SteamOS Beta Released, Steam Machines and Controllers Shipped to Beta Testers

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
slide-jpg.24596

The wait is over and with the Steam Machines having been shipped to the lucky beta participants SteamOS is finally ready for download! The official SteamOS page gives the system requirements, installation instructions and answers a couple questions users may have about the OS.

If you want to set up your own Steam box you'll need a machine with a 64-bit processor, 4 GB of RAM, an nVidia graphics card (AMD and Intel support coming soon) and a USB port. There are two separate versions of the installer to download, a default one and a custom one that gives you more control over the installation. Valve warns though that the installers will erase all data on the computer they're being installer on to. If you want to dual-boot with your Windows machine you might want to wait a bit for a less nuclear option to be released.

The SteamOS FAQ gives more details on the OS itself. It's based on Debian 7.1 and it does feature an ordinary Linux desktop (GNOME) to install and use ordinary Linux applications through. It is of course also open source and if you are so inclined you can view the source here.

Good luck to everyone who's going to try out SteamOS and make sure to tell us what you think of it!

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 9,011
Version 1 is Alchemist. If version 2 isn't Breen then I'm going to shoot someone.

I haven't given much thought to Steam Machines but reading this post I realize I already have pretty much everything I need to build a modest box to play with SteamOS.

Did not expect to see UEFI booting as a requirement.

I think that this weekend to buy a new iron and begin a process of shamanism.:greyalien:
it's easy assembly Linux.... I can next weekend to do the same side my Steam Linux :blackalien:

That was annoying, the system requirements says you need a 500gb drive, but you actually need a 1tb drive according to the installation instructions. Wasted a couple hours at work because of that. Will have to pick up a drive tomorrow to try it.

Uh, what?

He says he's going to buy a new iron begin a process of Shamanism, his people's version of Christmas.
clear.png
:greyalien: <--- This is what his people look like. They are not very proficient in the english language; though they are an up-and-coming race.

Some of his people have green eyes and look like this: :blackalien: There speciality is EAL or: "Easy Assembly Linux." Their mission statement, and I quote; is: "I can next weekend to do the same side my Steam Linux :blackalien:"

Honestly it makes perfect sense, what's there not to get?

He says he's going to buy a new iron begin a process of Shamanism, his people's version of Christmas.
clear.png
:greyalien: <--- This is what his people look like. They are not very proficient in the english language; though they are an up-and-coming race.

Some of his people have green eyes and look like this: :blackalien: There speciality is EAL or: "Easy Assembly Linux." Their mission statement, and I quote; is: "I can next weekend to do the same side my Steam Linux :blackalien:"

Ah, yes... Silly me.

clear.png

How high are you right now?

Back