Steam Hardware Pre-Orders Now Available

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
The time is nearly upon us, and the first batch of Steam Hardware gets closer by the day! As of today at 10am PST, pre-orders for Valve's brand of "Steam Hardware" are available from the Steam Hardware page, GameStop, EB Games, Micromania, and GAME UK, depending on your location. This means the Steam Controller, Steam Link, and Steam Machines will simultaneously launch in North America and parts of Europe at the same time, with the rest of the world to likely follow shortly after.

For those who may not remember, the Steam Controller is Valve's attempt at bridging the wide gap between "the precision of a mouse" and the "familiarity of the controller", and the Steam Link will allow users to easily stream game content across their home from their PC to a connected TV regardless of whether or not it also has a computer attached. Valve's official trailer for the Steam Controller has a lot more information to share, which you can check out below.

Those who pre-order either of the devices or an Alienware Steam Machine will receive their products on October 16th 2015, several weeks ahead of the official launch on November 10th. At the current time, the Steam Machine and the Steam Link are available for £39.99/$49.99, while the price of Steam Machines varies heavily depending on their brand and technical specifications.

The Steam Controller, Steam Link, and Steam Machines are all reportedly only available in limited quantities during the pre-order period, meaning they could sell out rather fast. With that said, be sure to head on over to the Steam Hardware page or the home page of your "local" online retailer to pre-order now if you're interested.

pre-ordered
ATTENTION: It didnt tell me shipping price until after the purchase, or I was blind. I have to pay 7€ extra for shipping to Germany.

pre-ordered
ATTENTION: It didnt tell me shipping price until after the purchase, or I was blind. I have to pay 7€ extra for shipping to Germany.

Only €7 for EU shipping? I might buy one directly from Valve too then.

"The familiarity of a console controller"

I attempted to play titanfall on the xbox 360 at a friend's. It was so embarrassing

50$ US, 55€ Germany just found out. Thats a bit ridiculous.

Man, I'm excited for Valve's future. I wonder where they will end up; hopefully not on the street as homeless beggars.

Man, I'm excited for Valve's future. I wonder where they will end up; hopefully not on the street as homeless beggars.
With the money of steam? xD i think not.... I really i'm curious about what they are planning especially with Re Vive and Source 2. Also i have hope that they will make games again!

With the money of steam? xD i think not.... I really i'm curious about what they are planning especially with Re Vive and Source 2. Also i have hope that they will make games again!
Hey, you never know... Gaben might spend all of the company's money on those delicious snicker bars he eats all day instead of actually working!

Hey, you never know... Gaben might spend all of the company's money on those delicious snicker bars he eats all day instead of actually working!
Snickers makes approx 15 million bars per day. At an average of lets say $1 (He'd probably get a bulk discount) thats $15,000,000 per day he'd have to spend of Valves money. Given that four years ago it was estimated that Valve was raking in approx $800 million a year, that Steam has only grown since then, that Dota 2 was released (estimated at making $18 million per month), that early access games are now a thing making even more rapid turn around time for profits, and they're just about to enter into a whole new market with hardware and their custom operating system...

I don't think it would actually be possible for Snickers to make enough bars to bankrupt Valve even if Valve were to buy every single bar Snickers makes.

Snickers makes approx 15 million bars per day. At an average of lets say $1 (He'd probably get a bulk discount) thats $15,000,000 per day he'd have to spend of Valves money. Given that four years ago it was estimated that Valve was raking in approx $800 million a year, that Steam has only grown since then, that Dota 2 was released (estimated at making $18 million per month), that early access games are now a thing making even more rapid turn around time for profits, and they're just about to enter into a whole new market with hardware and their custom operating system...

I don't think it would actually be possible for Snickers to make enough bars to bankrupt Valve even if Valve were to buy every single bar Snickers makes.

Wow, you made the counts! That is.... amazing!

My brother has ordered one, a friend of mine has ordered two and for me it has just continuously said "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance." every time I try for the last day.

Edit: I removed apostrophes and full stops from the shipping address and it worked.

Last edited:
Back