidal".
Meanwhile Portman had one emotion: "I am standing here vaguely confused."

Their entire dialogue was stuff like "I am in love with you. I love being in love with your love." so instead of getting nuanced characters, we have a retard and a mannequin standing still in a room yelling "LOVE" at eachother.

The acting in the old trilogy wasn't great either, but at least the actors didn't need much subtlety.
Because the entire plot didn't rely on two characters making a series of terrible decisions without looking stupid in the process.

Wait wait wait. How exactly are the Jedi a religion and a Cult?? You never mentioned the good qualities. For one thing, if there was no Palpatine, Coup De Tah ing himself into power, sending Sith to destroy Jedi, there would be no problem. That would cause no rebellion, no dictatorship, no Sith. Speaking of the part in Ep.2 when Anakin tells them to go back to their drinks, he is using the Force to keep from any outrage or rioting. There was very little negative talk of the Jedi, mabey the jealous people were upset. And for the Rebellion, if the Military inforced sudden rules on the people, there is obvious to be a revolution. The Galactic Civil War, is just like The American Revolution, or the American Civil War. But it comes to this, what is right and what is wrong is totally based on a perspective that is usually influenced in some certain mean. If you can recall, most of the Storm Troopers are Clone Troopers. They were Genetically Engineered to follow almost any order from an Officer. That's the influence there. For the Rebels, they didn't believe in a Dictatorship. They are obviously going to do something about them. But it really depends on the point of view, most people didn't discriminate the Empire out of fear. People also hated the Rebels because they believed it would disturb the peace and inforce harsher laws on the Public. But think about it, without Palpatine, would there have been any Jedi hate or GCW?

15357 said:

Not to nitpick, but it's most definitely not anarchist.

Zombie said:
I thought it was a kid's movie...

It really is, but there is ALOT of backround to it that isn't kid friendly. Most kids would never pay attention to that, so in essence, it can be for adults too.

You can make a social commentary on Dora the ****ing Explora, it's nothing new.

There should be a Tarantino star wars remake. "Find me those mother****ing plans!"

CptStern said:
:upstare: cartoon politics masquerading as real world propaganda ..now that's a stretch

Uh, not really.
Chancellor Palpatine: "You're either with us, or you're our enemy" (more or less those words), from Revenge Of The Sith. That's a rather pointed choice of words, given the similarity to another, famous speech of recent years.
"Nute Gunray" as a prime agitator in a capitalist-motivated conspiracy/revolution.
The use of an artificial, constructed threat to justify a police state and a leader continuing it's power beyond their elected remit.

Some of this is a generalised historical parallel, but I would be very suprised if some of it wasn't meant to be a contemporary reflection.

Ennui said:
Not to nitpick, but it's most definitely not anarchist.

Yeah, its kinda lost in translation. The Korean word for anarchist means disestablishmentarian loosely while also meaning liberal-ist and also insurgent.

Even though my username is from starwars I hardly EVER! watch starwars. I am more into Superman that starwars.

Please do not tempt me in extrapolating my film professor's overtly sexual interpretation of the destruction of the Death Star. You know, X and Y chromosomes setting off a chain reaction in trenches and what not by shooting stuff into stuff and exhaling greatly after doing so...

I wholheartedly diagree with everything, and I mean everythign that the guy in that article says.

Yes, the senate is bloated an ineffective, yes the jedi's are aristocratic. But that is the whole point of the freaking story!

Somehow he thinks its good that palpatine becomes a dictator? This is repeated constantly in history, thats the point of the whole story. There is a democracy, there is a crisis, someone rises into power and gets "emergency" powers, and then keeps them.

Caesar
Hitler
Stalin
Bush

It doens't matter if the dictator is "benevolent", the point is that dictatorships are inherently bad, because even if you have a benevolent dictator, the next is likely to be worse. I don't really like the Jedi, but the republic and the rebels were sure as hell better than a massive, corrupt dictatorship.

I thought at first that Star Wars was an allegory for the american revolution, but soon learned that it was an allegory for the rise of rome, and then a story about the american revolution.

Even if the Jedi do suck, the republic still stands for what counts: democracy and self rule.

theotherguy said:
I wholheartedly diagree with everything, and I mean everythign that the guy in that article says.

Me, or the other guy?

Back