Study finds Portal is better for your brain than Luminosity.

Am I a genius yet?

I find that surprising. Don't get me wrong portal is a great game for the brain, but wouldn't the website have 100's of hours of brain training while portal 1+2 is only about < 25 hours at the very max.

I have 100h in portal 2 alone my friend (thanks to many custom maps, creating maps myself, 3 campaign playthroughs, 1 coop and 1 dlc playthrough)

I find that surprising. Don't get me wrong portal is a great game for the brain, but wouldn't the website have 100's of hours of brain training while portal 1+2 is only about < 25 hours at the very max.
I think the tipping point between the two is presentation. The human brain didn't evolve to interpret two-dimensional data, but instead data in a three-dimensional space. A puzzle that exists as a flat image will be harder to work through then a 3D counterpart. It really just boils down to basic compatibility. We have to learn to use 2D data. 3D data just comes naturally.

...I think. Don't quote me on any of this. I'm no expert. These are just idle musings.

I have 100h in portal 2 alone my friend (thanks to many custom maps, creating maps myself, 3 campaign playthroughs, 1 coop and 1 dlc playthrough)

Thats true, true.

I think the tipping point between the two is presentation. The human brain didn't evolve to interpret two-dimensional data, but instead data in a three-dimensional space. A puzzle that exists as a flat image will be harder to work through then a 3D counterpart. It really just boils down to basic compatibility. We have to learn to use 2D data. 3D data just comes naturally.

Well isn't portal and portal 2 actually 2D because they are presented to us on our 2D monitor just like the website? The website claims it does it's training based off games...so couldn't they just make 3D games like portal and P-2

Well isn't portal and portal 2 actually 2D because they are presented to us on our 2D monitor just like the website? The website claims it does it's training based off games...so couldn't they just make 3D games like portal and P-2
2D monitor, 3D rendered environment. It's amazing what the human brain can be tricked into thinking is a real object.

Back