Steam IM button

Adabiviak

Space Core
Reaction score
I don't suppose there's a button that works like the Y!, MSN, ICQ (etc.) buttons located across from users' names that would do a similar function with Steam? Do these come 'hard coded' with the forum software, or is that something that could be put together as an add-on/mod? Steam is likely to be one of the community services with which most everyone here would have an account.

Here's an idea, bring your avatar back.

I don't know who you are anymore.

Dude! Ok, got it. Where does it show up on your posts?

edit - got it, thanks!

Here's an idea, bring your avatar back.

I don't know who you are anymore.
It's the old Max Evans skateboard graphic - one of my faves. I scanned it in from an old t-shirt, vectorized it, rasterized it, resampled it, and now you have the, eh, thing you see there.
I may change it yet.

2nd edit - wait, now it's gone. Please hold.

It should show up on the top right along with your join date and post count but uh, it seems to be pretty inconsistent right now. Shows up for some people and not for others or it just randomly comes up and disappears after a refresh.

Here, take a look at this thread: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=149463

Edit: oooh, lookie, it works!
Edit2: and now it's gone again. :(

ok - thought I was goin' nuts. For the record, I'm using Opera, v.9.63. Thanks again.

edit - made this post, and it came up. Reloaded the page, gone. How odd!

Yeah, it's a bit strange. If you really want it working properly, bug Munro. :p

Should be working for all now.

GF911 is not new! GF911 IS NEVER NEW!

Also, how about a little dashboard marker like the one for MSN?

It's a link to your profile on the Steam Community site - I thought it'd work like the dashboard marker
Also, how about a little dashboard marker like the one for MSN?

This, but for the actual Steam client. I do notice that all these links are on people's posts now (thanks!), but maybe half of the ones I sampled led to an error. I don't think it's broken on this end though - I think the users have to set up whether or not their profile status is visible to the public (as the default might be 'none', making it not work). I'm testing this now.

edit - dang, that's not it. I still think that it's not on this site's end, as the link takes you to http://steamcommunity.com/id/x, where x is whatever name you supplied in your control panel. I can log in and check my profile on the Steam community site, but when I put in an address using the structure above, it doesn't work (but for some people, it does).

Sorry for the double post - no edit button?

Anyway, I figured it out - there's a difference between your SteamCommunity 'profile' and your 'id', and this forum mod uses the 'id'. If you haven't filled in the text box in your control panel as shown in this screenshot, you will only have a 'profile', and the Steam link won't work.

Once you've entered your ID in the field and save your settings, enter this same ID in your control panel for this forum (not your profile number, not the entire link, not your profile name, etc.), and it'll work.

:cheers:

Back