Stuttering Poll

Do you stutter?

• Yes I have stuttering.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • No I don't have stuttering

Votes: 93 65.0%

• Total voters
I used to really bad when the game first came out. Eventually I got rid of it through the updates, and getting rid of the Omega drivers and going back to Catalysts. Now it only does it SLIGHTLY, and only when theres a tremendous amount of new action on screen and a bunch of new sounds/graphics/etc being loaded.

NJspeed said:
I used to really bad when the game first came out. Eventually I got rid of it through the updates, and getting rid of the Omega drivers and going back to Catalysts. Now it only does it SLIGHTLY, and only when theres a tremendous amount of new action on screen and a bunch of new sounds/graphics/etc being loaded.

So you have it? then vote yes.

I think K-Ci & JoJo have the stuttering problem.

I can tell you're lying, cause when you reply you
Stutter, stutter
Stutter, stutter

sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I have that stutter to, but I voted no because every game has that ;) It's my 512 meg PC2100 ram...really if theres only sturring with high action and new stuff, its probably just his ram/hdd/cpu..not the BIG BAD STUTTERING PROBLEM... ;)

Even though this poll is biased towards 'stutterers' (seriously, why would most people without a problem come here?), it appears the stuttering is VERY MUCH in a minority.

I haven't had any stuttering since the very first day (December 24) I played the game. You might even say it's worked nearly flawlessly, with just a few random crashes

Pentium4 3.2C GHz w/ 800mhz FSB, 1GB PC3200 RAM (2x512mb in dual channel config), Intel brand 865PERL mobo, BFG GeForce 6800GT, Seagate 7200.7 7200RPM/8mb cache 160GB SATA Hard Drive, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard, no unknown/extra processes running/spyware/virii free, all hardware components check out fine during burnin tests, latest drivers/bios, HL2 CE DVD w/ latest patch as of today at all high detail 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF reflect world...

Lots of stuttering, especially in later levels, despite a high framerate.

th3Phallex, I *LOVE* your Breen avatar. It just looks so funny because it's so true! All he does is talk bollocks! ROFLMAO!!

No, I don't have a stuttering problem. Well, not really.

stuttering absolutely but not as bad as some of the vids I've seen.

If your taking the time to view this thread make sure you please vote. :)

I do have stuttering.

I blame it on the fact that I can't stand medium textures, so I set it to high textures. Despite the fact that I don't have enough memory to do so without stuttering even in Doom 3. (Something screwy with the way my machine uses memory... just isn't as efficient as it should be.)

Christ is it REALLY that big of a problem? Too many threads with this constant bickering.

If you have such a serious problem with it, there's a small button on your speakers. It's green. Press it.

I goty it. :(

But only on my new computer, go figure, which gets like 4times the frames my older one gets (~50 - 100fps).

CS:S seems alright though, only get stutter in the first round, then presumably, after all the bits and pieces have been loaded into memory it runs smooth ass. I guess its the same story for HL2DM.

Pesmerga said:
Christ is it REALLY that big of a problem? Too many threads with this constant bickering.

If you have such a serious problem with it, there's a small button on your speakers. It's green. Press it.

You dont realise what happens. The game essentially pauses (0fps)when the stutter occurs, so its not just a matter of putting up with sound stutter, but also gameplay stutter.

It is quite serious in that respect, it really does ruin the game for you. i guess im lucky i played through HL2 on my older machine, but still it needs to be put right. In my opinion it renders the game unplayable. And im use to playing games at 20fps on my old machine.

Pesmerga said:

YES it is a really big problem, its not only audio! The audio AND video pause every 10 seconds for about 3 seconds. It gets really irritating and if you haven't experinced the stuttering then don't bash the people that do experince it. I'm glad I played through this game without the stutter but ever since I got my 6600gt its been stuttering.

In a way im kinda glad that 30% of the people have the problem, it means it cant really be ignored by Valve.

HadouKen24 said:
I do have stuttering.

I blame it on the fact that I can't stand medium textures, so I set it to high textures. Despite the fact that I don't have enough memory to do so without stuttering even in Doom 3. (Something screwy with the way my machine uses memory... just isn't as efficient as it should be.)
Err... I hope you didn't vote "yes" because of that.

Cl1mh4224rd said:

I hope he did, that means he stutters. Think of it like this, what happends when you raise the graphic settings on a game? It's suppose to slow down FPS wise, not stutter.

stuttering only occurs when

breen zaps me with the enhanced G-Gun
I want to know why.

I've got stuttering. Main reason i dont play the game much anymore. It stutters too much and takes away from the atmosphere. That and the load times are pretty bad. Good thing the gameplay is worth it in the end though.

Oh, I get bits of stuttering here and there even with textures on medium. It just gets really bad on high whenever it has to load up anything new.

I ordered a couple extra sticks of memory which should be coming in tomorrow (err... today, since it's after midnight) or the day after. So most of my stuttering should be gone soon. :bounce:

it's so odd only the dust maps seem to give me stuttering and sometimes it mildly imrpoves (very mildly) whenI turn down aa

I stutter when I run HL2 and D3 at the same time. Valve should fix that. :naughty:
I know, it is a serious issue but far less people have the same issue you speak of compared to just load stuttering, such as at the begining of the level.

You really consider this a valid sampling? :\

The question and poll selections are too vague. First, it needs to be clarified exactly what "stuttering" problem is being addressed. "Stuttering" is generally understood to be one of two things:

1) There is (or was) a rather serious bug that would case Half-Life 2's framerates to drop to unplayable levels for extended periods of time. This is what is most commonly known as the "stuttering bug". This bug is also exceptionally rare.

2) Then there is what some people refer to as "stuttering" which is the occasional hitching that occurs whenever the game accesses the hard drive. This type of "stuttering" is extremely brief and sometimes unnoticable and shows up in one form or another in practically every game I play.

So for the purposes of this poll, what do you mean by "stuttering"?

For me there are only two, consistent times in the game stuttering happens to me:

1) Blowing the last generator in the "really old building" near the end of Follow Freeman.
2) The explosion on top of the Citadel.

I've only tested this with #2, but if I save shortly before the event, let the event play, and reload, there's no stuttering. Odd...

RedRedSuit, I have about those specs too. A smattering of stuttering, myself.

I used to have stuttering very badly but not recently anymore.

i kinda sorted mine appart from load (new stuff) stutter by setting FPS_MAX to half my V-sync rate (85/2 = 45) the default = 300 which is a bit daft of Valve IMO as most people will get a performance drop at that rate, whearas most people would get a performance gain from a setting of v-sync or half v-sync rate (in extreme case you could try 1/4 v-sync and also changing the v-sync refresh to 60hz (therefore giving FPS_MAX 15) this should help a lot on marginal machines that only just make the min-spec (or Geforce 440mx users)

i never really noticed any bad stuttering, just right after a load, which seems pretty normal.

Back