Stop hating on valve just because of their development time

mrhairspary

Hunter
Reaction score
I've recently seen a lot of comments about how much valve sucks just because their games take a few years to develop. For all the haters out there, there is a reason why the games valve produces takes a while to develop. A lot of game companies around the globe prioritize money and quantity instead of quality and satisfied customers. Valve is not one of them. The games that valve makes takes a while to develop but when the game finally hits the market, people love the product. The game gets high ratings and receives a lot of awards. Instead of hating, you should be thankful that valve puts their heart and soul into their products.

This is probably one of the reasons why we haven't seen Gordon stabbing Headcrabs with a crowbar for while now. But like G-man said in the end of Half life 2: "if and when your time comes around again" it's probably a matter of time until we see half life again.

Thanks for reading.

To the discussion: Why do people hate on such a great company like valve?

I think people have a problem because there is a lack of any sort of communication from Valve regarding the development of a game that many are excited for. In general, because most people aren't stupid petty children, a long development cycle won't mean they "hate on" a developer. The flak that Valve receives is, I'm sure, due to the amount of information that they've given the fanbase

In general, because most people aren't stupid petty children.

You have a far greater opinion of gamers than I. :D

You can usually judge a companies success on the level of hate they receive. Success brings popularity and popularity brings comment, and the most vocal of comments will always be the most negative. That said, waiting is always difficult, and people have varying levels of patience and different ways of expressing their frustration, but Valve generally do pretty well in terms of public opinion.

As for the actual issue of Half-Life's absence? The situation has become such a legend in recent years, that nothing Valve do will ever satisfy people. People seem to believe they are capable of performing some kind of religious miracle to magically save the FPS genre from the mire of mediocrity. When in reality the only realistic hope is that they make a decent game.

Personally I don't want them to make a new Half-Life until they are genuinely passionate about it, there is nothing worse than a soulless husk, shoved out the door to satisfy consumer demand.

They are probably just mad about the lack of communication between Valve and the fans. They don't hate Valve. They are frustrated and use the word "hate" in a wrong way, because really, they love Valve and their games and they want more!

Patience. Play some other non-Valve games and forget about Half-Life for awhile. Use the force. Think.

i actually did forget about half life for a long time

No hate here, I just think that Valve is an overrated company. There are a lot of other companies out there making wonderful games, some of them better than Valve's. But it's a matter of personal taste and opinion.

Valve sent me a free picture so I pretty much have to like them no matter what now

I prefer Valve not giving information to the fanbase during development. Why should they?

Anybody who hates at Valve for not releasing Episode 3 or Half-Life 3 yet really don't understand how Valve works or how the industry functions. Everyone you see bitching about 'How Valve are taking so long' really need to grow up and learn some patience.

They pushed out Portal 2, Dota 2, L4D2, CS:GO, and a gajillion sales and TF2 updates.

They promised three episodes(really, four) that would come out on a timely basis. And they lied. And they're not even telling anyone why.

THAT'S the issue. What people are worried about is that it'll turn into a DNF. And with the direction Valve is going, I can see that happening. They're just not as good as they used to be.

EFaOD.png

They promised three episodes(really, four) that would come out on a timely basis. And they lied. And they're not even telling anyone why.

Yes, they have. Didn't you hear about the whole "Ricochet 2" thing not too long ago? Gabe pretty much explains what happened or what is happening with the series.

They're just not as good as they used to be.

Every game they've put out (with the exception of Ricochet) has received positive praise, Steam has pretty much changed PC gaming (and starting to change consoles with Steam on PS3) forever, and they're one of the only companies that's not afraid to try out new things i.e. Portal. I think they're doing just fine.

Breaking news, Valve aren't as great and golden as people have deluded themselves into believing. Get over it OP. The only reason most of the stuff they release still gets foaming at the mouth praise is, well, Valve fanboys are retarded.

Go ahead and start down voting this post. Prove me right, you goddamned idiots.

@ lunertexcosmo Quit worshiping Valve. Not everybody in the world has to love Valve. Anybody can have their own opinion. And that also doesn't mean you have to downvote people who don't like Valve.

