Steam Trading Cards Leave Beta

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
After over a month in an open beta, the Steam Trading Cards feature has finally been released to the community. This comes with an overhaul of Steam Community profiles with new features including experience points, a leveling system and profile showcases. Levels are earned by collecting badges which can be collected by participating in Steam events or by collecting trading cards to craft into game badges.

Each game participating in the trading cards system allows players to earn half a set of cards by simply playing the game, while the other half can only be collected by trading with other players or from the newly introduced random booster packs. Once a player has collected an entire set, a game badge can be crafted, which provides experience points and a number of themed goodies, including profile backgrounds, chat emoticons and discount coupons. Leveling up your profile allows additional customization through unlocked extra friend slots and showcases, which can be used to display your favourite games, screenshots, achievements and much more. You can read more on the official Steam Trading Cards info page, available here.

tradingcardsimage.png

People who participated in the beta have also received a special badge for their profile, shown above, as well as two special emoticons, one for just participating and one for crafting a badge.

Several new features were added over the course of the beta, including booster packs, which are randomly awarded to players who have already earned all their card drops. Other features include new showcases and a whole load of new supported games, including the recently added Binding of Isaac, GRID 2, Warframe, Crusader Kings II, Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4, Psychonauts and Company of Heroes 2. We look forward to seeing what new titles and features Valve plans to add in the future.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 14,356
I posted this about 20 odd mins ago somewhere else if you wanna kill that thread off seeing as its in the News section now. I don't think I can delete a thread I started, can I?

I posted this about 20 odd mins ago somewhere else if you wanna kill that thread off seeing as its in the News section now. I don't think I can delete a thread I started, can I?

I've removed the thread for you.

Cheers nick.

Anyways, I don't see much point in this other than it being an extension of achievement whoring. I may be wrong and it may develop into something that I'd get into... but so far, it just looks like the next step in upping sales by adding Steam 'Levels' by playing games from the supported list.

I think it's an interesting addition, mainly the customization aspect. Adding little widgets to display things I find significant/interesting to me is very nice. It certainly adds more of a "me" aspect to my profile. The backgrounds look pretty slick as well.

Though a small part of me does miss the simplicity of the old profile pages.

Back