Stargate Universe - Promo

I'll throw my two cents into the ring and say that the second episode (Air: Part 3) really impressed the hell out of me. John Scalzi is one of my favorite authors, and he's the creative consultant on Stargate Universe, and I see his fingerprints all over this show.

I was not really a fan of the other two series, but so far this is playing directly to what I'm interested in for a sci-fi series. Almost everything is understated and character-centric, and theres no evil empire/evil aliens/evil force forcing the forces of good against the forces of evil. Not that there is anything wrong with that type of plot, but it seems to crop up in almost every sci-fi show. Instead they've laid it out as a survival plot for the time being, with the characters just having to deal with staying alive. There is no really good reason that Stargate needed a new series so soon, so I'm glad to see they're taking some serious chances and going in an entirely different direction.

I just finished the fourth episode (Darkness), and it didn't do anything to change my opinion. No crazed aliens, laser battles, or explosions. Just a lot of solid character interaction and an attempt to be realistic about the psychology of people in survival situations.

For the very reasons you like it, I hate it. Whatever if that's how you like your sci-fi, enjoy the show...

In the mean time I'll take a look at episode 4, it's going to probably be the last one I watch.

Yeah, I'm not under the impression that its something everyone should like. I'd suggest that anyone who is curious check it out on Hulu when they get a chance (or a similar site). I only checked it out a whim, and I'd bet that some other people who would enjoy it are just ignoring it.

i'm liking it so far. nice new take on the stargate franchise. Sure it's remniscent of BSG, but like someone else said, if you're gonna steal, might as well steal from the best.

The 4th episode was really good, Robert is showing his acting class.

Liked the last episode. Not too sure why Rush would of deceived them tbh, unless he was out purely to **** with the captain (whilst potentially killing the shuttle crew). It sure seemed like he was resigned to dying, and was surprised everything worked when it did.

Also gotta say after episode 4 I have this strange feeling that the brunette lieutenant really needs to be in the show a lot more ;)

I just noticed this thread. I've been watching it. I'm up to episode 6 or 7. I really like it. It's not perfect or anything, but interesting none the less.

I honestly can't be arsed with anything Stargate anymore. I mean, I'm still a huge SG-1 fan but once they messed with the shows dynamic (ie taking characters out of it) I just lost interest.

I tried watching Atlantis but hated it, and watched the first ep of Universe and thought it was terrible.

SG-1? I only saw the movie, with the ridiculous lizard men that remove their armor to talk trash in languages that the humans wouldn't understand anyway, even when still in combat; the bad acting, bad special effects, bad script.. was there anything good about that?

SG-1 was fantastic.
Although, the series itself doesn't really pick up until about the 5th season.

Whereas the end of the 8th, 9th, and 10th were my favorites... mostly due to Ben Browder, Claudia Black, and Beau Bridges.

It's a really fun ride and a great show all around.

SG-1? I only saw the movie, with the ridiculous lizard men that remove their armor to talk trash in languages that the humans wouldn't understand anyway, even when still in combat; the bad acting, bad special effects, bad script.. was there anything good about that?

Original movie = shit

SG1 series = cheesy gold

They changed all the actors for the series anyway and actually managed to make it into something enjoyable.

I'm renting the 1st half of Season 1 on bluray and its a good show. Also take note that i'm 12 episodes into Season 1 of SG-1 and i won't think they'll conflict too much but since I have the entire collection of SG-1 I'm going to watch all things Stargate, I love the series overall so far and Sci-fi TV shows are fun

SG-1 was fantastic.
Although, the series itself doesn't really pick up until about the 5th season.

Eh? Season 5 is where the decline started. Although admittedly the show didn't get properly bad until they got a spaceship in season 6. That's when they should either have killed the franchise, or at least SG-1 and moved on with Atlantis.

By now, this franchise has been alive for way too long. Time to die.

Really? I thought it got much more entertaining by the time Anubis rolled around.
Also brought in more arc-based episodes.

Can't say I ever really hated the show that much at any time, except for Daniel Jackson who I kept hoping would just ****ing die already to the very end of the series.

anyone keeping up with this? i have and find that it's steadily improving. while it does make me miss BSG it's nice to still have a pure space-based scifi show on the air. good soundtrack and visuals.

For a TV show, it's good.

I was watching it, but missed the last 6 episodes. I'll catch up when I get a chance.

I'm glad they stopped with "OH GAWD I'M GONNA DIE, NO WAIT I'M FREE I'LL LIVE FOR ANOTHER DAY! HORAY!"

Watched a few more episodes starting with 11. I liked episode 11 with the alien ship. Also in another episode I really like that scene where they encounter a weird alien dinosaur thing that chases them to the gate. I just wish they would cut back on the damn drama and put more scenes like this... In my opinion Stargate is all about discovering strange planets and kicking alien butt, not "OMG I'm going to have a baby!?". :rolleyes:

Also whoever is doing the score is trying way to hard to mimic Vangelis (specifically the bladerunner soundtrack)

I'm catching up on the episodes today. This would be awesome if they had a massive motion picture budget, so the planets they visit wouldn't look like Earth.

I'm catching up on the episodes today. This would be awesome if they had a massive motion picture budget, so the planets they visit wouldn't look like Earth.

at least they've been doing a comparatively good job of diversifyng up the enviros a bit when compared to the earlier stargate series where every damn planet looked like vancouver forest.

we've got a few desert, desolate, jungle, and ice planets here and there so far

Yeah, I liked the planets okay enough so far. I had forgotten about all of them except the desert until you mentioned it.

The one in episode 12? was what I was referring to. It was disappointing. Could have at least used a camera filter or filmed at at sunrise or sunset. Meh, maybe less interesting to me since it looks like the area where I've spent my entire life.

Oh man, Episode 17 was awesome! This show can be somewhat scary at times, especially on such a dark and cold ship.

omg yes! its matured quite a bit and I'd have to say that its really growing on me. I'd rather watch this show than finish Dexter Season 4 tbh.

going to watch the season finale, is anyone else still watching this cool show?? it definitely got better as it went along. next season also gets 20 episodes too

going to watch the season finale, is anyone else still watching this cool show?? it definitely got better as it went along. next season also gets 20 episodes too

I'm still watching it. The finale was OK, although I'm kind of disappointed that

the outside threat, that wreaked havoc with the ship's electronics, and disintegrated a Lucian Alliance soldier was just a pulsar... I was expecting MOAR ALIENS GOD DAMN IT!

I bet next season will have a lord of the flies vibe going with the Lucian Alliance & SGC soldiers.

I really dislike cliffhangers, this one is going to be rough to wait for

Back