@ lunertexcosmo Quit worshiping Valve. Not everybody in the world has to love Valve. Anybody can have their own opinion. And that also doesn't mean you have to downvote people who don't like Valve.

I'm not worshiping. I downvoted because I didn't like the way he called everybody who likes Valve and idiot and a retard. If he hadn't said that, I wouldn't have downvoted him. Everyone certainly can have their own opinion. I have no problem with that. But I don't like it when people start degrading each other.

Not everyone who loves Valve is a retard, no. The people who blindly claim everything they make is gold...now that's just goddamned silly.

Not everyone who loves Valve is a retard, no. The people who blindly claim everything they make is gold...now that's just goddamned silly.
OK, at least that I can agree with. Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. All I was trying to say above was that the majority of their games have sold well and have gotten good feedback and therefore, haven't gotten sloppy or lost their touch.

o_O ...
MEN!!!
READY YOUR WEAPONS,SHARPEN YOUR BLADES,GET YOUR TORCHES LIT!!!
WE ARE GOING WITCH HUNTING FOR VALVE HATERS!!!
Danny,run for your life,an angry mob is mobilizing go burn you :p

Vlave is great,i love how they support the community with free patches and whatnot,and great modding tools for source.And the sales on steam are just awesome!!

Gabe Newell is a Demi-God and he trained his dog to shit money.

Yes, they have. Didn't you hear about the whole "Ricochet 2" thing not too long ago? Gabe pretty much explains what happened or what is happening with the series.

Every game they've put out (with the exception of Ricochet) has received positive praise, Steam has pretty much changed PC gaming (and starting to change consoles with Steam on PS3) forever, and they're one of the only companies that's not afraid to try out new things i.e. Portal. I think they're doing just fine.

Portal and the Orange Box was way back when, before they had gotten so grubby and mann-conomy bullshit ****ing ruining games with hats and garbage and rereleasing the same game with new maps.
Also I thought Portal 2 was a point and click adventure and a lot of the humor was dry.
Come at me.

The best way I can metaphor Valve with all their TF2 shit is Rollercoaster Tycoon 2.

Free entry to the park, $2.49 per visit to the restrooms.

BUT NO ONE MAKES YOU GO TO THE RESTROOM
YOU CAN JUST NOT PAY

OK, at least that I can agree with. Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. All I was trying to say above was that the majority of their games have sold well and have gotten good feedback and therefore, haven't gotten sloppy or lost their touch.

I forget what this argument is called, but any argument you can also make for Call of Duty is invalid.

Also Ricochet is ****ing amazing.

^Agreed.

And honestly, Valve reusing the same 8 year old engine and REUSING THE SAME ****ING TEXTURES. And honestly, Portal 2 was a console port. How long did it take for Valve finally to finally ditch light mapping in their games?

Valve hasn't innovated in quite some time.

They didn't lie; I think that Valve had every intention of producing those episodes. To say that they lied implies that they knew they weren't going to release those episodes while saying the opposite publicly, and I think that is clearly not the case.

Having said that, it is obvious that for various reasons, development stalled. I would say that those reasons are probably very good ones, given what we know of Valve's development history (just look at the significant re-workings they did to some of their most famous games part-way through development).

Valve have been pretty clear in terms of saying that they don't want to take the fans on an emotional rollercoaster ride as development moves forward, stalls, moves backward, and then moves forward again. Given the reaction of some fans, I can wholly understand this motivation. Valve simply want to be in a position to tell us about a new game when that game is ready to be shown and when they have confidence about its final state as a shipped product. I think that's pretty reasonable.

Unfortunately, there is a 3rd category that I think some of us here fall into.

We are the ones who whole heartedly trust Valve, and know their next release will be biblical.

But seriously, how hard is it to say ''We have delayed publically announcing any Episode 3 or Half Life 2 sequel as we are making a new engine.'' Releasing a new HL game on the same Source Engine would be suicide. They'd be torn apart by the press and alot of fans alike.

Just say SOMETHING. **king ANYTHING!

And this is the category I fall into. Complete confidence in whatever Valve is making, but severely pissed off about the lack of announcements. Stop releasing new L4D crap and give us what we're all screaming about.

Cut the foreplay, I've lost count of how many years it's been now.

Back