Steam Trading Beta Now Available

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
[br]A new function has been added to Steam that allows users to trade items in Team Fortress 2, such as imaginary hats, guns, noisemakers, etc for gift copes of Steam games or even items from other, participating Steam games.
Steam Trading Beta lets you securely trade your in-game items for other in-game items from participating games. You can also trade Steam gifts (games on Steam that you've purchased but not yet added to your Games Library)[br]Want to try it out? In Steam, go to Steam > Settings, and opt into Steam Trading Beta. That's it! Now your Steam Community profile will have an item inventory, and you'll be able to view the item inventories of every public profile in the Steam community.[br]Now that you've opted into the Trading Beta, you can invite people to trade through Group Chat, and trade with anybody in your Friends List who's also opted in. Just right-click on their name and select "Invite to Trade" from the dropdown menu. Once your friend accepts your offer to trade, a trade window will open up. The first time you open the trade window, a step-by-step walkthrough will guide you through your first trade..
You can check out the entire blog post here.

As someone with the entire Valve catalog of giftables sitting in my Steam account, I am now unexpectedly rich. RICH! Bow down before me, peasants! Bow, and uh... let me know if you want to trade.

what
the

oh, it only works for gifts.

This shit is epic. Are Valve ever going to release a bad Steam community feature? I think that would be more surprising for us right about now.

EDIT: ZoFreX, gimme your Steam details and we'll have a test trade :D

Woohoo! Now my vintage TF2 items that I never cared for might actually be worth something

Looking for: Teddy Roosebelt

Trading: My soul

Oh and ZoFreX, I knew I recognised the name. Next time you reddit one of our articles, link our article first with the source within the link...you swine.

Oh and ZoFreX, I knew I recognised the name. Next time you reddit one of our articles, link our article first with the source within the link...you swine.

I'll take your soul and your firstborn son's soul.

This was almost exciting news. I am still awaiting the trading of my actual Steam games. There are some that I have no use for and I'm sure I'd be able to find people who I could trade with or give to.

I really couldn't care less for the trading, unless ofc it's expanded to trade games as-well. But what I'm in love with about this beta is the ability to categorize my friends list.

This is pretty badass, IMO. And so far it seems pretty well integrated!

Can I trade the TF2 hats I got in Portal 2 back into TF2 to make infinite duplicate hat clones? This is pretty strange though. If this takes off with other games does that mean people will be able to farm gold in Spirtal Knights and then trade it for TF2 hats which they can then trade for copies of copies of full games D:

I'm more excited about being able to record games with the steam client in the future, then post it on youtube

This confirms that my DX:HR will be augmented edition. Just so I can trade my extra Deus Ex another game. Butohwait, should there be a general trading forum on the Steam boards now?

We'll never be able to trade normal, used games, that would be far too exploitable.

Unusuals go for >$100 all the time on SourceOP.

I assumed he was talking about a regular hat
unusuals will net you some good shit yeah

I normally do, your site wasn't responding very quickly this time so I went straight to the source. Sorry!

To anyone that wants to trade I'm giving first refusal to HL2net members because you are all fluffy and awesome. I have a Valve Complete Pack of giftables (TFC, TF2, Ricochet, Portal, Portal 2, Opposing Force, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Blue Shift, HL2 + Ep1 + Ep2, HL2DM, HL1, HL1:S, DMC, DoD, DoD:S, CS, CS:S, CS:CZ) and it looks like 3 people didn't redeem Winterbottom and 1 Greed Corp when I did giveaways, and I think I can send those out again too.

Hopefully something in there will make one of you very happy \o/ My wishlist is hyah: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZoFreX/wishlist/ but if you've got anything that's cool, indie, or likely to play well on a netbook then make me an offer ^^

Back