Steam Refunds Now Accepted

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the longest running controversies for both Valve and Steam is finally dead! As of today, Steam users can contact the "help.steampowered.com" support page to receive full refunds for purchased games and downloadable content; so long as the title was purchased within the past two weeks and has been played for less than two hours. Even if a purchased game or piece of downloadable content falls outside of these parameters, the Steam Refunds page promises Valve will "take a look" regardless. Movies and Gifts are currently not supported by Steam Refunds.

steam.png

Once a refund is approved, the user will receive a full refund within one week, with the funds used to purchase the item being distributed back to the original payment method (Debit / Credit Card, etc) or being added to the user's Steam Wallet as credit. Valve are definitely looking to prevent users from abusing this new functionality, however, as inappropriate activity (such as VAC bans, abuse of the system, etc) will remove the user's right to a refund. The new refund system also applies to pre-purchased titles, which now allows Steam users to revoke their order prior to the game's release or to receive a full refund within the usual two week period following the game's release, even if the game was pre-purchased months prior.

While "competitors" such as EA's Origin have offered full refunds for the longest time, this is a bold new step for Valve which will more than likely help further improve their communication with consumers. There's a lot more information about Steam Refunds over on the official announcement page, so be sure to head on over if you're looking for more details!

This is great!
2 weeks is a surprise though, I expected that if Valve ever implemented refunds it'd only be 24 hours.

The policy we have all been waiting for and with very fair conditions. I've never found myself in such a situation, but it's nice to know I have that line of safety. Although it'll be interesting to see how this takes a toll on Steam Support response times.

I feel like Valve may have been partially forced into this situation with certain garbage-ware that Steam Greenlight has brought in. Hopefully this might act as a deterrent for those individuals.

kek loving the massive butthurt from the clique of indie devs, particularly Brianna Wu "hurr it hurts indie developers"

tough luck, consumer rights are more important (ie valves income)

****ing finally
Brianna Wu is a ****ing joke as are just about every other indie dev

Literally Wu literally has no talent, her call to fame is being a professional victim and having powerful friends in the corrupt gaming press. Like all indie people with their hipster colored hair.

Has she made anything worth playing? Honestly whenever I hear her name brought up it's usually because she's complaining about something rather than about any game she's made.

One shit bratz dolls in space game and being a professional victim, not much else.

Last edited:
Has she made anything worth playing? Honestly whenever I hear her name brought up it's usually because she's complaining about something rather than about any game she's made.

It's hard to tell, the ragers are so obsessed with her you're not going to hear anything else past their impotent anger.

It's hard to tell, the ragers are so obsessed with her you're not going to hear anything else past their impotent anger.

those silly gamergoobers and their misogynist vidya games!

but really, she's been proven false flagger and does things for attention.

Last edited:
but really, she does things for attention.

Wow, she must be incredibly talented considering thousands of people watch her every move and discuss her activities in excruciating detail!

I bet she could make a lot of money from that skill.

Wow, she must be incredibly talented considering thousands of people watch her every move and discuss her activities in excruciating detail!

I bet she could make a lot of money from that skill.

You just described r/gamerghazi and AGG in a nutshell, which also seems to be obessed with totalbiscuit for some reason.

Last edited:
Oh they're amusing too. It's a great little circus you people have going. Mine is a condescending laugh.

Back